PDA

View Full Version : RE: Artwork Fixes (General Qs)

monsterjazzlick
08-15-2017, 11:19 AM
Hi folks,

I purchased PerfectTUNES and dBpa last month. I have ripped around 20 or so CDs but have a couple of questions regarding artwork, please. I have looked in the 'Help' section of PerfectTUNES.

So, if I rip a double-CD, and I would like to have both the (original) front and rear LP/CD artwork displayed on my playback-device (eg. Sony mp3 Walkman), then do most people use the FRONT cover for CD1, and the REAR cover for CD2?

At the moment (as per screenshots), dBpa uses the SAME artwork for both CD1 and CD2:

But if I wanted to change the artwork for CD2, then you you perform this dBpa, or in PerfectTUNES, or is there an entirely different method, please?

The process for ripping a double-CD is that of using the; CD1/1; CD2/2 method (so as to avoid having multiple folders for a double [or more] CD album).

Thanks very much indeed for any kind assistance offered here.

Paul (UK)

mville
08-15-2017, 11:38 AM
if I rip a double-CD, and I would like to have both the (original) front and rear LP/CD artwork displayed on my playback-device (eg. Sony mp3 Walkman), then do most people use the FRONT cover for CD1, and the REAR cover for CD2?

I doubt it, but it does not mean that you can't. It is entirely up to you.

Bear in mind, that your playback software/device may not be able to display all available artwork.

The CDRipper Album Art Menu is the three ... below the artwork picture, where you can manage your artwork.

But if I wanted to change the artwork for CD2, then you you perform this dBpa, or in PerfectTUNES, or is there an entirely different method, please?

You use the CDRipper Album Art Menu to configure your artwork, before ripping. This is entirely separate to PerfectTUNES, which is used to manage your audio files' tags and artwork, post ripping.

monsterjazzlick
08-15-2017, 12:05 PM
Thanks mville,

So do you think it should work if I split the front/back CD artwork between discs 1 & 2 of the ripped version, please? I ask for two reasons: my Sony Walkman has been sent back to their repair center over the volume issue I have discussed earlier; and I would like to start ripping double-CDs, but don't want to invest time into aforementioned artwork process if it is not gong to work.

I did experiment with choosing a different album cover (to dBpas inferior image). I d/l an image from Google Images and then used this to replace the existing one. If I remember correctly, once I uploaded it, I got a message saying 'replacing artwork' (or something like that), and then after about a minute the new artwork appeared. This was performed in PerfectTUNES. But again, I wanted to check please, would you say this is a good method to use?

Cheers,

Paul

monsterjazzlick
08-15-2017, 12:19 PM
Hi again,

I just quickly tried one to test it out. I changed the artwork within dBpa (. . .) this time.

Then, opened it up in foobar (I have no Sony Walkman at present!):

As you can see, tracks 1-4 (CD1) use the front cover art, while tracks 5-6 use the rear.

Again, I am not sure if I have used the correct procedure but it does look like a start in the right direction.

Paul

Oggy
08-15-2017, 02:31 PM
Hi again,

I just quickly tried one to test it out. I changed the artwork within dBpa (. . .) this time.

Then, opened it up in foobar (I have no Sony Walkman at present!):

As you can see, tracks 1-4 (CD1) use the front cover art, while tracks 5-6 use the rear.

Again, I am not sure if I have used the correct procedure but it does look like a start in the right direction.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Like most parts of a personal library, album art, is another personal choice. One or two, may photograph every page of a booklet, whilst some will accept any old art, including some, totally unrelated to the album!

I tend to be fussier than some colleagues, on the choice, and quality of the image, but as far as I know, they, like me, use one image, front, only. There is no right or wrong, only choice!

mville
08-15-2017, 02:36 PM
So do you think it should work if I split the front/back CD artwork between discs 1 & 2 of the ripped version, please? I ask for two reasons: my Sony Walkman has been sent back to their repair center over the volume issue I have discussed earlier; and I would like to start ripping double-CDs, but don't want to invest time into aforementioned artwork process if it is not gong to work.

I have no knowledge of the Sony user interface, so I have no idea what it will display when viewing/playing albums and tracks.

monsterjazzlick
08-15-2017, 03:01 PM
I have no knowledge of the Sony user interface, so I have no idea what it will display when viewing/playing albums and tracks.

Hi mville, I suppose have to wait until I get it back off the repair center so that I then rip some more and test it out. The center is here in the UK so it hopefully should not take them too long to figure the issue out. Cheers.

monsterjazzlick
08-15-2017, 03:07 PM
Hi Paul,

Like most parts of a personal library, album art, is another personal choice. One or two, may photograph every page of a booklet, whilst some will accept any old art, including some, totally unrelated to the album!

I tend to be fussier than some colleagues, on the choice, and quality of the image, but as far as I know, they, like me, use one image, front, only. There is no right or wrong, only choice!

Thanks Oggy, Well I would like to try and get a decent digital image of the CD cover when possible. And to try and get it right BEFORE I make the rip. Do you think (in a boxset CD) that using a different image (of the original CD artwork) is a decent method to follow, and that it should work on most players, please? Paul

Oggy
08-15-2017, 03:12 PM
Hi mville, I suppose have to wait until I get it back off the repair center so that I then rip some more and test it out. The center is here in the UK so it hopefully should not take them too long to figure the issue out. Cheers.

Hi Paul,

Hopefully they will put the non-European software on for you, Turn to 11!

monsterjazzlick
08-15-2017, 03:30 PM
Hi Paul,

Hopefully they will put the non-European software on for you, Turn to 11!

Ha Ha, it's a real shame though as it's a nice machine.

Oggy
08-15-2017, 03:56 PM
Thanks Oggy, Well I would like to try and get a decent digital image of the CD cover when possible. And to try and get it right BEFORE I make the rip. Do you think (in a boxset CD) that using a different image (of the original CD artwork) is a decent method to follow, and that it should work on most players, please? Paul

I have used a different image for each disc in a box set, when the CDs originally had different images, each CD was in it's own case, and yes, the player will display, the one image per disc, which I believe you have, from a folder.jpg, for each disc, in it's own folder.

Everything else, I use a single, front cover image, if that's what was used originally.

Yes, to me, it makes sense to get it right, before, ripping, and I try to achieve this, but..... editing is available!

garym
08-15-2017, 04:04 PM
I have used a different image for each disc in a box set, when the CDs originally had different images, each CD was in it's own case, and yes, the player will display, the one image per disc, which I believe you have, from a folder.jpg, for each disc, in it's own folder.

Everything else, I use a single, front cover image, if that's what was used originally.

Yes, to me, it makes sense to get it right, before, ripping, and I try to achieve this, but..... editing is available!

I do the same. Sometimes with a multidisk set, there are different covers for each disk and I use these (different cover for each disk). I don't bother with back cover, insides, etc. Frankly, when I'm interested in more info about a CD I'm listening to, on the "ipeng" iphone/ipad controller for my squeezebox music system, I can press a button and it will take me automatically to a wiki page with all the detail in the world about that particular album. Or if I use my Roon music setup, it has a rich set of data/info/pictures about most albums that automatically shows up.

Oggy
08-15-2017, 04:30 PM
I do the same. Sometimes with a multidisk set, there are different covers for each disk and I use these (different cover for each disk). I don't bother with back cover, insides, etc. Frankly, when I'm interested in more info about a CD I'm listening to, on the "ipeng" iphone/ipad controller for my squeezebox music system, I can press a button and it will take me automatically to a wiki page with all the detail in the world about that particular album. Or if I use my Roon music setup, it has a rich set of data/info/pictures about most albums that automatically shows up.

Yes, my app doesn't offer this yet, but it is obvious, that we will all be doing this in the very near future. Related pictures, lyrics, and more, at the touch of a button.

A great app, can enhance a very good player, but, a poor app can practically break, an otherwise excellent player.

Unfortunately, I can't (quite!), justify, an iPad, solely for iPeng!

monsterjazzlick
08-15-2017, 05:30 PM

Hi Oggy,

Here is how the FLACs and artwork appear in an album folder. I am pretty sure all is correct?

I have had a teething problem though (as discussed in another thread) and so I do need to do some more experimenting here.

Thanks.

garym
08-16-2017, 08:31 AM
mystery solved regarding how foobar deals with art and multiple disks. Turns out it makes sense and is not a bug (as noted, how else could foobar know which art to show when more than one artwork is associated with an album. See this thread starting here at post 335:

https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?39942-RE-Ripping-Level-Question-(help-)&p=176234&viewfull=1*post176234

monsterjazzlick
08-16-2017, 09:05 AM
mystery solved regarding how foobar deals with art and multiple disks. Turns out it makes sense and is not a bug (as noted, how else could foobar know which art to show when more than one artwork is associated with an album. See this thread starting here at post 335:

https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?39942-RE-Ripping-Level-Question-(help-)&p=176234&viewfull=1*post176234

Cheers. I think last night, after spending a couple of solid hours experimenting with it all, my brain had just gotten mashed! I can see your point perfectly now, thanks. Paul.

monsterjazzlick
08-19-2017, 12:27 PM
Hi,

Where, please, does 'dBba' source a CDs artwork from?

Is it possible - in PerfectTUNES - to obtain the LOCATION of where the 'Existing Art' is being sourced from?:

For albums containing artwork of which either PerfectTUNES suggests it fixes, or that I feel it is not suitable, I have been searching Google Images for replacements. But I am not sure if this procedure is correct because the end results have proven somewhat inadequate.

Many thanks,

Paul

garym
08-19-2017, 01:08 PM
No clue. But if looking yourself, this is a good site.
https://www.albumartexchange.com/

when you find something it is just a small version. Click on it to go to the full size art.

monsterjazzlick
08-19-2017, 01:56 PM
No clue. But if looking yourself, this is a good site.

when you find something it is just a small version. Click on it to go to the full size art.

Hi Gary,

Thanks mate.

I was looking for the rear cover of Miles Davis's "Black Beauty". That site is useful, thanks, but it only offered the front page:

https://www.albumartexchange.com/covers?q=miles+davis+black&fltr=ALL&sort=TITLE&status=&size=any

Now, lets say I found this on Google Images (it's not the original CD rear, but I think it looks good, and it will do). Now, the DIMENSIONS of the image are: 1500 x 1500!:

http://www.theartsdesk.com/sites/default/files/images/Miles%20Davis%20Live%20at%20Fillmore%20cover.jpg

But my MAXIMUM ART dimensions in 'dBpa' are 1000 x 1000!

Do you need to stick to artwork which is 1000 x 1000, or below? Or can I import an image of any size, please?

Many thanks,

Paul

garym
08-19-2017, 02:01 PM
Import an image of any size and dbpa will automatically resize if larger than your max.

monsterjazzlick
08-19-2017, 02:14 PM
Import an image of any size and dbpa will automatically resize if larger than your max.

Thanks Gary, As easy as that?! Would you be so kind as to remind me, please, of whether I use 'dBpa' EDIT ID TAG or PerfectTunes to replace such existing artwork? I could not find your specific post of last week. Many thanks.

garym
08-19-2017, 02:21 PM
The
Thanks Gary, As easy as that?! Would you be so kind as to remind me, please, of whether I use 'dBpa' EDIT ID TAG or PerfectTunes to replace such existing artwork? I could not find your specific post of last week. Many thanks.

I use edit ID tag. But I think you can do this with perfect tunes as well.

monsterjazzlick
08-19-2017, 02:26 PM
The

OK, thanks Gary. Will have a try.

But what if the artwork you have sourced is LESS that the 1000 x 1000 dimensions, please. I mean, because the image will get stretched, does this mean the end result will look inferior? For instance, I was thinking of using this rear-cover (but it is only in the 700's-size):

Cheers,

Paul

garym
08-19-2017, 02:33 PM
OK, thanks Gary. Will have a try.

But what if the artwork you have sourced is LESS that the 1000 x 1000 dimensions, please. I mean, because the image will get stretched, does this mean the end result will look inferior? For instance, I was thinking of using this rear-cover (but it is only in the 700's-size):

Cheers,

Paul

If it is smaller it will stay smaller. Won't be stretched.

Jailhouse
08-19-2017, 02:39 PM
[...] if looking yourself, this is a good site.

I gave up on finding much decent album art online, but this site looks promising. Thanks for sharing!

monsterjazzlick
08-19-2017, 02:46 PM

Hi Gary,

So do you mean: LOAD FROM FILE:

... but the newly amended (uploaded) artwork does not appear in the CD (FLAC) folder?:

... like it does for disc-1:

Many thanks,

Paul

monsterjazzlick
08-19-2017, 02:49 PM
If it is smaller it will stay smaller. Won't be stretched.

Gary,

So then you will have artwork of different sizes? Will that look uncool/inconsistent, please?

Paul

garym
08-19-2017, 03:14 PM
Gary,

So then you will have artwork of different sizes? Will that look uncool/inconsistent, please?

Paul

Doesn't bother me. Life's too short to sweat that sort of small thing. I try for 1000x1000but settle for whatever the best I can find. I am mostly listening. The only time I see the art is when I'm browsing to select something.

monsterjazzlick
08-19-2017, 03:27 PM
Doesn't bother me. Life's too short to sweat that sort of small thing. I try for 1000x1000but settle for whatever the best I can find. I am mostly listening. The only time I see the art is when I'm browsing to select something.

OK man; fair doos ...

monsterjazzlick
08-19-2017, 03:52 PM
... am still struggling RE: Post *26, please. Cheers, Paul

Oggy
08-19-2017, 05:57 PM

Hi Paul,

1000x1000, 300x300kb, was the maximum size. I chose this, to maintain compatibility, with Sonos, but not all sleeves are available this size, or bigger.

A couple of times, I have used an image such as the 1920x1080 image, from Art_4.jpg, cropping it square (you do the maths!), using, Microsoft Office Picture Manager. When loaded into CD Ripper, this gave 1000x1000.

I've also used the crop from the Microsoft program, to remove the white stripes, from the borders of a few CDs.

Fortunately, the quality of the art available, has improved over the last couple of years.

Jailhouse
08-19-2017, 05:58 PM
So do you mean: LOAD FROM FILE:

... but the newly amended (uploaded) artwork does not appear in the CD (FLAC) folder?

I don't understand why one would want both embedded and external album art. Options! :)

In Edit ID-Tag, click the button with the three dots at the bottom of the window and choose Export to Folder.jpg. Or copy and paste the source image. Better yet, copy and paste first and use the pasted image for LOAD FROM FILE.

monsterjazzlick
08-19-2017, 06:14 PM
1000x1000, 300x300kb, was the maximum size. I chose this, to maintain compatibility, with Sonos, but not all sleeves are available this size, or bigger.

A couple of times, I have used an image such as the 1920x1080 image, from Art_4.jpg, cropping it square (you do the maths!), using, Microsoft Office Picture Manager. When loaded into CD Ripper, this gave 1000x1000.

I've also used the crop from the Microsoft program, to remove the white stripes, from the borders of a few CDs.

Fortunately, the quality of the art available, has improved over the last couple of years.

Thanks Oggy,

OK, so if the JPeg/PNG is over-sized, then you crop it using 'Paint' (or whatever) to get it down to 1000x1000. And so basically you are importing the finished product into 'dBpa'.

That's a good idea about the white border trimming.

Do you ever use artwork which is UNDER the 1000x1000 size, please? And therefore have artwork of varying sizes?

Paul

monsterjazzlick
08-19-2017, 06:21 PM
I don't understand why one would want both embedded and external album art. Options! :)

In Edit ID-Tag, click the button with the three dots at the bottom of the window and choose Export to Folder.jpg. Or copy and paste the source image. Better yet, copy and paste first and use the pasted image for LOAD FROM FILE.

Hi JH,

I changed the setting in Foobar from 'embedded' to 'external' album-art last week, when we were discussing the matter.

I have been playing around with the artwork stuff in ID TAGS and PerfectTUNES today/tonight. I need to get to grips with it more. To be honest, I still could not get it to do what I wanted (despite your kind instructions). After two hours, I just ended up re-ripping disc-2 (of "Dark Magus") again, using the correct rear cover artwork in 'dBpa' during the initial process. Of course, getting it 100% right fist time is the ultimate goal, but mistakes happen and so I do still need to spend some time mastering this aspect of post-ripping/correcting.

Cheers,

Paul

Oggy
08-19-2017, 06:48 PM
Thanks Oggy,

OK, so if the JPeg/PNG is over-sized, then you crop it using 'Paint' (or whatever) to get it down to 1000x1000. And so basically you are importing the finished product into 'dBpa'.

That's a good idea about the white border trimming.

Do you ever use artwork which is UNDER the 1000x1000 size, please? And therefore have artwork of varying sizes?

Paul

I've got art under 1000x1000, and I use the same settings that you do, so bigger art is automatically set to 1000x1000 and 300x300kb, from CD Ripper, options.

If it's obviously got white borders, I'll edit it before, ripping. If a sleeve looks bad, and I've used it, I'll edit it, post ripping: at my convenience! :)

I believe Microsoft Office Picture Manager, is a free download.

garym
08-19-2017, 07:20 PM
... am still struggling RE: Post *26, please. Cheers, Paul

Not sure. Just experiment a bit more. Is it embedding the art or replacing the folder.jpg. I'm away from computer for a few days so can't try it myself. Out west to see the eclipse.

monsterjazzlick
08-19-2017, 07:42 PM
Not sure. Just experiment a bit more. Is it embedding the art or replacing the folder.jpg. I'm away from computer for a few days so can't try it myself. Out west to see the eclipse.

Gary, Ah, it was 'embedding' the artwork but foobar was set to display External Album Art! So it wasn't showing show up in the player! Cheers, Paul

Oggy
08-20-2017, 02:51 AM
Gary, Ah, it was 'embedding' the artwork but foobar was set to display External Album Art! So it wasn't showing show up in the player! Cheers, Paul

Hi Paul,

Using folder.jpg, works well with most players, and makes editing of album art faster, rather than embedding.

Oggy

monsterjazzlick
08-20-2017, 03:02 PM
Hi Paul,

Using folder.jpg, works well with most players, and makes editing of album art faster, rather than embedding.

Oggy

Oggy,

Yes, I will stick to that from now on.

Paul

monsterjazzlick
08-22-2017, 05:58 PM
Hi, Finding good quality suitable 1000x1000 artwork image files proves very tiring and time consuming! Cheers, Paul

garym
08-22-2017, 06:11 PM
Hi, Finding good quality suitable 1000x1000 artwork image files proves very tiring and time consuming! Cheers, Paul

Ill be *almost* done cleaning up my tagging and art by the time I die. Even if I live another 40 years. ;)

monsterjazzlick
08-22-2017, 06:15 PM
Ill be *almost* done cleaning up my tagging and art by the time I die. Even if I live another 40 years. ;)

Ha ha ... I have to agree there! I had no idea how it can get a hold of you. It practically takes over your entire life! Paul.

Oggy
08-22-2017, 06:26 PM

Have you got a scanner?

monsterjazzlick
08-22-2017, 06:33 PM
Have you got a scanner?

I have a reasonably new Canon printer with one on. How good it is I don't know. I have only used the printer facility.

Jailhouse
08-22-2017, 06:36 PM
Finding good quality suitable 1000x1000 artwork image files proves very tiring and time consuming! Cheers, Paul

Take out the size specification and I fully agree.

Oggy
08-23-2017, 12:13 PM

Hi Paul,

I would say that apart from tagging classical CDs, I probably spend longer on album art, than any other part, of my preparation, pre-rip.

On some less common albums, there simply aren't any quality scans. You then have the option of, accepting a poor scan, scanning / photographing, your own sleeves. I certainly haven't got either the equipment, or dedication, to photograph, but scanning is quick and easy. There will come a time when you either use different cover art, or, need to scan your own, particularly, if you want the back cover. It is worth becoming familiar with your scanner, scanning app, and possibly some editing software.

If I have scanned a few sleeves, I tend to save them to file, and gently crop, if required, with Microsoft Office Picture Manager, load it from file, in CD Ripper, and use my settings, (1000x1000, 300x300kb), to compress to the size, I require.

Apart from scanning your own, the covers from PerfectTUNES, are improving all the time, as more people are creating, and making available, better cover art. If 1000x1000, or larger, are not available, some 800x800, and 600x600, covers, I have been perfectly happy to use. Some jobs, like replacing sub-optimal art, falls under the "rainy day", category, for me: who knows what PerfectTUNES, will find in six months time!

If I don't like the chosen, PerfectTUNES, art, searching using, Google, and adding, fanart, 1024, to the album cover name, or using a slightly different search criteria, has reaped rewards. For example, on Google, Images, try, Dark Magus 1024, and see what pops up. Adding fanart, sometimes pulls up some fantastic covers, and at other times a 280x280; but definitely worth a try, and may help save time.

Good luck!

Oggy

monsterjazzlick
08-23-2017, 03:46 PM
I would say that apart from tagging classical CDs, I probably spend longer on album art, than any other part, of my preparation, pre-rip.

On some less common albums, there simply aren't any quality scans. You then have the option of, accepting a poor scan, scanning / photographing, your own sleeves. I certainly haven't got either the equipment, or dedication, to photograph, but scanning is quick and easy. There will come a time when you either use different cover art, or, need to scan your own, particularly, if you want the back cover. It is worth becoming familiar with your scanner, scanning app, and possibly some editing software.

If I have scanned a few sleeves, I tend to save them to file, and gently crop, if required, with Microsoft Office Picture Manager, load it from file, in CD Ripper, and use my settings, (1000x1000, 300x300kb), to compress to the size, I require.

Apart from scanning your own, the covers from PerfectTUNES, are improving all the time, as more people are creating, and making available, better cover art. If 1000x1000, or larger, are not available, some 800x800, and 600x600, covers, I have been perfectly happy to use. Some jobs, like replacing sub-optimal art, falls under the "rainy day", category, for me: who knows what PerfectTUNES, will find in six months time!

If I don't like the chosen, PerfectTUNES, art, searching using, Google, and adding, fanart, 1024, to the album cover name, or using a slightly different search criteria, has reaped rewards. For example, on Google, Images, try, Dark Magus 1024, and see what pops up. Adding fanart, sometimes pulls up some fantastic covers, and at other times a 280x280; but definitely worth a try, and may help save time.

Hi Oggy,

Yes, finding appropriate artwork does take time. Lots of searching! For the time it is taking perhaps I would be better using my scanner! Much of the artwork online is rather poor. I assumed - for some reason? - that Google Images would have much better stock that it does.

800x800 is OK, but I don't like going lower than this amount. I tend to go for what is closest to 1000x1000.

I had not searched including the term 'fanart' before.

Paul

Oggy
08-24-2017, 11:39 AM
Hi Oggy,

Yes, finding appropriate artwork does take time. Lots of searching! For the time it is taking perhaps I would be better using my scanner! Much of the artwork online is rather poor. I assumed - for some reason? - that Google Images would have much better stock that it does.

800x800 is OK, but I don't like going lower than this amount. I tend to go for what is closest to 1000x1000.

I had not searched including the term 'fanart' before.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Searching for covers on Google, appears to be an art form, in its own right. Sometimes filtering by size, (large), adding CD cover, front cover, 1920, 1080, 1024, or anything else, helps, sometimes, it hinders.

Stating the obvious, some albums are simply more popular, and more covers are available. This is improving all the time, but occasionally I am surprised, at the lack of cover art, for what I would assume, is a popular album.

As I've said previously, PerfectTUNES, may offer improved cover art, in a few months time. Only you can decide, what lengths you want to go to, at the time of ripping.

Funnily enough, it was from finding a really high quality cover, from adding 'fanart', that I saw just how big, the file size could end up, if a limit wasn't set.

Oggy

monsterjazzlick
08-24-2017, 01:08 PM
Searching for covers on Google, appears to be an art form, in its own right. Sometimes filtering by size, (large), adding CD cover, front cover, 1920, 1080, 1024, or anything else, helps, sometimes, it hinders.

Stating the obvious, some albums are simply more popular, and more covers are available. This is improving all the time, but occasionally I am surprised, at the lack of cover art, for what I would assume, is a popular album.

As I've said previously, PerfectTUNES, may offer improved cover art, in a few months time. Only you can decide, what lengths you want to go to, at the time of ripping.

Funnily enough, it was from finding a really high quality cover, from adding 'fanart', that I saw just how big, the file size could end up, if a limit wasn't set.

Oggy,

As we know, it's better to get it right first time round. But I have found TAG EDIT ID to be very useful for fixing afterwards.

I dare say artwork on POP music albums are available by the shed load.

PerfectTUNES is great for the quick sourcing of FRONT covers. But rear (etc) requires a bit more digging.

I have never heard the term FANART until joining here!

I must get around to testing out my Canon Prixma MX520 scanner. I have loaded the s/w CD onto my laptop now.

Paul

Oggy
08-24-2017, 01:46 PM
Oggy,

As we know, it's better to get it right first time round. But I have found TAG EDIT ID to be very useful for fixing afterwards.

I dare say artwork on POP music albums are available by the shed load.

PerfectTUNES is great for the quick sourcing of FRONT covers. But rear (etc) requires a bit more digging.

I have never heard the term FANART until joining here!

I must get around to testing out my Canon Prixma MX520 scanner. I have loaded the s/w CD onto my laptop now.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Yes, I always, aim, to get it right, first time!

I only found fanart, by searching for better quality covers.

Yes, I should imagine that more mainstream, rock, has more covers available, but rear covers are still very much lacking. If I was intending to use rear cover art, together with the front, I would scan both, probably 20-30 at a time: ensuring I know what the scanned, file names refer to!

I usually forget to do this, so have to play, "hunt the cover", from loads of thumbnails.....

Oggy

monsterjazzlick
08-24-2017, 01:57 PM
Hi Paul,

Yes, I always, aim, to get it right, first time!

I only found fanart, by searching for better quality covers.

Yes, I should imagine that more mainstream, rock, has more covers available, but rear covers are still very much lacking. If I was intending to use rear cover art, together with the front, I would scan both, probably 20-30 at a time: ensuring I know what the scanned, file names refer to!

I usually forget to do this, so have to play, "hunt the cover", from loads of thumbnails.....

Oggy

Hi Oggy,

Searching for a needle in a haystack springs to mind!

Luckily, I have no kids and so all my CD booklets are in pretty good shape.

What DIMENSIONS though are the average scanned CD cover? I mean, do they appear as 300x300 (or whatever), please?

Cheers,

Paul

Oggy
08-24-2017, 02:13 PM
What DIMENSIONS though are the average scanned CD cover? I mean, do they appear as 300x300 (or whatever), please?

I'll check a couple later, but the CD Ripper, settings, certainly reduce the file size!

Oggy
08-24-2017, 03:56 PM

Hi Paul,

They seem to around 1400x1400, 800kb, but you can set different resolutions.

monsterjazzlick
08-24-2017, 04:07 PM
Hi Paul,

They seem to around 1400x1400, 800kb, but you can set different resolutions.

Great stuff, cheers Oggy.

Do you always go for the MAX resolution, please? I would assume that in doing so would ensure a higher grade of PNG quality?

Paul

Oggy
08-24-2017, 04:27 PM
Great stuff, cheers Oggy.

Do you always go for the MAX resolution, please? I would assume that in doing so would ensure a higher grade of PNG quality?

Paul

I can't remember what settings I use, the file size doesn't seem particularly large, and I use jpeg. Have a play ripping a couple of sleeves, and see how they work for you.

It would make sense to scan at max resolution, and compress with CD Ripper. I believe that jpeg files, are more universal.

monsterjazzlick
08-24-2017, 05:21 PM
I can't remember what settings I use, the file size doesn't seem particularly large, and I use jpeg. Have a play ripping a couple of sleeves, and see how they work for you.

It would make sense to scan at max resolution, and compress with CD Ripper. I believe that jpeg files, are more universal.

Oggy, OK I will try with JPeg rather than PNG. Paul