PDA

View Full Version : Stuttering sound in Asset

raaleada
10-04-2016, 12:27 PM
I am sorry to inform you that Asset is probably not working properly in decoding on the fly.

I want to be able to stream and play FLAC and APE files from my collection on my LG BR media centre. Both formats are not supported by LG. The same counts for VOB files for obvious reasons. In their SmartShare software every supported format plays flawlessly when streamed. Asset streams all LG supported formats also flawlessly. But when decoding and streaming FLAC and APE files as MP3 or WAV stuttering occurs. It looks like the problem is in the decoding. It creates a regular tick in the sound. Sound quality is OK.

I tested on 2 quad core machines and with OS XP, Win7 and Win8. The connection is by powerline adapters. The Win7 system is clean with only one other program installed. Tested with and without firewall/ virus scanner (Comodo Internet Security). The systems are virus free and extra tested as mentioned in the PS3 stuttering topic. There is no stuttering with normal streaming like MP3 320kb or divx. I will be testing with a direct cable connection later.

Any ideas?

Spoon
10-04-2016, 03:48 PM
Certain players they request the data in small blocks, and each block they close the stream, then request the next block as though the file is playing new, if you enable the debug log in asset it will show if this is happening.

raaleada
10-04-2016, 06:44 PM
Thanks for your quick comment, Spoon.
It looks like the decoder is opened and closed many times in a short time. If that is what you mean.
Is there something to be done about this? Such a pity if not.

I attached the debug file to this topic. The indexing and the numerous repetitions are taken out because of file size.

Spoon
10-05-2016, 03:11 AM
It is the player which is at fault, why it cannot keep the stream open and play in one go is beyond me.