PDA

View Full Version : Removing 'Comment' Tag In A Single Pass

monsterjazzlick
08-30-2017, 01:32 PM
Hi folks,

I have finally decided to eliminate the self-created 'Comments' tag I have been using to provide the 'Digitally Remastered' YEAR. After much consideration, the process of locating accurate and consistent information relating to this data has proven to be both exhausting and time consuming.

And so, rather than me have to individually work my way through all 50+ CD's I have ripped to date, is it possible, please, to use some kind of batch-processing tool so as to remove them all in one fail swoop?

(I own PerfectTUNES and dBpa.)

Many thanks,

Paul

garym
08-30-2017, 03:37 PM
Hi folks,

I have finally decided to eliminate the self-created 'Comments' tag I have been using to provide the 'Digitally Remastered' YEAR. After much consideration, the process of locating accurate and consistent information relating to this data has proven to be both exhausting and time consuming.

And so, rather than me have to individually work my way through all 50+ CD's I have ripped to date, is it possible, please, to use some kind of batch-processing tool so as to remove them all in one fail swoop?

(I own PerfectTUNES and dBpa.)

Many thanks,

Paul

1. Go to parent directory of all your music files you have ripped with dbpa. (e.g., C:\flac). Right click, then in popup menu select "dbpoweramp Batch Convert"
2. Upper left, CONVERT to utility codec "ID TAG UPDATE"
3. click on deletions tab
4. select "single tag"
5. where it says "type or select tag element" use dropdown list or type COMMENT.
6. Bottom right of this box, select "Convert"

This will remove the tag COMMENT from all your files.

Jailhouse
08-30-2017, 03:53 PM
[...] use some kind of batch-processing tool so as to remove them all in one fail swoop?

"One fail swoop" sound dangerous! :eek: I hope you meant "one fell swoop." :)

monsterjazzlick
08-30-2017, 05:19 PM
"One fail swoop" sound dangerous! :eek: I hope you meant "one fell swoop." :)

JH, lol. That was predictive text going by unnoticed on my mobile phone. Cheers.

monsterjazzlick
08-30-2017, 05:47 PM
1. Go to parent directory of all your music files you have ripped with dbpa. (e.g., C:\flac). Right click, then in popup menu select "dbpoweramp Batch Convert"
4. select "single tag"
5. where it says "type or select tag element" use dropdown list or type COMMENT.

Hi Gary.

Thanks a lot mate.

I have just purchased a second license of PerfTUNES and dBpa for my home PC.

Do you just mean a regular right-click of the parent folder? Or doing so whilst dBpa is open, please?

I was not able to see the:"dbpoweramp Batch Convert" you kindly mention:

Much appreciated,

Paul

garym
08-30-2017, 06:05 PM
dbpoweramp batch converter is one of the program that comes with illustrates dbpoweramp (along with CD ripper). Find it in the illustrate/dbpoweramp folder in your programs using windows explorer (called DMCfileselector). Once you find it, start it (double click on it) and once it comes up you can navigate to the top folder of your music files in the left side box, and tick on that folder that to select. then follow the rest of the instructions I gave you. See pic. (p.s. experiment on maybe one album first just to test things rather than selecting ALL your albums).

EDIT: and if you don't have the utility codec "ID TAG UPDATE" available to choose, you can install it from codec central here under utility codecs:
https://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central.htm

p.s. I never see your pictures. They are always pending for a few days (because you seem to post too many for the forum and it limits their availability to others temporarily). By the time they are available, I've moved on to other things so they never actually help me answer your questions. I suspect you post too many pictures. You should stop and consider whether a picture is specifically necessary when posting vs always posting lots of pictures.

monsterjazzlick
08-30-2017, 06:22 PM
dbpoweramp batch converter is one of the program that comes with illustrates dbpoweramp (along with CD ripper). Find it in the illustrate/dbpoweramp folder in your programs using windows explorer (called DMCfileselector). Once you find it, start it (double click on it) and once it comes up you can navigate to the top folder of your music files in the left side box, and tick on that folder that to select. then follow the rest of the instructions I gave you. See pic. (p.s. experiment on maybe one album first just to test things rather than selecting ALL your albums).

p.s. I never see your pictures. They are always pending for a few days (because you seem to post too many for the forum and it limits their availability to others temporarily). By the time they are available, I've moved on to other things so they never actually help me answer your questions. I suspect you post too many pictures. You should stop and consider whether a picture is specifically necessary when posting vs always posting lots of pictures.

Hi Gary,

I had a few tries but I think I will wait until tomorrow when your screenshot is available. I found the Batch-Processor fine but I don't want to risk messing anything up (despite me having back-up). I would rather see the screenshot and try and get it right first time.

Cheers.

garym
08-30-2017, 06:41 PM
All the screenshot shows is the program (DMCfileselector) in windows explorer listing. If you've found the program, you're good to go. Pic won't help any beyond that.
edit: In fact, I violated my own recommendation. There was really no need for my picture!

monsterjazzlick
08-30-2017, 06:43 PM

Hi,

The reason I have been uploading a lost of screenshots is also because I am hoping that any newbies who have just joined/purchase will find them helpful. For instance, they can look at the images and copy the settings accordingly - should they be in the same predicament. And to try and contribute/offer something in return for the help that I have been given.

Paul

monsterjazzlick
08-30-2017, 06:45 PM
All the screenshot shows is the program (DMCfileselector) in windows explorer listing. If you've found the program, you're good to go. Pic won't help any beyond that.

Gary,

I just noticed you added a link. That's probably why I could not find the codec for toffee; because I did not have it installed!

I will d/l it and the have another try in the morning ...

Cheers.

Jailhouse
08-30-2017, 08:01 PM
JH, lol. That was predictive text going by unnoticed on my mobile phone. Cheers.

It's got to be tough when your phone predicts that you'll fail.

monsterjazzlick
08-30-2017, 08:05 PM
It's got to be tough when your phone predicts that you'll fail.

I wish I could solely blame the phone. Its my eyesight which is the main culprit!

Jailhouse
08-30-2017, 08:32 PM
Paul, I looked for the Batch Convert right-click option and couldn't find it. It turns out it wasn't enabled in the dBpa configuration. To see if it's enabled on your installation, open Configure dBpoweramp and click on the Advanced Settings button near the bottom of the window. You'll see this:

Tick the box, click OK, and go back to Gary's instructions.

monsterjazzlick
08-30-2017, 09:05 PM
Paul, I looked for the Batch Convert right-click option and couldn't find it. It turns out it wasn't enabled in the dBpa configuration. To see if it's enabled on your installation, open Configure dBpoweramp and click on the Advanced Settings button near the bottom of the window.

Nice one JH,

Cheers for the screengrab. I will fire it up and have a go in the morning...

Paul

monsterjazzlick
08-31-2017, 07:32 AM
Hi JH,

Am still waiting for your kind screenshot to be authorised.

I do not see the option for TAG ID UPDATE (though it has been d/l and installed)? Here is Advanced Settings window you mention:

And screenshots of Batch-Processor:

Many thanks,

Paul

garym
08-31-2017, 07:42 AM
Hi JH,

Am still waiting for your kind screenshot to be authorised.

I do not see the option for TAG ID UPDATE (though it has been d/l. Here is Advanced Settings:

On upper left portion of batch converter screen (where you are selecting the folder(s) you want), you click CONVERT. Then you'll see a popup screen and at the top on a row titled "encoder" there is a dropdown menu. in this menu, select ID TAG UPDATE.

mville
08-31-2017, 07:58 AM
I would advise folk to view the Online Help pages, as a lot of the required info/help/guides is already there, with screenshots.

RTFM comes to mind a lot recently :)

monsterjazzlick
08-31-2017, 09:01 AM
On upper left portion of batch converter screen (where you are selecting the folder(s) you want), you click CONVERT. Then you'll see a popup screen and at the top on a row titled "encoder" there is a dropdown menu. in this menu, select ID TAG UPDATE.

Cheers Gary,

I think I have sorted it now. It took a couple of attempts. The processing took 10 mins for around 18GB of music.

Paul

monsterjazzlick
08-31-2017, 09:03 AM
I would advise folk to view the Online Help pages, as a lot of the required info/help/guides is already there, with screenshots.

RTFM comes to mind a lot recently :)

Mville,

I did try that last night but struggled to get it to work. But then Jailhouse posted a couple of pointers.

What is "RTFM", please?

Paul

mville
08-31-2017, 09:11 AM
What is "RTFM", please?

Try googling it.

monsterjazzlick
08-31-2017, 09:22 AM
Try googling it.

Hi, I assumed it was in relation to an aspect of dBpa (eg. an abb. term for one of its parameters). Not everyone in the world uses text-speak! Paul

monsterjazzlick
08-31-2017, 09:31 AM

Hi,

As I said, I did try - last night - looking in the online 'help?' section, but was not able to locate the specific remedy.

If this is what you mean in your earlier repsonse:

then I find it quite insulting to be sworn at! I have been nothing but polite and complimentary to every single reply I have received on here to date.

Paul

mville
08-31-2017, 09:58 AM
As I said, I did try - last night - looking in the online 'help?' section, but was not able to locate the specific remedy.

If this is what you mean in your earlier repsonse:

then I find it quite insulting to be sworn at! I have been nothing but polite and complimentary to every single reply I have received on here to date.

It is just a slightly amusing figure of speech and nowhere in my post was it directly intended for you. The advice was general, for all users to view the online help, as it might be easier and quicker than long-winded threads

As I always say though, you don't have to make my advice.

garym
08-31-2017, 11:50 AM

He wasn't swearing at you. Mville is one of the most helpful people on this forum. RTFM is a common term used by many (on the internet and before) to remind people to use the help resources that are available to their best ability.

Oggy
08-31-2017, 12:52 PM
He wasn't swearing at you. Mville is one of the most helpful people on this forum. RTFM is a common term used by many (on the internet and before) to remind people to use the help resources that are available to their best ability.

Even my mother, who never swore, found the term amusing, when I explained it to her, about 15 years ago. It was on her computer quick start, guide!

Couldn't agree more about, Mville.

monsterjazzlick
08-31-2017, 04:49 PM
OK guys, fair enough.

monsterjazzlick
08-31-2017, 05:13 PM
Paul, I looked for the Batch Convert right-click option and couldn't find it. It turns out it wasn't enabled in the dBpa configuration. To see if it's enabled on your installation, open Configure dBpoweramp and click on the Advanced Settings button near the bottom of the window. You'll see this:

Tick the box, click OK, and go back to Gary's instructions.

Hi JH,

Attach. still not showing?; but I am pretty sure I managed to get it all goin' now, cheers.

Paul

Jailhouse
08-31-2017, 05:49 PM
Hi JH, Attach. still not showing?

Nope. We must be flooding the system. :)

but I am pretty sure I managed to get it all goin' now

Cool.

monsterjazzlick
09-01-2017, 03:15 AM
Hi,

I thought I had posted this question yesterday, but then I just saw the related screenshot Jpeg in My Pics and realised I had not!

I was presented with four options for ENCODING when removing the 'comments' tag from my FLAC files:

I left it as it was (in it's default state). Do you think that was OK to do so, please?

Thanks,

Paul

EDIT: In case the (above) screenshot appears as pending:

Above Normal;

Normal;

Below Normal;

Idle.

It was default set to use: 'All 4 Cores'.

garym
09-01-2017, 06:30 AM
Hi,

I thought I had posted this question yesterday, but then I just saw the related screenshot Jpeg in My Pics and realised I had not!

I was presented with four options for ENCODING when removing the 'comments' tag from my FLAC files:

I left it as it was (in it's default state). Do you think that was OK to do so, please?

Thanks,

Paul

EDIT: In case the (above) screenshot appears as pending:

Above Normal;

Normal;

Below Normal;

Idle.

It was default set to use: 'All 4 Cores'.

default is fine. Normal, above normal, etc. is all about what else you might want to do with the PC at the same time. Doesn't really matter unless you're doing lots of other work on your PC while you're doing the dbpa work. In that case you might not want to use all 4 cores as your PC is also trying to run other programs. If doing a batch job, I wouldn't be doing other intensive things typically, so using 4 cores is good.

monsterjazzlick
09-01-2017, 03:36 PM
default is fine. Normal, above normal, etc. is all about what else you might want to do with the PC at the same time. Doesn't really matter unless you're doing lots of other work on your PC while you're doing the dbpa work. In that case you might not want to use all 4 cores as your PC is also trying to run other programs. If doing a batch job, I wouldn't be doing other intensive things typically, so using 4 cores is good.

Hi Gary,

Well, I had a couple of Google browser tabs open, but I was not actively surfing.

I also had 'Paint' open, though I did not make any screengrabs whilst the Batch-Processor was in action.

Thanks.

garym
09-01-2017, 04:05 PM
Hi Gary,

Well, I had a couple of Google browser tabs open, but I was not actively surfing.

I also had 'Paint' open, though I did not make any screengrabs whilst the Batch-Processor was in action.

Thanks.

It doesn't hurt anything to have other programs open and running (it's not going to create bad rips!). But if you're running dbpa using all cores, it could slow down your other programs. But the sort of things you're doing (google, internet, paint) are not CPU intensive anyhow. So all is good. Nothing to concern yourself with.

monsterjazzlick
09-01-2017, 04:14 PM
It doesn't hurt anything to have other programs open and running (it's not going to create bad rips!). But if you're running dbpa using all cores, it could slow down your other programs. But the sort of things you're doing (google, internet, paint) are not CPU intensive anyhow. So all is good. Nothing to concern yourself with.

Thanks Gary,

When the PC is ripping/tagging/or downloading, I am off makin' a cup of tea!

Cheers.

monsterjazzlick
09-09-2017, 09:39 AM
4. select "single tag"

This will remove the tag COMMENT from all your files.

Hi Gary, This sounds a stupid question I know!: but if I have run this process 2/3 times and there is no "comment" tag showing anywhere, then can I assume that it has definitely been removed from all files? I mean, there is no way the removed "comments" tag could be leaving any kind if residue (eg. it is gone visibly, but it is still there, somehow, in the background)? Paul

garym
09-09-2017, 11:39 AM
Hi Gary, This sounds a stupid question I know!: but if I have run this process 2/3 times and there is no "comment" tag showing anywhere, then can I assume that it has definitely been removed from all files? I mean, there is no way the removed "comments" tag could be leaving any kind if residue (eg. it is gone visibly, but it is still there, somehow, in the background)? Paul

no residue. Really all gone.

monsterjazzlick
09-09-2017, 11:52 AM
You use the built-in Query for more powerful searches of the foobar2000 database: Foobar2000:Query syntax
e.g. %date% IS 1978 or %artist% HAS "Miles"

(Thanks Gary.)

... the reason I ask the above question is because, in foobar, I keep getting albums appearing with wrong dates (YEARS). After a good couple of hours this afternoon of trying to fathom out why this was happening, I think I have finally found the root cause. I noticed it happening last month and since then have been trying to remedy it on and off. but to no avail.

So, for example - if I type in the foobar search: 1992, it calls up the album: "Miles On The Corner". But this album was both recorded and released in: 1972:

I then remembered that when I has started first ripping my CD collection (last month) using dBpa, I included a COMMENTS tag. In this field I stated the REMASTERED YEAR (in this case ["Miles On The Corner"]: 1992). And therefore, when searching in foobar with the date '1992', it was calling up "Miles On The Corner" (ie. because it must have been reading the COMMENTS tag). Fair enough:

Then, a couple of weeks ago (with Gary's and Jailhouse's help) I used the 'Batch Converter ID TAG' to REMOVE the 'comments' tag. I also ran it twice again this afternoon - just to be sure. As well as this, I also ran it removing (just in case there were any) all (self-created) 'REMASTERED' tags. When visually checking (in Windows Properties and ID-TAG), nowhere can I see a 'comments' tag appearing:

BUT, still in foobar, "Miles On The Corner" is still being called up when running the search '1992'!? This makes me think that the 'Remaster' year in 'COMMENTS' must still be, somehow, embedded (for want of a better term).

As a further experiment, I just re-ripped the exact same CD. I made 100% sure there was nothing in COMMENTS (it's actually been unchecked recently so as not to enable [I]saving of this field). I gave the CD the title: "ON On The Corner" (to avoid overwriting the original CD). Lo and behold, the latter mentioned does NOT appear (in foobar) when running a search for '1992'! It only appear under '1972' (which is correct).

Hope someone can help me get around this as I am hoping the only option in not to RE-RIP everything?

Many thanks in advance.

Paul

garym
09-09-2017, 12:10 PM
I suspect foobar database is remembering info. Remove the library from foobar (same place you added it initially). Then re-add the library location. That should clear things up.

monsterjazzlick
09-09-2017, 12:18 PM
I suspect foobar database is remembering info. Remove the library from foobar (same place you added it initially). Then re-add the library location. That should clear things up.

Gary, Sounds like a possible lifesaver! Thanks. I tried refreshing but maybe it needs that extra push. Will give it a test ... Very much appreciated matey. Paul

monsterjazzlick
09-09-2017, 12:34 PM

Hi Gary, I removed the database and then restarted my PC. Then I added it again; but I am afraid all of the dates are still incorrect (ie. as though it is reading the REMASTERED YEAR from the removed 'comments' tag). Should it have worked instantly?, or do I need to allow some extra time (ie. similar to when I very first added the database last month - allowing for everything to trickle though)? Thanks, Paul

monsterjazzlick
09-09-2017, 12:51 PM
... just to be sure, I removed the FLAC folder via here:

Library/Configure/Media_Library/Remove.

(Not sure if the upload will show immediately.)

monsterjazzlick
09-10-2017, 09:16 AM
Hi,

I spent an hour or so going through the foobar manual but I still can't fix the YEAR/COMMENT issue. I checked in 'properties' of the music files within foobar (ie. right-click on the file) and the COMMENTS tag was still showing! So I deleted them from a couple of tracks, and the albums, but the changes just won't save - after multiple attempts and restarts.

Then I tried to delete (CTRL+A) the COMMENTS tag from everything and (after a couple of minutes of processing) it appeared to have done so. However, when checking again the COMMENTS tags were still there. It's kinda like they are hard-wired (for want of a better word) into the files in terms of how foobar is reading them?!

I think the best thing to do now is to uninstall foobar and start over ...

Many thanks,

Paul

mville
09-10-2017, 09:53 AM
I spent an hour or so going through the foobar manual but I still can't fix the YEAR/COMMENT issue. I checked in 'properties' of the music files within foobar (ie. right-click on the file) and the COMMENTS tag was still showing! So I deleted them from a couple of tracks, and the albums, but the changes just won't save - after multiple attempts and restarts.

I Windows File Explorer, navigate to a flac with a comment tag, right-click the file and select Edit ID-Tag from the context menu. In the Edit ID-Tag window, click the X next to the comment tag and click the OK button, to close the Edit ID-Tag window. Again, right-click the file and select Edit ID-Tag from the context menu. Has the comment been removed or is it still showing?

monsterjazzlick
09-10-2017, 10:31 AM
I Windows File Explorer, navigate to a flac with a comment tag, right-click the file and select Edit ID-Tag from the context menu. In the Edit ID-Tag window, click the X next to the comment tag and click the OK button, to close the Edit ID-Tag window. Again, right-click the file and select Edit ID-Tag from the context menu. Has the comment been removed or is it still showing?

Hi mville, I only just noticed this reply, thanks. I have uninstalled foobar since my last post now. And am about to d/l it again; so as to start from fresh. The 'comments' tag is not showing in any of the FLAC files when checking via your method. It only appears when 'right-clicking' (as per above screenshots) within foobar. I mean, they only show up (with the 'Mastering Year') within foobar, nowhere else. But as I say, I am going to try starting over again. Cheers, Paul

mville
09-10-2017, 10:35 AM
Hi mville, I only just noticed this reply, thanks. I have uninstalled foobar since my last post now. And am about to d/l it again; so as to start from fresh. The 'comments' tag is not showing in any of the FLAC files when checking via your method. It only appears when 'right-clicking' (as per above screenshots) within foobar. I mean, they only show up (with the 'Mastering Year') within foobar, nowhere else. But as I say, I am going to try starting over again. Cheers, Paul

Are you pointing foobar2000 to the correct paths in Preferences >> Media Library >> Music Folders?

monsterjazzlick
09-10-2017, 10:44 AM
Are you pointing foobar2000 to the correct paths in Preferences >> Media Library >> Music Folders?

Hi mville, I am sure everything was set up correctly previously - in the way you describe above thanks. But I will make extra sure it is set as it should be when I configure it later. Thanks.

EDIT: and here is screenshot of 'properties':

monsterjazzlick
09-10-2017, 11:01 AM
... in the meantime I have spent a couple of hours going through every CD I have ripped and double-checking that every single 'comments' field is blank. And applying Oggy's system of tagging boxsets to all relevant files. This way, I will - hopefully - know that the issue is 100% not related to dBpa. Cheers.

monsterjazzlick
09-10-2017, 12:05 PM
... I have reinstalled foobar with the additional d/l dll files, and searching strings, and Gary's layout scheme.

mville
09-10-2017, 12:29 PM
Hi mville, I am sure everything was set up correctly previously - in the way you describe above thanks. But I will make extra sure it is set as it should be when I configure it later. Thanks.

EDIT: and here is screenshot of 'properties':

I don't know what it is about your pics, but I can never see them. Are you using the Insert Image button? I have seen plenty of other posts today and they contain pics that I can see.

garym
09-10-2017, 12:36 PM
I don't know what it is about your pics, but I can never see them. Are you using the Insert Image button? I have seen plenty of other posts today and they contain pics that I can see.

Evidently it is because he posts so many pics in one day that it triggers moderation, and spoon or someone has to release them. I can never see them either until long after the question has already been answered.

monsterjazzlick
09-10-2017, 12:36 PM

Thanks for letting me know. I can see them fine? I will notify the moderator again. Cheers.