PDA

View Full Version : How to adjust High Resolution Wav file to CD format with DSP options in correct way

hoeffel
01-17-2017, 11:35 AM
Hi There

I have the following 2 questions, maybe one exclude the other.

I want to resample some Flac files (f.i. 48 Khz/24 bit) to Wav CD format (44.1 Khz/16 bit). I see the options to set these values in top of the screen (bullet: Uncompressed). However, to do it correctly I have to Dither/Noise Shaping to convert correctly from 24 bit to 16 bit (DSP options).

My 2 questions are:

1. Do I have to set the DSP options (Bit Depth 16 bit and Resample 44.1Khz), without changing the settings under Uncompressed (so Bit Depth and Sample Rate both 'as source')

2. Or do I have to do both. However, this sound not logical for me. Because I set the bit depth to 16 bit again and I resample to 44.1 Khz again, although with Dither/Noise Shaping via the DSP options

Can somebody explain the right procedure for these CD sample rate/bit depth transfer. I can't find any infomation in the Help files or Forum for this issue.

Thanks in advance,

Harold Hoeffelman

mville
01-17-2017, 12:33 PM
Take a look at this (and related threads): Flac 24 bit to 16 bit (https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?37419-Flac-24-bit-to-16-bit)

hoeffel
01-17-2017, 02:16 PM
Thanks,

As I understand, I'm using only the DSP parameters and leave the adjustments on top off the screen as it is ('as source'). Is that correct? One of my questions.

Further I did BitDepth first and Resample second. Gives that serious different results. (I shall look at the Frequency Spectrum?).

Spoon
01-18-2017, 03:39 AM
That is correct. Use bitdepth first if increasing, or last if decreasing.

hoeffel
01-18-2017, 02:25 PM
Thanks Spoon,

It helps me. Last question. I did this CD conversion before with Audition 3.0. If I look to the frequency Diagram (in Audacity), I see between18Khz and let's say 20Khz a strange top apears. It looks a little bit isolated from the lower spectrum, which go downwards gradual till 18.000Hz (-90dB). So I thought do it with dBPoweramp in future. Sounds this logical?

Harold

Spoon
01-18-2017, 03:14 PM
The resampler in dBpoweramp is one of the better ones, see:

https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?36397-Resampler-in-dBpoweramp-is-a-high-quality-resampler-employed

hoeffel
01-20-2017, 01:58 PM
Hi Spoon,

You are right. Better than Adobe Audition 3.0 but SSRC / dBpoweramp is comparable with Adobe Auditon 5.0, CS6.0 for so far I see. Anyway, I certainly use dBPoweramp in future for resample and bit conversions, specially for high resolution audio files to CD conversions.

Thanks Harold