PDA

View Full Version : CD player starts stuttering after ripping more than two or three CDs in a row

Paolo
02-17-2017, 07:11 PM
When I first begin ripping CD's from an external CD player to a MacMini server everything runs smoothly. However, the more CD's I rip in a row the more the player starts stuttering and the rip gets extremely slow. Then, after a couple of minutes the player smooths out and starts ripping at the right speed. I've tried a couple of different CD players and they all seem to have the same issue. Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone know why this could be happening or found a solution? Thanks

jultsu
02-18-2017, 04:24 AM
You are using an external USB-IDE or USB-SATA case with 5.25" drives in it? Or those mini-laptop-type-slim-standalone kind of external drives?

Spoon
02-18-2017, 04:25 AM
Describe the stuttering more please, the cd drives sounds like it is moving the reading head? or ripping is starting and stopping?

Paolo
02-18-2017, 01:02 PM
You are using an external USB-IDE or USB-SATA case with 5.25" drives in it? Or those mini-laptop-type-slim-standalone kind of external drives?

It's a slim stand alone USB 3 external drive.

Paolo
02-18-2017, 01:06 PM
I'm not sure exactly what's happening within the drive, but it sounds like the disc is starting and stopping very rapidly. While in this mode it rips very slowly. This usually lasts for a minute or two and then smooths out and rips normally.

jultsu
02-18-2017, 04:01 PM
Disc is not copy protected and not scratched? Did you try removing C2 pointers from settings?

Spoon
02-19-2017, 04:09 AM
Perhaps you have something else running on the system which is taking up 100% of the cpus

Paolo
02-19-2017, 01:42 PM
Disc is not copy protected and not scratched? Did you try removing C2 pointers from settings?

It happens on every disc, including new ones. How do I remove C2 pointers?

Paolo
02-19-2017, 01:50 PM
Perhaps you have something else running on the system which is taking up 100% of the cpus

No, this is a dedicated MacMini i7 core which I only use for music. The only other program running is Roon. And like i said it only happens for the first couple of minutes after starting a rip and then it starts running smoothly. And the rips come out fine, it's just strange that it struggles so much when starting.

jultsu
02-20-2017, 09:54 AM
And the files are stored locally on the same mini? Can you double-check with Activity Monitor that there is no funny business going on with the cpu/disk access times?

Paolo
02-20-2017, 02:18 PM
And the files are stored locally on the same mini? Can you double-check with Activity Monitor that there is no funny business going on with the cpu/disk access times?

Yes the files are stored on an internal 1TB hard drive and the system software runs on an internal 256GB SSD. The activity monitor seems normal.

Paolo
02-20-2017, 02:20 PM

It's runs on a 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3.