PDA

View Full Version : Question about Lossless Encoding

MMBL622
06-12-2017, 09:08 AM
If I rip my CD to FLAC music file, in dBpoweramp's lossless encoding, which one in below I should choose in order to get th best sound quality?

Level 5 (it mentioned "Recommended")
Highest
Uncompressed

I tried to rip same CD by using all the above 3 different encoding, it seem like "Uncompressed" produce best sound quality, more bass, more solid and tightly bass, better resolution, better density. Do you agree? The only bad thing is file size is much bigger than other 2 encoding.

Jailhouse
06-12-2017, 10:26 AM
The level of compression affects only the size of the encoded file. Any error-free FLAC encoding will produce the same result upon decoding.

garym
06-12-2017, 05:58 PM
I tried to rip same CD by using all the above 3 different encoding, it seem like "Uncompressed" produce best sound quality, more bass, more solid and tightly bass, better resolution, better density. Do you agree? The only bad thing is file size is much bigger than other 2 encoding.

Very very strange, as the actual file that is played by your player is the *decoded* file, which is the same no matter which option you used to encode the file. You might try to do an ABX comparison of the 3 files you created using something like foobar2000 and the ABX component. This will remove any "expectation bias" from your comparisons.