PDA

View Full Version : compilation artist how to get it right?

dikkiedirk
09-25-2017, 07:43 AM
I use Asset UPNP with a Naim Unitiqute 2 player. I have compilation albums in my library, who hasn't?
The different artists on those compilation albums show up as separate artist with a single track in the artist list in the Naim app.
Is there a way to avoid this?
I already set the COMPILATION tag to 1 and the ALBUM ARTIST to Various. Should this suffice? Does the name for ALBUM ARTIST matter or is it ok that it is just the same for all tracks on a compilation album?
Or is there more to it?
Should Asset UPNP be setup specifically for Naim players with the Naim app?

Or will artists on compilation albums always show up in the Artist list?

dikkiedirk
09-25-2017, 09:54 AM
I use Asset UPNP with a Naim Unitiqute 2 player. I have compilation albums in my library, who hasn't?
The different artists on those compilation albums show up as separate artist with a single track in the artist list in the Naim app.
Is there a way to avoid this?
I already set the COMPILATION tag to 1 and the ALBUM ARTIST to Various. Should this suffice? Does the name for ALBUM ARTIST matter or is it ok that it is just the same for all tracks on a compilation album?
Or is there more to it?
Should Asset UPNP be setup specifically for Naim players with the Naim app?

Or will artists on compilation albums always show up in the Artist list?

Looks like I have to set Artist to Various too. But that is not really what I want. Is this only true for Naim players and can this be configured somewhere?

mville
09-25-2017, 10:51 AM
Looks like I have to set Artist to Various too. But that is not really what I want. Is this only true for Naim players and can this be configured somewhere?

This is a question for Naim.

dikkiedirk
09-25-2017, 12:34 PM
This is a question for Naim.

Don't know if it's a question for name alone. Would be nice to get some thoughts from Asset too. Plus a thorough explanation about configuring the browse tree, especially the Compilation option.

mville
09-25-2017, 01:06 PM
Don't know if it's a question for name alone. Would be nice to get some thoughts from Asset too. Plus a thorough explanation about configuring the browse tree, especially the Compilation option.

You have the compilation and album artist set. Asset does not know what the Naim player requires to display compilations correctly, hence why I say this is a question for Naim, i.e. what does the Naim player expect, to help it determine compilation albums, if not the compilation and album artist tags?

Gavin Blackett
10-19-2017, 08:00 AM
Dikkie - I use Asset and have this working on my three Naim streamers.

I do the following:
Set Album Artist to Various Artists, leave the individual track artists as they are.
(If you're fussy about David Bowie appearing under B rather than D, also complete the Artist Sort and Album Artist Sort tags.)

You'll need the latest version of Asset - there were some issues with Naim under earlier versions.

You also need to add Album Artist to the Browse tree - I created a copy of the entry for Artist, but switched the relevant parts to Album Artist.

You may need to re-scan your library.

Browsing using the Album Artist tree element should see all your compilations under V, Various Artists, or using the Artist item would see individual songs under the other letter (D or B for Bowie).

Hope that helps.

mville
10-19-2017, 10:55 AM
Dikkie - I use Asset and have this working on my three Naim streamers.

I do the following:
Set Album Artist to Various Artists, leave the individual track artists as they are.
(If you're fussy about David Bowie appearing under B rather than D, also complete the Artist Sort and Album Artist Sort tags.)

You'll need the latest version of Asset - there were some issues with Naim under earlier versions.

You also need to add Album Artist to the Browse tree - I created a copy of the entry for Artist, but switched the relevant parts to Album Artist.

You may need to re-scan your library.

Browsing using the Album Artist tree element should see all your compilations under V, Various Artists, or using the Artist item would see individual songs under the other letter (D or B for Bowie).

Hope that helps.

Do you also have the Compilation tag set to 1?

Gavin Blackett
10-20-2017, 10:35 AM
I used to carefully set that too, but I haven't bothered in recent times - I'm not sure what it does differently as a result.

Perhaps I ought to check back to see how it's treated, but under Album Artist in my browse tree, I see all my compilations under V, Various Artists.

Dat Ei
10-20-2017, 02:41 PM
And what is in the Album Artist tag for those albums?

Dat Ei