PDA

View Full Version : Ripper Drive Configuration Issues

Steve Sr.
11-15-2017, 09:58 PM
Hello,

Just bought the full version of Reference and am trying to go through the drive configuration instructions and the results make absolutely NO sense whatsoever. I have two drives as follows:

Lite-on iHAS124E
- Detected cache 6Kb (3 frames) Drive Spec Sheet says drive has 512Kb cache
- FUA supported even though NOT a Plextor drive
- Detect C2 Support - Drive spins up..dn..up..dn..up..dn..etc. After 45 minutes progress bar is about 5%.

Pioneer BDR-209D
- Detected cache 0 Drive Spec Sheet says drive has 4096Kb cache
- FUA supported even though NOT a Plextor drive. I set the drive cache back to 1024Kb before running this test... if that matters.
- Detect C2 Support - Used marked disk detected error about 25% into disk - Product Spec Sheet says NO C2 support!

HELP!!!

BTW, This is under Win 7 Pro. Windows starts to play the CD when inserted. I just close WMP. Don't know if this could be interfering or not.

Thanks,
Steve

Spoon
11-16-2017, 04:35 AM
>Drive Spec Sheet says drive has 512Kb cache

This is a data cache, the audio cache is always much less, however I recommend leaving CD Ripper at the 512KB or 1024KB cache value for safety.

I would not enable FUA on a non-Plextor drive. If the drive does not rip with C2 enabled then it does not properly support it.

Steve Sr.
11-16-2017, 08:33 AM
>Drive Spec Sheet says drive has 512Kb cache

This is a data cache, the audio cache is always much less, however I recommend leaving CD Ripper at the 512KB or 1024KB cache value for safety.

I would not enable FUA on a non-Plextor drive. If the drive does not rip with C2 enabled then it does not properly support it.

Thanks for the partial answer.

What about C2 support on both drives?

What about cache on the Pioneer? Leave it at 0 as detected or at some other value?

Thanks,
Steve

Spoon
11-16-2017, 09:11 AM
>- Detect C2 Support - Used marked disk detected error about 25% into disk - Product Spec Sheet says NO C2 support!

C2 must be supported, you can re-run the test, if detects at exactly the correct point each time then the drive supports c2

Leave the cache at 1024 for both drives.

Steve Sr.
11-20-2017, 05:22 PM
Sorry, got distracted by life! So that takes care of the pioneer...

What about C2 on the Liteon? The test doesn't run properly but the technical details say that the drive supports C2.

BTW, where does the information in "Technical Details" come from? Reported by the drive? dbPoweramp derived database? Manufacturers datasheet?

Thanks,
Steve

Spoon
11-20-2017, 06:15 PM
Technical details is self reported by the drive, however if the test does not run properly then C2 is not supported. There are many occasions where a drive reports it supports c2, but it does not.

garym
11-21-2017, 09:39 AM
I have several liteon drives that report use of C2 but in fact don’t implement C2 correctly (thus I have to turn off C2 in dbpa).

Sorry, got distracted by life! So that takes care of the pioneer...

What about C2 on the Liteon? The test doesn't run properly but the technical details say that the drive supports C2.

BTW, where does the information in "Technical Details" come from? Reported by the drive? dbPoweramp derived database? Manufacturers datasheet?

Thanks,
Steve

Steve Sr.
11-28-2017, 10:26 PM
Finally got everything setup correctly... I think!

Since I have 2 different potential ripping drives I would have expected that there would be completely separate configuration parameters for each drive. Unfortunately, I have this NOT to be the case. It appears that some parameters appear to be global to ALL drives such as Ultra Secure Passes and Maximum Re-Reads.

Is this as designed or is this a software issue?

Thanks,
Steve

mville
11-29-2017, 02:51 AM
Since I have 2 different potential ripping drives I would have expected that there would be completely separate configuration parameters for each drive. Unfortunately, I have this NOT to be the case. It appears that some parameters appear to be global to ALL drives such as Ultra Secure Passes and Maximum Re-Reads.

Is this as designed or is this a software issue?

By design. Settings you are calling global e.g. Ultra Secure Passes and Maximum Re-Reads, are specific to the CD Ripper software and are not drive specific.

If you want different software settings for each drive, you are able to create different profiles (for profiles, see bottom left of the main CD Ripper window).

Steve Sr.
11-30-2017, 09:46 PM
If you want different software settings for each drive, you are able to create different profiles (for profiles, see bottom left of the main CD Ripper window).

This information about Ripping Profiles should be added to the TOP of the configuration instructions page for those PCs setup with more than one possible ripping drive. Unless both drives are IDENTICAL it is highly unlikely that the global ripping parameters will match both drives.

mville
12-01-2017, 05:24 AM
This information about Ripping Profiles should be added to the TOP of the configuration instructions page for those PCs setup with more than one possible ripping drive. Unless both drives are IDENTICAL it is highly unlikely that the global ripping parameters will match both drives.

Why do you assume that the software settings will differ for different drives? I have 2 different drives and the software settings are identical for both drives.

Steve Sr.
12-01-2017, 08:14 AM
Why do you assume that the software settings will differ for different drives? I have 2 different drives and the software settings are identical for both drives.
One drive supports C2 (Pioneer) and the other (Lite-on) does not. Further down the configuration page you'll find different settings.

mville
12-01-2017, 10:49 AM
One drive supports C2 (Pioneer) and the other (Lite-on) does not. Further down the configuration page you'll find different settings.

The C2 Error Pointers for Error Detection is a drive specific setting, not a CD Ripper software specific setting.

Steve Sr.
12-02-2017, 09:35 PM
The C2 Error Pointers for Error Detection is a drive specific setting, not a CD Ripper software specific setting.
Yes, but if you look at the other parameters that are supposedly NOT drive specific (like I mentioned originally) you will find different recommendations depending on if the drive supports C2 or not. Thus to follow the instructions you would have to setup a different profile for each drive to account for these differences.

mville
12-03-2017, 04:42 AM
Yes, but if you look at the other parameters that are supposedly NOT drive specific (like I mentioned originally) you will find different recommendations depending on if the drive supports C2 or not. Thus to follow the instructions you would have to setup a different profile for each drive to account for these differences.

No. The other parameters you refer to ARE drive specific.

Steve Sr.
12-03-2017, 09:34 AM
No. The other parameters you refer to ARE drive specific.
Exactly... But the program treats them like globals (same for both drives) hence the issue. If you want to separate them you need to setup a profile for each drive.

mville
12-03-2017, 10:49 AM
Exactly... But the program treats them like globals (same for both drives) hence the issue. If you want to separate them you need to setup a profile for each drive.

Which version of dBpoweramp Music Converter have you installed?

I have dBpoweramp R16.3, 64-bit installed on a Windows 10 Pro PC and I can configure different drive settings, without the need to set-up separate profiles.

... just to clarify, the drive settings being:
Drive Read Cache
Clear Read Cache with FUA
C2 Error Pointers for Error Detection
8KB Transfers (C2 Pointers over USB/Firewire)

Steve Sr.
12-04-2017, 04:45 PM
Which version of dBpoweramp Music Converter have you installed?

I have dBpoweramp R16.3, 64-bit installed on a Windows 10 Pro PC and I can configure different drive settings, without the need to set-up separate profiles.

I have the same version running on Win 7 Pro x64.

[QUOTE=mville;179748]
... just to clarify, the drive settings being:
Drive Read Cache
Clear Read Cache with FUA
C2 Error Pointers for Error Detection
8KB Transfers (C2 Pointers over USB/Firewire)

Go back and reread post *8. These are NOT the parameters that I was referring to.

mville
12-04-2017, 07:19 PM
Go back and reread post *8. These are NOT the parameters that I was referring to.

So we are now going full circle in this thread and the question still remains!

Why do users need different Ultra Secure Passes and Maximum Re-Reads for different drives?

I'm not sure and you haven't given a convincing reason why, but if you must have different Ultra Secure Passes and Maximum Re-Reads, you are able to setup different profiles. No big deal.

Steve Sr.
12-05-2017, 12:32 PM
So we are now going full circle in this thread and the question still remains!

Why do users need different Ultra Secure Passes and Maximum Re-Reads for different drives?

I'm not sure and you haven't given a convincing reason why, but if you must have different Ultra Secure Passes and Maximum Re-Reads, you are able to setup different profiles. No big deal.

Go look at the CD Ripper configuration instructions paying close attention to the differences between C2 and non-C2 drives.

mville
12-05-2017, 03:04 PM
Go look at the CD Ripper configuration instructions paying close attention to the differences between C2 and non-C2 drives.

Yes, I understand that, but I am yet to be convinced (after ripping CDs for many, many years) that having these different software settings is important, especially when you consider how often drives claim to support C2 but don't implement the support (as Spoon has already mentioned) and that we have the AccurareRip feature. FYI, I have a drive that reports to support C2, but it does not.

However having said that, I have also said if you must have different Ultra Secure Passes and Maximum Re-Reads, you are able to setup different profiles. No big deal.

Steve Sr.
12-08-2017, 02:44 PM
Yes, I understand that, but I am yet to be convinced (after ripping CDs for many, many years) that having these different software settings is important, especially when you consider how often drives claim to support C2 but don't implement the support (as Spoon has already mentioned) and that we have the AccurareRip feature. FYI, I have a drive that reports to support C2, but it does not.

However having said that, I have also said if you must have different Ultra Secure Passes and Maximum Re-Reads, you are able to setup different profiles. No big deal.

I am just trying to follow the Ripper configuration directions which cannot be done without using profiles if you have both a C2 and a non-C2 drive.

mville
12-09-2017, 05:45 AM
I am just trying to follow the Ripper configuration directions which cannot be done without using profiles if you have both a C2 and a non-C2 drive.

Personally, I would leave the Ultra Secure Passes and Maximum Re-Reads settings the same and I wouldn't be too concerned at the moment. In my experience, it won't be an issue as CDs that are badly scratched or have manufacturing errors won't rip successfully in any drive, regardless of the settings. If and when you come across such a CD, then I would experiment with the ultra secure settings to see if you can rip the damaged CD.

What is important is that when you rip, your CD Rip Status reports as Accurate, so ultra secure mode is irrelevant. The good news is you have 2 drives. If a CD does not rip in one, it may rip in the other, as an AccurateRip.