PDA

View Full Version : Unable to rip HDCD disks

PAN64
02-15-2017, 02:36 PM
Hi all,

Is there anything specific that I need to do when ripping HDCDs?
I've tried ripping a number of HDCD disk, Neil Young, The Flaming Lips + others, but its just not happening!

Any help would really be appreciated.

Cheers, Paul

mville
02-15-2017, 08:14 PM
Please can you explain what its just not happening means?

You might want to read this thread: Ripping HDCDs: Best practices? (https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?27540-Ripping-HDCDs-Best-practices)

garym
02-15-2017, 08:16 PM
What do you mean by "not happening". What errors are you getting?

I rip HDCD disks all the time to FLAC (all my Grateful Dead purchases are HDCD, for example). Nothing special needs to be done for a bit perfect rip. Some use the HDCD DSP, but that is just if you want to play back the HDCD in a non-HDCD capable player and get the "benefit" if HDCD (essentially the DSP converts the 20 bit files into a 24bit package). Frankly, I find no audible difference using the HDCD DSP *and* of course the resulting rip is no longer bit perfect back to orginal CD. So for me, I rip my HDCD CDs to FLAC just like any other CD.

EDIT: mville beat me to it. Great minds think alike!:cool:

PAN64
02-16-2017, 03:43 PM
Hi both and thanks for your reply.
My question was a big vague so i'll run through exactly what happens when i load a HDCD disk.
The disk contents and artwork are all displayed as normal but when i select Rip it runs through Pass 1, Pass 2, Ultra Secure 1, Ultra Secure 2 before freezing on Re-Rip [41978 frames]

This is the error message i get:

Information ripping to FLAC, 'Track 1' to 'Z:\Neil Young\Greatest Hits\01 Neil Young - Down by the River.flac'
Track 1: ERROR Ripping LBA 0 to 42000 (9:20) in 11:19. Filename: Z:\Neil Young\Greatest Hits\01 Neil Young - Down by the River._

garym
02-16-2017, 03:56 PM
Hi both and thanks for your reply.
My question was a big vague so i'll run through exactly what happens when i load a HDCD disk.
The disk contents and artwork are all displayed as normal but when i select Rip it runs through Pass 1, Pass 2, Ultra Secure 1, Ultra Secure 2 before freezing on Re-Rip [41978 frames]

This is the error message i get:

Information ripping to FLAC, 'Track 1' to 'Z:\Neil Young\Greatest Hits\01 Neil Young - Down by the River.flac'
Track 1: ERROR Ripping LBA 0 to 42000 (9:20) in 11:19. Filename: Z:\Neil Young\Greatest Hits\01 Neil Young - Down by the River._

Thats a normal problem ripping a cd. Unrelated to it being an HDCD disk. Try cleaning the cd. Also try in a different drive. I have some CDs that have similar errors that rip fine in a different drive.

PAN64
02-16-2017, 05:44 PM
Thanks, I'll try the different drive suggestion as it does the same on all HDCDs so not limited to just one. Cheers, Paul

PAN64
02-19-2017, 02:34 AM
Just a quick update - using a new drive has resolved the problem!
Many thanks for the suggestion guys.

garym
02-19-2017, 07:26 AM
Just a quick update - using a new drive has resolved the problem!
Many thanks for the suggestion guys.

Good to know.