PDA

View Full Version : FLAC file won't play from Asset but will from Kazoo Server

mickc
11-14-2017, 03:02 PM
Hi

I have a file, downloaded some years ago from SoundCloud, and as the thread title says, it will play from Kazoo Server but not from Asset - using the latter (and Kazoo control point on both iOS and Windows 10) I just get the swirly wheel thingy.
I've tried clearing out the tags and doing a FLAC-to-FLAC conversion but this doesn't help.

Happy to provide a DropBox link to the file, and apologies if I've missed something obvious!

Regards

Mick

Spoon
11-14-2017, 03:59 PM
Using a Linn player?

Is asset serving FLAC 'as is' or decoding to Wave?

mickc
11-14-2017, 05:42 PM
Using a Linn player?

Is asset serving FLAC 'as is' or decoding to Wave?

Hi

Yes, a KDS, and yes, decoding to WAV - I only set this a few days ago when I downloaded the release version of Asset 6.1

However, as I'm sure you suspect, when I play FLAC 'as is', the file plays correctly. This seems odd though, as the other FLACs I've been playing recently are ok.

I'm happy to leave things as they are now as that's sorted the issue but I'd be interested to know the reason, in layman's terms.

Regards

Mick

Spoon
11-15-2017, 03:32 AM
The KDS is wired to the computer with Asset on? no wifi and no mains extenders?

mickc
11-15-2017, 03:51 AM
The KDS is wired to the computer with Asset on? no wifi and no mains extenders?

No wifi but yes, Ethernet-over-power. However, I'm able to stream 4K content across the same mains extenders with absolutely no issue. I've been using this as a setup for years, and can happily stream 24/192 files across too.
Interested that, so far, only one file seems to be affected, although it's possible others are too, but I've yet to discover them.

Spoon
11-15-2017, 06:57 AM
Please upload this file to dropbox and PM me a link.

mickc
11-15-2017, 04:31 PM
Please upload this file to dropbox and PM me a link.

Link PM'd as requested.

Mick

Spoon
11-16-2017, 08:02 AM
I have tried the file on a variety of Linn players, with Asset R6.1 (windows) feeding the flac 'as wav' and the file plays without issues. Not sure what to suggest.

mickc
11-16-2017, 10:26 AM
I have tried the file on a variety of Linn players, with Asset R6.1 (windows) feeding the flac 'as wav' and the file plays without issues. Not sure what to suggest.

How strange. Ah well, not to worry. I’ve been using various versions of Asset for years, playing all files As Is, so I’m happy to set it that way and leave it.

Thanks for investigating, though!

Mick