PDA

View Full Version : RE: Windows Media Player vs. Foobar/dBpa/VLC/Groove-Music

monsterjazzlick
08-02-2017, 02:46 PM
Hi folks,

I did not want to hijack someone else's thread which is similar (though running a bit dry). Hence I have started this fresh one.

I originally ripped my CD collection to mp3 format. For playing such files on my PC (Win_10), I have used 'Windows Media Player' exclusively. 'WMP' was also used to rip my CD collection. I soon came to realize that 'WMP' has produced a multitude of glitches during the ripping process as well as skipping during playback (I may as well have kept my scratched vinyl collection!).

I have recently purchased 'dBpa' and also 'Perfect Tunes', and am in the process of re-ripping everything again - as FLAC. I am not sure if I am going to rip absolutely everything again (though I may well do).

I started using 'Groove Music' (please see attach.) to play my handful of newly ripped FLACs and also some mp3s (mp3's?) now and again. 'Groove Music' certainly is way more stable than 'WMP'; but some of the mp3's still jump because the initial 'WMP' ripping process was inferior.

I wondered, please, which player people use on their PC to playback mp3/Wav/FLAC files? I noticed one mentioned called 'Foobar', which I had not heard of before. I have used 'VLC' breifly in the past (on my old 'Win_XP' PC), but I seem to remember it taking over and changing all of my desktop icons etc to orange traffic cones! Maybe it came alongside bloatware?

Many thanks in advance for any kind assistance offered here.

Best,

Paul

Jailhouse
08-02-2017, 04:10 PM
I use foobar2000 (http://www.foobar2000.org/) to play FLAC and mp3. Works well "out of the box," but highly customizable if you want to go there; well-supported; and free.

monsterjazzlick
08-02-2017, 04:46 PM
I use foobar2000 (http://www.foobar2000.org/) to play FLAC and mp3. Works well "out of the box," but highly customizable if you want to go there; well-supported; and free.

Cheers JH,

You find it better than VLC and Groove-Music?

Is there bloatware and does it try to change your toolbar and search-engine etc? I am assuming not otherwise you wouldn't be recommending it! Or do you have to run the 'Custom Install'. I ask because naturally I am sometimes dubious of s/w which is FREE!

Do you never consider using 'dBpa' as a player for your music files?

Many thanks,

Paul

garym
08-02-2017, 05:41 PM
Dbpa is not a player. Foobar2000 is the go to player for many serious digital music users. I wouldn't let WMP touch my files. It's practically a virus given the stuff it does to your files without permission.

monsterjazzlick
08-02-2017, 05:49 PM
Dbpa is not a player. Foobar2000 is the go to player for many serious digital music users. I wouldn't let WMP touch my files. It's practically a virus given the stuff it does to your files without permission.

Hi Gary,

Ha ha ...

Would you uninstall 'WMA' from a PC?

Is 'Foobar' easy to install?

In 'dBpa' there is a player (ie. on the lower left toolbar within the 'CD Ripper' page). But perhaps this is meant to be a simple means of testing the CD you are ripping?

Paul

garym
08-02-2017, 05:58 PM
Hi Gary,

Ha ha ...

Would you uninstall 'WMA' from a PC?

Is 'Foobar' easy to install?

In 'dBpa' there is a player (ie. on the lower left toolbar within the 'CD Ripper' page). But perhaps this is meant to be a simple means of testing the CD you are ripping?

Paul

I haven't let WMP complete its setup on any of the four windows machines I use. Foobar2000 easy to install, but a bit of a learning curve.

monsterjazzlick
08-02-2017, 06:07 PM
I haven't let WMP complete its setup on any of the four windows machines I use. Foobar2000 easy to install, but a bit of a learning curve.

Cheers Gary,

I'll uninstall 'WMP' in the morning!

Is the 'Foobar' forum as friendly as this one, would you know?

Paul

garym
08-02-2017, 06:49 PM
Cheers Gary,

I'll uninstall 'WMP' in the morning!

Is the 'Foobar' forum as friendly as this one, would you know?

Paul

I post there some. No not as friendly. Hydrogenaud.io is almost the only general digital music forum I trust. But they are pretty serious and fully expect you've done your homework.

monsterjazzlick
08-02-2017, 07:02 PM
I post there some. No not as friendly. Hydrogenaud.io is almost the only general digital music forum I trust. But they are pretty serious and fully expect you've done your homework.

Gary,

I stopped posting on the Steinberg Cubase forum cause it got so clicky and opinionated. I posted a couple of threads not so long ago and didn't get one reply. Most of the decent people have jumped ship - moving over to Reaper.

I only want a music player on my PC purely to listen to my CD collection - soon to be ripped to FLAC; and maybe to create some playlists.

Just joined Hydrogenaud.io

Paul

garym
08-02-2017, 07:15 PM
Gary,

I stopped posting on the Steinberg Cubase forum cause it got so clicky and opinionated. I posted a couple of threads not so long ago and didn't get one reply. Most of the decent people have jumped ship - moving over to Reaper.

I only want a music player on my PC purely to listen to my CD collection - soon to be ripped to FLAC; and maybe to create some playlists.

Just joined Hydrogenaud.io

Paul

Im traveling in California for business until mid next week. Afterwards, I'll send you some files and simple insructions for setting up foobar2000 the way I use.

monsterjazzlick
08-02-2017, 07:23 PM
Im traveling in California for business until mid next week. Afterwards, I'll send you some files and simple insructions for setting up foobar2000 the way I use.

That's great man. Nice one dude.

We are going on a family holiday next year to Florida! Near to Tampa.

Paul

Jailhouse
08-02-2017, 10:38 PM
Cheers JH,

You find it better than VLC and Groove-Music?

I've only used VLC for music. Groove made the scene after I started using foobar2000, and I feel no need to try it as I've configured foobar to do exactly what I want.

Is there bloatware and does it try to change your toolbar and search-engine etc? I am assuming not otherwise you wouldn't be recommending it! Or do you have to run the 'Custom Install'. I ask because naturally I am sometimes dubious of s/w which is FREE!

foobar is foobar, and nothing more. Just make sure you download from the official site at the link I provided.

As for changing things like the toolbar and search engine, VLC should also be downloaded from its official site. It's the only way to ensure a clean installer.

Jailhouse
08-02-2017, 10:42 PM
I wouldn't let WMP touch my files. It's practically a virus given the stuff it does to your files without permission.

Or the stuff it does to your files with permission. I configured WMP to do nothing but play files, and use it when checking downloads I might not want to add to my library.

Jailhouse
08-02-2017, 11:04 PM
Sorry, but that's bad form. Giving away ripped files does nothing to support artists (and, at least in the US, is illegal). Anyone who needs FLAC files of a CD should buy and rip (and keep) their own copy.

Jailhouse

monsterjazzlick
08-03-2017, 06:15 AM
Sorry, but that's bad form. Giving away ripped files does nothing to support artists (and, at least in the US, is illegal). Anyone who needs FLAC files of a CD should buy and rip (and keep) their own copy.

Jailhouse

I stand corrected. Yes, that is wrong in hindsight. I wanted to offer Gary something in return and it seemed the obvious thing; it was very late last night and I don't put much thought into it. I agree, the artist should not be short changed on revenue.

Paul

monsterjazzlick
08-03-2017, 03:37 PM
Or the stuff it does to your files with permission. I configured WMP to do nothing but play files, and use it when checking downloads I might not want to add to my library.

Hi JH,

I am not sure where to locate 'WMP' so as to uninstall it, please? I searched via the Control Panel, but to to no avail.

Thanks,

Paul

monsterjazzlick
08-03-2017, 03:49 PM

Hi JH,

Have d/l 'Foobar', thanks.

It played a quick flick thru a CD fine. It does not show the artwork, but maybe I need to set something; I can look at it more over the weekend ...

Cheers,

Paul

monsterjazzlick
08-03-2017, 05:06 PM

Hi Gary,

Have joined and created a profile on 'Hydrogenaud.io'.

Cheers.

Jailhouse
08-03-2017, 06:24 PM
Hi JH,

I am not sure where to locate 'WMP' so as to uninstall it, please? I searched via the Control Panel, but to to no avail.

I doubt it can be deleted, being baked into Windows. If you have any file types that open by default in WMP and you don't want them to, set those to another app. Then ignore WMP.

monsterjazzlick
08-03-2017, 07:19 PM
I doubt it can be deleted, being baked into Windows. If you have any file types that open by default in WMP and you don't want them to, set those to another app. Then ignore WMP.

Hi JH,

OK, I see. It's inextricably embedded within 'Windows Essentials'. Bummer.

But I can, as you kindly suggest, disassociate it from opening all music files.

Cheers,

Paul

mville
08-03-2017, 07:20 PM

In Windows 10 go here:

Control Panel >> Programs and Features >> Turn Windows features on or off >> Media Features

then, un-tick Windows media Player.

monsterjazzlick
08-03-2017, 07:22 PM
In Windows 10 go here:

Control Panel >> Programs and Features >> Turn Windows features on or off >> Media Features

then, un-tick Windows media Player.

Mville,

Great stuff.

Will do so tomorrow...

Paul

monsterjazzlick
08-04-2017, 12:05 PM
Hi again,

Have disabled 'WMP' and associated 'Foobar' instead.

Paul

monsterjazzlick
08-05-2017, 03:57 PM
Hi,

I fully admit I have not had much free time to play with my newly installed s/w 'Foobar'. Though I am using it each day now instead of that awful dinosaur equivalent from Windows.

Perhaps - should anyone be interested - I might open up a discussion on listening/ear-training techniques in the future (not a tutorial, but rather just a mash-up for everyone to throw their own personal experiences/methods into the mix.

Anyway, I do have a quick question and if anyone could kindly answer I would be very grateful:

In 'Foobar', is it possible to LOOP a single track, please? So, I click on a single track (from a digital album on my hard-drive) and it plays this same track (only) round and round?

Not sure what you would call such a mode. 'Repeat Play'?

Cheers,

Paul

monsterjazzlick
08-05-2017, 05:01 PM
... solved the above now, thanks!

monsterjazzlick
08-08-2017, 05:30 PM
Hi,

I disassociated 'Windoze_Media_Player' from opening any music files (ie. when I double-click on an mp3/FLAC). However, when I insert a hard-copy CD (ie. to be ripped by 'dBpa'), 'WMP' automatically opens and starts to play the entire album.

Is there a way to permanently prevent this action, please? It's a shame I just can't completely uninstall the awful thing!

Cheers,

Paul

Jailhouse
08-08-2017, 09:52 PM
If my remembery is still working, you're using Windows 10. So do this:

- Click on the Start button and type in control panel.

- When it pops up, click on Hardware and Sound

- In the Autoplay section, click on Play CDs or other medial automatically.

- Choose your default actions for the various devices. CDs is the fifth section down.

Alternatively, you can cancel AutoPlay altogether by ticking the box at the top of the window.

monsterjazzlick
08-09-2017, 08:28 AM
Thanks JH,

Yes, I am on Win_10.

I have found and set it accordingly now!

Cheers.

garym
08-10-2017, 11:24 AM
As promised, here's some Foobar2000 stuff I use. Keep in mind there are thousands of ways to setup the way foobar2000 works and displays. It is that flexible. Also keep in mind that I'm no foobar guru, and my setup is just designed to work for the simple things I use foobar for (playing files on my computer). Foobar is not even my main library/player. I use it on my office computer and to check a few things on my home computer. My main music library is using a headless server running linux OS, and feeding files to Logitech Media Server (LMS) which I then control with laptop, iphone, or ipad to play music through various squeezebox networked music players around my house. I also have a setup I'm playing with using these files and a Roon Labs library to feed music to some local "roon ready" networked music players.

Anyhow back to foobar:

1. Install foobar2000 (you already have I believe). From here:
http://www.foobar2000.org/getfile/274b3a9b69bb8f3cb8f17f126621a389/foobar2000_v1.3.16.exe

2. after foobar is installed and it works, exit the foobar program and install the following components in the foobar component folder (get components from:
http://www.foobar2000.org/components

Facets 1.0
File Integrity Verifier 1.1.2

when you download these components, you'll end up unzipping I recall and the main thing is that the two component files above (after unzipping) end up in this folder:
C:\Program Files (x86)\foobar2000\components

3. Download this file to your desktop (I'll leave it there a few days)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27403489/foobartheme_garym.fth

4. Then restart foobar2000.

5. In foobar2000, go to menu at top, FILE > PREFERENCES > click on "Default User Interface". To the right you see "Theme Management" Click on "import theme".
This will open a box for you to browse to and selected the file "foobartheme_garym.fth" you saved above. Select this file and then click "open". This should import my theme into foobar2000.

6. Exit foobar2000 then reopen the program.

7. in foobar2000 menu, click on LIBRARY, then CONFIGURE. Under "music folders" click "add", then browse to the top level directory (folder) of the directory on your computer holding all your music files (e.g., C:\music). Then click "Apply" then OK. It may take a while to read all your music files into the library. (well, it does for my ~100,000 tracks anyhow.)

At this point you have foobar2000 setup the way I personally use it. On the upper left box, click on "playlists" tab. (note the other tabs too there you can click on...try these too). After clicking on Playlist tab, double click on "Library Selection". You should now see the boxes to the right populate with artist, tracks, albums names, genre, etc. When You select a track to play, you should see the album art in lower left. Also, at the bottom and top of the screen, any now playing song shows you track, album, artist, type of file, Replay Gain values, etc. At the top of each column you can click on the title to sort by name, etc. Click once and you see A...Z. Click again you see Z....A, etc. I often click on the "last modified" column to see things I recently added/edited.

p.s. Look at the "radiostreaming" under playlists and you'll see some internet radio stations you may like. Well, you'll like the first few as they are all jazz! EDIT: Actually, I'm not sure that internet radio playlist carries over with the theme import....so you may not see this after all.

Also note that foobar is very powerful and can do file conversions, ripping, tag editing, etc. I don't use it for any of those purposes. I just use it for playing. I use dbpa for ripping/converting and sometimes mp3tag for some tag editing.

Have fun!

monsterjazzlick
08-10-2017, 12:26 PM
Wow, thanks Gary!

Gee, that's a shed load of info.

I am using 'Foobar' now instead of that damn awful 'WMP'!

I have quickly skimmed through your kind email. But I wanted to ask, please:

I find the 'playbar' (ie. Play/RR/FF/Stop) buttons quite small. I am not sure how others feel about it? And so do you know if there is a way to make this region bigger, as a whole?

And secondly, on the 'timeline' of the player, is it possible for it to display the duration of how long the track has been playing for, and how long is left?

Many thanks.

garym
08-10-2017, 02:24 PM
lot of info, but doing all the steps will take only 5 minutes in total!

regarding timeline of player (duration, etc.), I've made a change to my setup that will allow this. Do this (and you can even do this in your current setup without doing my other steps).

FILE > PREFERENCES, click on Default User Interface

on the right under "Playback state display formatting" copy the following string into the "Window title" and the "Status bar" boxes (replacing what's there)

'*'%track number% '- '%title% %playback_time%/%length% '['%artist% - %album%']' %codec% %bitrate%kbs |%__bitspersample% bits|, '['RG Album %__replaygain_album_gain%/ RG Track %__replaygain_track_gain%']' $if(%hdcd%,HDCD = YES)

Then at bottom and top of foobar window, right after the track no and name it will show current time played in the track over the total time in the track.

EDIT: re button size, there probably is a way to change, but I have no idea. I can see if you right click on the control bar at top (stop, pause, play, etc.), the popup menu has "customize button" at bottom of list. If you click on this, I see you can highlight a control and click on "change icon". But you'd need to have a replacement icon from somewhere. And it may or may not be bigger. Probably all sorts of ways to customize, but I've never looked into it.

EDIT2: I found this when I googled for "change foobar2000 button size"
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,86099.0.html

monsterjazzlick
08-10-2017, 04:39 PM
regarding timeline of player (duration, etc.), I've made a change to my setup that will allow this. Do this (and you can even do this in your current setup without doing my other steps).

FILE > PREFERENCES, click on Default User Interface

on the right under "Playback state display formatting" copy the following string into the "Window title" and the "Status bar" boxes (replacing what's there)

Then at bottom and top of foobar window, right after the track no and name it will show current time played in the track over the total time in the track.

Many thanks Gary,

Do you mean, please, that it only shows you how long each track lasts for?

Or, like in 'Windows Media Player', it will show the duration as it ticks away on the timeline:

Much appreciated.

monsterjazzlick
08-10-2017, 05:01 PM
EDIT: re button size, there probably is a way to change, but I have no idea. I can see if you right click on the control bar at top (stop, pause, play, etc.), the popup menu has "customize button" at bottom of list. If you click on this, I see you can highlight a control and click on "change icon". But you'd need to have a replacement icon from somewhere. And it may or may not be bigger. Probably all sorts of ways to customize, but I've never looked into it.

EDIT2: I found this when I googled for "change foobar2000 button size"
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,86099.0.html

Cheers,

I checked out the forum LINK.

Seems it was back in 2011 this mater was discussed. Not sure if there has been an update since?

It's quite small (I find) but I can live with it for the time being. It's probably something I will put more effort into solving once I have a 100 x CDs ripped later down the line.

Paul

garym
08-10-2017, 05:19 PM
Many thanks Gary,

Do you mean, please, that it only shows you how long each track lasts for?

Or, like in 'Windows Media Player', it will show the duration as it ticks away on the timeline:

Much appreciated.

it will show the time decending as the track plays. So, for example if you have a track that is 5:56 long, you would start playing it and the display at top and bottom of foobar screen will show

5:56/5:56, 5:55/5:56, 5:54/5:56.....0.19/5:56, 0.18/5:56 and so on. (it's not showing all these at once, it's counting down as it plays).

Also, I noticed the forum changed my * to *. Use this::

'*'%track number% '- '%title% %playback_time%/%length% '['%artist% - %album%']' %codec% %bitrate%kbs |%__bitspersample% bits|, '['RG Album %__replaygain_album_gain%/ RG Track %__replaygain_track_gain%']' $if(%hdcd%,HDCD = YES)

for some odd reason the forum changes 'poundsign symbol' (but use the crosshatch symbol not the word poundsign) to '*' in the string above. Just manually fix after you copy it in.

monsterjazzlick
08-10-2017, 06:38 PM
Also, I noticed the forum changed my * to *. Use this::

for some odd reason the forum changes 'poundsign symbol' (but use the crosshatch symbol not the word poundsign) to '*' in the string above. Just manually fix after you copy it in.

Cheers,

I tried it again substituting the rogue characters, but I still don't be able to seem to get it going I am afraid?:

Because of the slight issue with the typos created by this forums text formatting, perhaps you might be so kind as to PM me the 'string' at:

paulseaman1 <at> hotmail.com

I can post a screenshot for everyone once it's working!

Thanks a lot.

garym
08-10-2017, 09:30 PM
Cheers,

I tried it again substituting the rogue characters, but I still don't be able to seem to get it going I am afraid?:

Because of the slight issue with the typos created by this forums text formatting, perhaps you might be so kind as to PM me the 'string' at:

I can post a screenshot for everyone once it's working!

Thanks a lot.

try this. should work.

%track number% '- '%title% %playback_time%/%length% '['%artist% - %album%']' %codec% %bitrate%kbs |%__bitspersample% bits|, '['RG Album %__replaygain_album_gain%/ RG Track %__replaygain_track_gain%']' $if(%hdcd%,HDCD = YES)

monsterjazzlick
08-11-2017, 10:17 AM
try this. should work.

Cheers Gary.

Have just tried it out.

So it displays the real-time duration-count as per screenshot, please?:

Paul

garym
08-11-2017, 10:26 AM
Cheers Gary.

Have just tried it out.

So it displays the real-time duration-count as per screenshot, please?:

Paul

I can never see your screenshot postings. They always say "attachments pending approval" and don't work for me. But it seems like oggy can see them.

But you've tried it correct. If so, you should be seeing real time duration count down next to track no and name. Are you not seeing it. Try posting a link to your images via dropbox or something.

monsterjazzlick
08-11-2017, 10:36 AM
I can never see your screenshot postings. They always say "attachments pending approval" and don't work for me. But it seems like oggy can see them.

But you've tried it correct. If so, you should be seeing real time duration count down next to track no and name. Are you not seeing it. Try posting a link to your images via dropbox or something.

Hi Gary,

Yes, the duration-time is in the top left next door to the track-name, thanks.

It is a shame you can not seem to view my screenshots? I might email Mr. Spoon. Others are able to view them though.

Unfortunately, once I have uploaded a screenshot then I delete it from my PC. And so I am not able to re-post them elsewhere now.

Paul

garym
08-11-2017, 10:41 AM
Hi Gary,

Yes, the duration-time is in the top left next door to the track-name, thanks.

It is a shame you can not seem to view my screenshots? I might email Mr. Spoon. Others are able to view them though.

Unfortunately, once I have uploaded a screenshot then I delete it from my PC. And so I am not able to re-post them elsewhere now.

Paul

Actually, I can see your older shots now. Must be some sort of time delay. In any case, it seems the display is working for you. Have you tried the other foobar2000 setup I suggested.

monsterjazzlick
08-11-2017, 10:47 AM

I have just emailed the Team. Cheers.

monsterjazzlick
08-11-2017, 10:48 AM
Actually, I can see your older shots now. Must be some sort of time delay. In any case, it seems the display is working for you. Have you tried the other foobar2000 setup I suggested.

Oh, that's weird? Maybe there is a cross-Atlantic delay of sorts?

I will get to your other Foobar configurations later on, thanks.

Oggy
08-11-2017, 11:00 AM

Hi,

Originally, I could see all the screenshots, but on this thread, I'm also seeing, "attachments pending approval". Clicking on the attachment, I get, "Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator".

I've just checked, and the attachments in. Ripping Level Question (help?), seem to be OK.

garym
08-11-2017, 11:09 AM
I've just checked, and the attachments in. Ripping Level Question (help?), seem to be OK.

Same for me

monsterjazzlick
08-11-2017, 11:11 AM
Hi,

Originally, I could see all the screenshots, but on this thread, I'm also seeing, "attachments pending approval". Clicking on the attachment, I get, "Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator".

Oggy - All the PNGs above open fine at my end? It's a real shame if they don't elsewhere though as I have deleted them all as I go along! - Paul

garym
08-11-2017, 11:26 AM
On my ipad, I'm now seeing all these screen shots.

Oggy
08-11-2017, 12:31 PM

Same here.

monsterjazzlick
08-11-2017, 01:50 PM

Gary - that's weird. Not sure why they might display on one device but not on another! Paul

monsterjazzlick
08-11-2017, 02:25 PM
Have you tried the other foobar2000 setup I suggested.

Gary - I have d/l the three items relating to foobar, thanks. I will have a look at installing over the weekend. Paul

Jailhouse
08-11-2017, 09:21 PM
Gary - that's weird. Not sure why they might display on one device but not on another! Paul

Uploaded files have to be checked to ascertain that they haven't been malformed in order to mess with the forum software. Wait until links are displayed without being encapsulated in the "pending approval" box before clicking on them.

garym
08-12-2017, 07:23 AM
they eventually worked on my windows lap top too.

monsterjazzlick
08-12-2017, 12:33 PM
Uploaded files have to be checked to ascertain that they haven't been malformed in order to mess with the forum software. Wait until links are displayed without being encapsulated in the "pending approval" box before clicking on them.

JH, For me, I can view the PNGs as soon as they have been upoladed. But maybe that is because I am the OP/uploader? Paul

monsterjazzlick
08-12-2017, 12:51 PM
... 2. after foobar is installed and it works, exit the foobar program and install the following components in the foobar component folder (get components from:
http://www.foobar2000.org/components

Facets 1.0
File Integrity Verifier 1.1.2

when you download these components, you'll end up unzipping I recall and the main thing is that the two component files above (after unzipping) end up in this folder:
C:\Program Files (x86)\foobar2000\components

Hi Gary, I was about to make a start here, but was really not sure about the procedure, please. Do I just click 'INSTALL' (as per screenshot 1), and then just 'YES' (as per screenshot 2)? Thanks.

Jailhouse
08-12-2017, 03:15 PM
JH, For me, I can view the PNGs as soon as they have been upoladed. But maybe that is because I am the OP/uploader? Paul

That's possible. Or it might be that the files download from your browser's temp files.

Jailhouse
08-12-2017, 03:21 PM
Hi Gary, I was about to make a start here, but was really not sure about the procedure, please. Do I just click 'INSTALL' (as per screenshot 1), and then just 'YES' (as per screenshot 2)? Thanks.

Yes. This page (http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Foobar2000:How_to_install_a_compon ent) is from a link provided on the foobar2000 components page.

garym
08-12-2017, 03:34 PM

Yes. Install then yes.

monsterjazzlick
08-12-2017, 04:04 PM
Yes. Install then yes.

Gary, Thanks. I have just done the first one (I think it did it correctly?); it closed down foobar and then restarted it:

garym
08-12-2017, 04:05 PM
Can't see pic. But just follow the rest of my instructions. Nothing complicated.

monsterjazzlick
08-12-2017, 04:07 PM
Hi, Not sure how to approach this one, please?

This is the one you said needs to be placed into the same folder as 'foobar' (x86). Cheers.

garym
08-12-2017, 04:10 PM
Hi, Not sure how to approach this one, please?

This is the one you said needs to be placed into the same folder as 'foobar' (x86). Cheers.

Youve already done that step (although you did it an alternative way) when you installed the facets component. Look in the directory location I gave you and make sure you see facets.dll file in the components folder. If you do, it's correct.

edit. I'm just guessing which step you are on. Can't see pic yet. But you can't break anything so no worries. Just keep following steps.

monsterjazzlick
08-12-2017, 04:29 PM
Youve already done that step (although you did it an alternative way) when you installed the facets component. Look in the directory location I gave you and make sure you see facets.dll file in the components folder. If you do, it's correct.

edit. I'm just guessing which step you are on. Can't see pic yet. But you can't break anything so no worries. Just keep following steps.

Gary, Cheers. I have extracted and placed the 'facets' dll. in the foobar 'components' folder:

Maybe I did it the long way, but I think it's OK. Thanks.

garym
08-12-2017, 04:34 PM
Gary, Cheers. I have extracted and placed the 'facets' dll. in the foobar 'components' folder:

Maybe I did it the long way, but I think it's OK. Thanks.

if the file is there it's ok!

monsterjazzlick
08-12-2017, 04:42 PM
if the file is there it's ok!

Awesome. Cheers Gary.

Can I delete these 3 files from my very messy desktop now?! Thanks.

garym
08-12-2017, 04:50 PM
Awesome. Cheers Gary.

Can I delete these 3 files from my very messy desktop now?! Thanks.

Yes. All the downloaded files can be deleted. I assume you've done the import theme foobargarym step. Afterwards you can delete that downloaded file.

monsterjazzlick
08-12-2017, 04:54 PM
Yes. All the downloaded files can be deleted. I assume you've done the import theme foobargarym step. Afterwards you can delete that downloaded file.

Gary, No, I have not tried anything out yet as such. Only done the d/l and installing. Thanks.

garym
08-12-2017, 05:00 PM
Gary, No, I have not tried anything out yet as such. Only done the d/l and installing. Thanks.

Then don't delete the foobargarym file until after you import the theme. Then you can delete it. Keep in mind I can't see the pics you are posting (yet).

monsterjazzlick
08-12-2017, 05:09 PM
Then don't delete the foobargarym file until after you import the theme. Then you can delete it. Keep in mind I can't see the pics you are posting (yet).

Thanks for stayin' with me, Gary. I followed the 'IMPORT THEME' steps now. The foobar GUI has changed somewhat (I take it that's correct):

I am not going to 'IMPORT MUSIC LIBRARY' as yet because - well - I don't have any music! And I am not importing 'WMA' from my old external-HD. I can't wait till the day I wipe all them dodgy compressed mp3s off!

btw - I received a PM from Mr. Spoon (not sure what time it was sent) saying that a max. of 20 x PNGs can be uploaded before the moderating actions come into play. After which, you can upload another 20 x images, I guess. Probably all outlined in the forum 'guidelines' which I should read sometime!

garym
08-12-2017, 05:14 PM
Yes. GUI should change a lot.
ps you do probably post too many pics. You don't need a pic of *everything*. Just the more complex things that are hard to describe. I've probably posted only 20 pics in total over 3,000+ posts. :)

garym
08-12-2017, 05:17 PM
Also, go ahead and import the few things you've ripped. You can see how it looks. You only configure the foobar library once. Afterwards any new music that is ripped to that parent directory will automatically show up. And if you ever change the file locations, just go into the foobar menu and point it at the new parent directory. Simple!

monsterjazzlick
08-12-2017, 05:31 PM
deleted/moved to https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?39942-RE-Ripping-Level-Question-(help-)/page21

garym
08-12-2017, 05:33 PM
Hi again, If I check the 'Length' box in the 'Tag ID Options' window (ie. so as to permit this particular tag to show on compatible devices):

... and then I call up the 'Create New Tag' on the bottom of the page (as per screenshot):

... there is no choice (in the pop-up scroll) for 'Length'!? I would have thought that all of the possible tags offered in the 'Tag ID Options' (first screenshot) would appear in the lower pop-up of 'Create New Tag'. Or do you just have to type in the ones which are missing, please? Thanks

no clue. And wrong thread. But if you tick length, the cd ripper will automatically fill in length tag when you rip.

monsterjazzlick
08-12-2017, 05:55 PM
no clue. And wrong thread. But if you tick length, the cd ripper will automatically fill in length tag when you rip.

Have relocated to: https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?39942-RE-Ripping-Level-Question-(help-)&p=176114&posted=1*post176114

I had two tabs open and inadvertently posted it incorrectly.

monsterjazzlick
08-12-2017, 05:58 PM
Yes. GUI should change a lot.
ps you do probably post too many pics. You don't need a pic of *everything*. Just the more complex things that are hard to describe. I've probably posted only 20 pics in total over 3,000+ posts. :)

Gary, OK, cheers. The GUI does look different but I would not say radically.

OK, no worries, I'll cut back on the uploads. Thanks.

monsterjazzlick
08-12-2017, 06:01 PM
Also, go ahead and import the few things you've ripped. You can see how it looks. You only configure the foobar library once. Afterwards any new music that is ripped to that parent directory will automatically show up. And if you ever change the file locations, just go into the foobar menu and point it at the new parent directory. Simple!

Thanks, I think I will now be able to make a rip 100% perfectly! I must have made over 30 x hash-ups so far! But at least I have learnt. Once I have a few rips on my external-HD I will IMPORT them to get the ball finally rolling. Paul

Oggy
08-13-2017, 05:19 AM
Thanks, I think I will now be able to make a rip 100% perfectly! I must have made over 30 x hash-ups so far! But at least I have learnt. Once I have a few rips on my external-HD I will IMPORT them to get the ball finally rolling. Paul

Hey Paul,

I'm sure that once you got the basic Artist / Album / Track, sorted all of your rips were 100% perfect, and playable on players. But, yes, perfecting album art, which you did very early, and working out the tags that are important to you, takes longer. You can correct these later, but if you, know what you want to achieve, get a good routine going, don't make any mistakes (!), and do this, repeatedly (without mistakes), you can "get it right", first time. Knowing what you want to achieve, and what is achievable, is probably the hard part.

Considering the power and flexibility, of the dBpoweramp software suite, the help available, is very good. I like how your thread progressed, because it shows there is no, one, "right way", as individuals have different preferences, and your screenshots, show input / output, so hopefully, all can understand your choices, and come to their own, easier.

Once you've got a good naming scheme, and I do think more people, could get going quicker, with more choices in default naming strings, seeing how the files display on your player, or Foobar2000, is essential.

We tend to focus far too much, on how folders look, in a Windows environment, rather than how, Foobar, or your player, handles the files. The fact you have a thread on different players, again with screenshots, continues your journey, and shows how the earlier decisions, affect how we locate, display, and play the music we want.

All the best, in filling your hard drive with music files, and, enjoying the results!

Oggy

garym
08-13-2017, 08:16 AM
Thanks for stayin' with me, Gary. I followed the 'IMPORT THEME' steps now. The foobar GUI has changed somewhat (I take it that's correct):

I am not going to 'IMPORT MUSIC LIBRARY' as yet because - well - I don't have any music! And I am not importing 'WMA' from my old external-HD. I can't wait till the day I wipe all them dodgy compressed mp3s off!

btw - I received a PM from Mr. Spoon (not sure what time it was sent) saying that a max. of 20 x PNGs can be uploaded before the moderating actions come into play. After which, you can upload another 20 x images, I guess. Probably all outlined in the forum 'guidelines' which I should read sometime!

I can see the pics now. And yes, the theme import worked just fine and looks correct. Once you configure a library location, the top section will populate with artists, albums, etc. and allow you to sort on anything you want in those boxes (by genre, by artist, by date modified, etc.). This sorting is the value of the FACETS component. You click on the title heading of each of those columns (ALBUM or ALBUM ARTIST or GENRE etc. and the column will automatically sort from A...Z, click again and it will sort from Z...A.)

Try this too (this will show you how you can add specific playlists and save them). I know you like jazz, so this is an internet radio jazz radio list. Save the file from here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27403489/JazzRadio.fpl

Then in foobar, click on the playlist tab in upper left (yours shows only default now). Then in menu, click FILE, then LOAD PLAYLIST. Then select the above file you just downloaded. Then "OPEN". Now you should see "JazzRadio" as a playlist. Click on this and you'll see 4 radio stations on the right. Click on any of these and then click play to start (over simply double click any of these station names and it will start playing automatically).

monsterjazzlick
08-13-2017, 08:48 AM
... 7. in foobar2000 menu, click on LIBRARY, then CONFIGURE. Under "music folders" click "add", then browse to the top level directory (folder) of the directory on your computer holding all your music files (e.g., C:\music). Then click "Apply" then OK. It may take a while to read all your music files into the library. (well, it does for my ~100,000 tracks anyhow.)

Thanks Gary. I followed your kind directions. I just ripped and imported 3 x CDs; just to get the ball rolling. Only took seconds to scan as there are only 3 x CDs on my external-HD at present. It all looks OK to me?:

monsterjazzlick
08-13-2017, 08:52 AM
Try this too (this will show you how you can add specific playlists and save them). I know you like jazz, so this is an internet radio jazz radio list. Save the file from here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27403489/JazzRadio.fpl

Hi Gary, Great, cheers! I will take a look at those other kind pointers in due course. I have just d/l the DropBox file for laters. Paul

garym
08-13-2017, 08:59 AM
Thanks Gary. I followed your kind directions. I just ripped and imported 3 x CDs; just to get the ball rolling. Only took seconds to scan as there are only 3 x CDs on my external-HD at present. It all looks OK to me?:

usually takes a day before your pics become viewable. Under playlists on upper left, you should see an item "library selection". If you click this, on the right you should see everything populate in the columns (album, genre, codec, etc.)

monsterjazzlick
08-13-2017, 09:03 AM
... and here is foobar finally in action! It's a far cry from lousy 'WMP'!:

monsterjazzlick
08-13-2017, 09:07 AM
usually takes a day before your pics become viewable. Under playlists on upper left, you should see an item "library selection". If you click this, on the right you should see everything populate in the columns (album, genre, codec, etc.)

Cheers Gary. It's actually in the top-right. There are two options/settings:

garym
08-13-2017, 09:16 AM
Cheers Gary. It's actually in the top-right. There are two options/settings:

Yes, top right it shows too, but also at upper LEFT there is a box with tabs. One is Playlist, one is Audio Information, one is ALBUM list, etc. On that box, click the playlist tab and you should see "Library Selection" show up underneath (as well as default, and you'll see jazzradio when you add that playlist).

monsterjazzlick
08-13-2017, 10:42 AM
Yes, top right it shows too, but also at upper LEFT there is a box with tabs. One is Playlist, one is Audio Information, one is ALBUM list, etc. On that box, click the playlist tab and you should see "Library Selection" show up underneath (as well as default, and you'll see jazzradio when you add that playlist).

Got it now thanks. Yes, they all play fine! Cheers.

monsterjazzlick
08-13-2017, 10:50 AM
Once you've got a good naming scheme, and I do think more people, could get going quicker, with more choices in default naming strings, seeing how the files display on your player, or Foobar2000, is essential.

We tend to focus far too much, on how folders look, in a Windows environment, rather than how, Foobar, or your player, handles the files. The fact you have a thread on different players, again with screenshots, continues your journey, and shows how the earlier decisions, affect how we locate, display, and play the music we want.

Hi Oggy, Thanks very much. Well I do hope that this thread and screengrabs might be of use to any newbies tryin' to learn from scratch. I was thinking that this thread has actually kinda' jumped around a bit and incorporated many aspects of 'dBpa'. In hindsight, perhaps I should have split this into 3 or 4 threads. But at the time I had no idea how long I would be spending on here and also the amazing amount of helpful replies! Foobar seems very good so far. I do need to look into the button-sizes more and also maybe choose a new 'skin'; but that's for later down the road. Paul

garym
08-14-2017, 03:42 PM
Now that I can see your pictures, just confirming that all looks exactly as it should.

monsterjazzlick
08-14-2017, 04:22 PM
Now that I can see your pictures, just confirming that all looks exactly as it should.

Gary, great stuff. Thanks for confirming.

monsterjazzlick
08-21-2017, 06:21 PM
Hi Gary,

I may want to install foobar on a second PC. Do you still have the dropbox file you shared with me earlier this month, please?

Thanks,

Paul

garym
08-21-2017, 06:42 PM
Hi Gary,

I may want to install foobar on a second PC. Do you still have the dropbox file you shared with me earlier this month, please?

Thanks,

Paul

Follow the same steps up to "import theme" on your current install. Then instead choose "export theme" and you'll have the file to import on another install. Otherwise remind me after Thursday when I'm back home.

monsterjazzlick
08-21-2017, 06:47 PM
Follow the same steps up to "import theme" on your current install. Then instead choose "export theme" and you'll have the file to import on another install. Otherwise remind me after Thursday when I'm back home.

OK, cheers Gary. No push; it can wait til the weekend. Paul

monsterjazzlick
08-22-2017, 06:08 PM

Gary, I installed Foobar on a second PC but have not as yet personalized it in any way. Thanks, Paul

monsterjazzlick
08-23-2017, 04:58 PM

Hi Gary, If you get a change please to uplaod your foobar file again that would be great; as I have some free time from tomorrow onwards. I would like to set up my home PC in the same way as my work one. Cheers, Paul

garym
08-23-2017, 05:09 PM
Hi Gary, If you get a change please to uplaod your foobar file again that would be great; as I have some free time from tomorrow onwards. I would like to set up my home PC in the same way as my work one. Cheers, Paul

here it is. You should save a copy somewhere on your PC. And as mentioned, you can create this yourself from your other PC by just "exporting theme" (same place in instructions where you "import" this theme.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dd1itn09mtbb3w2/foobartheme_garym.fth?dl=0

monsterjazzlick
08-23-2017, 05:40 PM
here it is. You should save a copy somewhere on your PC. And as mentioned, you can create this yourself from your other PC by just "exporting theme" (same place in instructions where you "import" this

Great, thanks Gary. I will grab it in the morning. Cheers.

monsterjazzlick
08-24-2017, 01:01 PM
here it is. You should save a copy somewhere on your PC. And as mentioned, you can create this yourself from your other PC by just "exporting theme" (same place in instructions where you "import" this theme.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dd1itn09mtbb3w2/foobartheme_garym.fth?dl=0

Gary, Have d/l now thanks. Also, saved to my DropBox. Paul

monsterjazzlick
08-24-2017, 01:52 PM
Hi, Having connected the Dell external-HD to my home PC and installed foobar and Gary's theme, the following error appears when ADDING MEDIA LIBRARY. Thanks, Paul

Jailhouse
08-24-2017, 10:21 PM
Having connected the Dell external-HD to my home PC and installed foobar and Gary's theme, the following error appears when ADDING MEDIA LIBRARY.

Can you see the Dell drive in File Explorer? If so, what is its drive letter? I'm guessing it's not F:.

monsterjazzlick
08-25-2017, 03:32 PM
Can you see the Dell drive in File Explorer? If so, what is its drive letter? I'm guessing it's not F:.

Hi JH, after a couple of re-boots the Music Folder seems to have picked up the F-Drive (Dell / FLACs):

Maybe a few restarts was just all it needed? Thanks, Paul

monsterjazzlick
08-25-2017, 04:28 PM

Gary, Once again it has taken a day and a half for all of the artwork to successfully appear in foobar (on my home PC). I think a few restarts helped along the way. Also, instead of ERROR it says MONITORING with regards to foobar reading the external-HD.

However, I still have a slight feeling that something is not 100% correct somewhere either in foobar or dBpa. I will have to compare the settings with those on my functioning work PC. Paul

garym
08-25-2017, 04:38 PM
Gary, Once again it has taken a day and a half for all of the artwork to successfully appear in foobar (on my home PC). I think a few restarts helped along the way. Also, instead of ERROR it says MONITORING with regards to foobar reading the external-HD.

However, I still have a slight feeling that something is not 100% correct somewhere either in foobar or dBpa. I will have to compare the settings with those on my functioning work PC. Paul

monitoring is correct. Shouldn't take a day and a half, unless you have about 500,000 tracks. Maybe you have a really old PC with USB 1.0 or something. That could take a day or so to load up all your files and art in foobar (vs 20 minutes at most for my 100,000 tracks in a laptop connecting to a USB 3.0 drive). This is not a dbpa problem. The files are there, have tags, and have art. You can easily see that on your PC outside of foobar. I don't think this is a foobar problem either. I think you have a bad USB drive, a bad USB cable, or a bad USB jack. Or you have a really old PC with old USB technology.

monsterjazzlick
08-25-2017, 04:56 PM
monitoring is correct. Shouldn't take a day and a half, unless you have about 500,000 tracks. Maybe you have a really old PC with USB 1.0 or something. That could take a day or so to load up all your files and art in foobar (vs 20 minutes at most for my 100,000 tracks in a laptop connecting to a USB 3.0 drive). This is not a dbpa problem. The files are there, have tags, and have art. You can easily see that on your PC outside of foobar. I don't think this is a foobar problem either. I think you have a bad USB drive, a bad USB cable, or a bad USB jack. Or you have a really old PC with old USB technology.

Hi Gary, I didn't mean I left the PC turned on for over one day, and let foobar search. But rather I performed a few restarts of my PC and foobar every so often. Then suddenly, all of my FLACs appeared in the foobar playlist. So I don't think it was a question of them taking time to load, but that they just were not being picked up. Also, I suspect there may have been (and may still be) couple of setting which are not configured exactly as they should be in either/or foobar/dBpa. Cheers, Paul

garym
08-25-2017, 05:07 PM
Hi Gary, I didn't mean I left the PC turned on for over one day, and let foobar search. But rather I performed a few restarts of my PC and foobar every so often. Then suddenly, all of my FLACs appeared in the foobar playlist. So I don't think it was a question of them taking time to load, but that they just were not being picked up. Also, I suspect there may have been (and may still be) couple of setting which are not configured exactly as they should be in either/or foobar/dBpa. Cheers, Paul

the problem you're describing is not a dbpa problem and very, very unlikely to be a foobar problem. It is an issue with your PC recognizing the external USB drive.

monsterjazzlick
08-25-2017, 05:17 PM
the problem you're describing is not a dbpa problem and very, very unlikely to be a foobar problem. It is an issue with your PC recognizing the external USB drive.

Yes, that was is what happened, I think. It kept saying ERROR for the F:Drive (FLACs). But it picked it up an hour ago and I think its OK now. Paul

Jailhouse
08-25-2017, 05:36 PM
It kept saying ERROR for the F:Drive (FLACs). But it picked it up an hour ago and I think its OK now.

You've only proven that the PC can connect to the Dell drive; you don't know yet if it can connect reliably.

monsterjazzlick
08-25-2017, 06:05 PM
You've only proven that the PC can connect to the Dell drive; you don't know yet if it can connect reliably.

Hi JH, Well something is adrift because when I rip a CD (using my home PC connected to the Dell-HD) a new JAZZ (genre) folder is created outside of the FLAC folder (in which everything should be going into). In other words, a genre (Jazz) folder is created and the current CD being ripped is placed in there! This is happening each time I perform a rip.

I set the PATH to 'DriveF:\FLAC'; which worked fine on my work PC? Thanks.

Jailhouse
08-25-2017, 06:14 PM
Well something is adrift because when I rip a CD (using my home PC connected to the Dell-HD) a new JAZZ (genre) folder is created outside of the FLAC folder (in which everything should be going into). In other words, a genre (Jazz) folder is created and the current CD being ripped is placed in there! This is happening each time I perform a rip.

I set the PATH to 'DriveF:\FLAC'; which worked fine on my work PC? Thanks.

I won't be able to see the image for a while. I think, though, your path needs to be F:\FLAC\ (note the ending backslash).

monsterjazzlick
08-25-2017, 07:00 PM
I won't be able to see the image for a while. I think, though, your path needs to be F:\FLAC\ (note the ending backslash).

OK,cheers JH. I will try in the morning with the backslash you kindly mention. I spent over an hour on this earlier and also another hour on the artwork issue. Bit of a soul destroying evening but there you go! Cheers, Paul.

garym
08-26-2017, 08:37 AM

One doesn't type in the music file location in Foobar library. Instead, once you click ADD, it takes you to a popup window that allows you to browse to the correct parent folder and select it. So it's impossible to enter it wrong.

monsterjazzlick
08-26-2017, 11:40 AM

Nice one JH, I added the backward-slash to the PATH and I think it's SAVING correctly now.

It created a dedicated folder for the artist 'Weather Report', and placed the ripped CD inside. I will test it with another album by 'Weather Report' next. And it did not create an unwanted GENRE folder either. Hopefully it won't keep creating extraneous folders like yesterday! Cheers, Paul.

monsterjazzlick
08-26-2017, 11:45 AM
One doesn't type in the music file location in Foobar library. Instead, once you click ADD, it takes you to a popup window that allows you to browse to the correct parent folder and select it. So it's impossible to enter it wrong.

Hi Gary, foobar is now successfully picking-up (monitoring) the FLAC folder updates as I add more rips to the Dell external-HD folder. Thanks, Paul

monsterjazzlick
08-26-2017, 12:58 PM
Hi, I do have a couple of questions about searching in foobar, but I will leave them until I have gotten dBpa totally sorted out. Cheers, Paul

monsterjazzlick
08-26-2017, 01:01 PM

Hi Gary, It is set now to how you recommended, thanks. Paul

garym
08-26-2017, 01:08 PM
Hi, I do have a couple of questions about searching in foobar, but I will leave them until I have gotten dBpa totally sorted out. Cheers, Paul
In the search bar, you can type anything you want and hit ENTER. Then in your album list, artist list, etc. you'll see all the results. For example, in the pic attached, I typed "Miles Davis" in the search bar and it pulled up 30 albums that had some sort of Miles Davis connection.

monsterjazzlick
08-26-2017, 01:28 PM
In the search bar, you can type anything you want and hit ENTER. Then in your album list, artist list, etc. you'll see all the results. For example, in the pic attached, I typed "Miles Davis" in the search bar and it pulled up 30 albums that had some sort of Miles Davis connection.

Cheers Gary. The attachment says: 'Invalid link', though? Paul

garym
08-26-2017, 01:33 PM
Cheers Gary. The attachment says: 'Invalid link', though? Paul
hmmm, I see it when I click. In any case, it's easy to see where. In your foobar, when you have highlighted "Library Selection" under playlists (far upper left), then you should see the search bar above the "genre" column. Just enter anything in there and hit ENTER key.

monsterjazzlick
08-26-2017, 01:36 PM

JH, It is now placing double-CDs correctly in respective folders for each disc. So I think all is well here. I will now test with a CD by a completely different artist. Cheers, Paul

monsterjazzlick
08-26-2017, 01:55 PM
Hi, it's creating a NEW folder correctly for a NEW artist also!

Going to take a look at removing the 'embedded' arts from my earlier rips now ...

Jailhouse
08-26-2017, 04:53 PM

I set up foobar in late 2014 and haven't had to deal with configuring the library location since then. I'm hard-pressed to remember procedures I don't often use. Thanks for the clarification.

garym
08-26-2017, 05:11 PM
I set up foobar in late 2014 and haven't had to deal with configuring the library location since then. I'm hard-pressed to remember procedures I don't often use. Thanks for the clarification.

Yeah, I have some things configured so long ago I have no memory of what I did. :)

monsterjazzlick
08-26-2017, 05:25 PM
hmmm, I see it when I click. In any case, it's easy to see where. In your foobar, when you have highlighted "Library Selection" under playlists (far upper left), then you should see the search bar above the "genre" column. Just enter anything in there and hit ENTER key.

Cheers Gary, So I think you mean here:

monsterjazzlick
08-27-2017, 11:52 AM
Hi Gary, One of the questions I was going to ask about foobar was that in the top left, my list of ARTISTS appears 'Z-A'. Is there way to switch it to 'A-Z', please?

monsterjazzlick
08-27-2017, 12:01 PM
Hi, I have set my FLAC music files to open with foobar. All of the icons changed to a foobar symbol. Before, these were black&white; but now they have changes to red&black:

Does this look correct though, please? Thanks.

garym
08-27-2017, 02:10 PM
Hi, I have set my FLAC music files to open with foobar. All of the icons changed to a foobar symbol. Before, these were black&white; but now they have changes to red&black:

Does this look correct though, please? Thanks.

red (orangeish) and black are correct for FLAC files.

garym
08-27-2017, 02:12 PM
Hi Gary, One of the questions I was going to ask about foobar was that in the top left, my list of ARTISTS appears 'Z-A'. Is there way to switch it to 'A-Z', please?

Just click once on the heading title (where it says Artist) and it will change sort order. This works for all the title headings (genre, album, etc.) as far as I know.

monsterjazzlick
08-27-2017, 02:29 PM
red (orangeish) and black are correct for FLAC files.

Cheers Gary. I am sure it was black&white on my work PC though?! Paul

monsterjazzlick
08-27-2017, 02:31 PM
Just click once on the heading title (where it says Artist) and it will change sort order. This works for all the title headings (genre, album, etc.) as far as I know.

That's great. Sorted now.

garym
08-27-2017, 02:35 PM
Cheers Gary. I am sure it was black&white on my work PC though?! Paul

won't hurt anything. But you're probably confusing the program icon (black and white) with the file icons.

garym
08-27-2017, 02:43 PM
That's great. Sorted now.
It is interesting to me that you even use that ARTIST list to do anything. For me, once I set up the facets that have codec, genre, album artist, title, etc. in the upper boxes (toward the right), I only use that to navigate, search etc. I never use the ARTIST or ALBUM view on that upper left box (I only ever use the playlist view there). But there are many ways to use foobar.

monsterjazzlick
08-27-2017, 02:58 PM
It is interesting to me that you even use that ARTIST list to do anything. For me, once I set up the facets that have codec, genre, album artist, title, etc. in the upper boxes (toward the right), I only use that to navigate, search etc. I never use the ARTIST or ALBUM view on that upper left box (I only ever use the playlist view there). But there are many ways to use foobar.

Hi Gary, Well I have not experimented with foobar as much as dBpa. I will, eventually, have to configure the former specifically to suit my needs as more and more rips are performed. At the moment, I am on dealing with 3/4 Artists. Paul