PDA

View Full Version : Installed 16.1 -- unable to access discogs, gd3 or musicbrainz

margolbe
08-09-2016, 04:12 PM
I just installed 16.1 and I can't seem to access any of the metadata providers. When I looked at the options, they are all greyed out.

What can I do to access them?

Dat Ei
08-09-2016, 04:15 PM
Registered version? If yes, check your security software.

Dat Ei

Spoon
08-09-2016, 06:03 PM
Run dBpoweramp from icon on the desktop and it will show registration status.

christech81
10-23-2016, 05:05 AM
Hello all,

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I would like some advice.

Today I installed dBpoweramp 16.1 reference free for 21 days on Windows 10.

Unfortunately on some of my test CD's the metadata is not retrieved, the CD ripper settings for "Retrieve metadata from" are dBpoweramp cache and freedb, the options for Discogs, GD3 and MusicBrainz are greyed out.

Under active providers I have dBpoweramp and freedb, the options for PerfectMeta (Intelligent Lookup), Discogs, GD3 and MusicBrainz are present but greyed out.

My registration status is Unregistered Trial 21 days remain.

Please can you tell me how to enable the other providers and PerfectMeta.

Thank you in advance.

Oggy
10-23-2016, 05:34 AM
Hello all,

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I would like some advice.

Today I installed dBpoweramp 16.1 reference free for 21 days on Windows 10.

Unfortunately on some of my test CD's the metadata is not retrieved, the CD ripper settings for "Retrieve metadata from" are dBpoweramp cache and freedb, the options for Discogs, GD3 and MusicBrainz are greyed out.

Under active providers I have dBpoweramp and freedb, the options for PerfectMeta (Intelligent Lookup), Discogs, GD3 and MusicBrainz are present but greyed out.

My registration status is Unregistered Trial 21 days remain.

Please can you tell me how to enable the other providers and PerfectMeta.

Thank you in advance.

Try Run as Administrator. A colleague had this on a couple of PCs with the trial version, and this resolved the issue.

Oggy

christech81
10-23-2016, 05:50 AM
Thank you Oggy, I've tried running dBpoweramp as an administrator and unfortunately that did not work so I uninstalled and re-installed dBpoweramp running as administrator, that did not work either and I no longer have the option to try PerfectTunes!

Dat Ei
10-23-2016, 06:43 AM
Is the access of Discogs, GD3 and MusicBrainz with the free version possible at all?

Dat Ei

Spoon
10-23-2016, 07:12 AM
They are possible, however it sounds like the trial is not working in this instance.

christech81
10-23-2016, 07:14 AM
Thanks Dat Ei, I was under the impression that the 21 day trial of dBpoweramp had full functionality, my mistake, shame as I want to know how good the metadata matching is - I've already noticed inconsistencies with the dBpoweramp cache and freedb - such as multiple disc sets, calling the first disc CD1 then then second disk (Disc Two) etc. Nothing to do with dBpoweramp, just the variable quality of freedb.

christech81
10-23-2016, 07:15 AM
Thank you Spoon, is there anything I can try to get the providers working?

toots
10-27-2016, 01:20 PM
I also cannot access any databases since I went up to 16.1 (64 bit, Win 10). My Registration status is "Power Pack Registered". It all used to work and now it doesn't. Where is the page that used to allow you to re-enter your details which seemd to sort it out. I've tried running as Admin from the desktop and other suggestions but it's no use. Help, this used to be such a good program.

Spoon
10-27-2016, 02:39 PM
Which version were you using before the upgrade?

toots
10-28-2016, 07:48 AM
64 bit, Registered Reference Release 15.3 As it is working exactly as it should, I've gone back to it for now. If I ask for the available update, it offer 16.1 which then doesn't work correctly.

Spoon
10-28-2016, 09:32 AM
R15 Reference to R16 Reference is a paid upgrade, without it reference features are not enabled.

GaryG45
10-28-2016, 09:01 PM
I installed the trial version of R16.1 Reference today in order to see the metadata differences from R15. I'm registered for R15 Reference on a different PC. On the PC with the trial version of R16.1 I also cannot access discogs, gd3 or musicbrainz. Can these metadata sites only be accessed with a registered version of R16.1?

Spoon
10-29-2016, 02:26 AM
If you have previously used the trial, or had dBpoweramp installed previously then the trial would not activate.

GaryG45
10-29-2016, 09:00 AM
Thanks, I should have remembered that.

davmurimd
11-16-2016, 09:51 AM
I also have the issue that the metadata from the 4 providers is greyed out in the Review Pertectmeta Matches page in dBpoweramp16.1. I have the 'paid' version which I upgraded from the paid version of 15.3.

My workaround is to select each provider in turn from "Retrieve metadata from:", which shows the metadata on the main page and the go back to the best provider. The main problem with this is that I cannot take tags from different providers, which would minimize editing.

I have searched the forum for a solution, but although there are several reports of similar issues, none of the proposed solutions works for me.

Spoon
11-16-2016, 05:32 PM
The upgrade from R15 Reference to R16 reference would be a paid upgrade to maintain the reference features. The perfectmeta option needs Reference.

davmurimd
11-16-2016, 07:16 PM
I thought I had the Reference. I paid for R15 in March 2015 and my invoice for the upgrade to R16.1 is dated 22/10/2016.

Is there something I missed? I wonder if I should uninstall R16.1, download a new copy and reinstall?

Spoon
11-17-2016, 05:47 AM
Yes, download from here:

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/registration/

davmurimd
11-17-2016, 07:21 AM
The new download solved the problem

Thank you very much

Hashi
11-25-2016, 08:40 PM
I just installed Release 16.1 64 bit (fully registered, no restrictions) to window 10 PC, after use trial version for 21 days.
When Manual Meta Review is cliecked, no information is displayed for under Discogs, GD3, Music Branz, and freedb. I have confirmed these are turned on in "Active Providers". Please kindly advise how to access the data baase.

Spoon
11-26-2016, 04:08 AM
If you have previously used the trial, or had dBpoweramp installed previously then the trial would not activate.

farrview
12-16-2016, 04:48 PM
I'm confused. I am on a trial, first time trying but heard good things about accuracy and metadata. But I'm not getting much meta data pulled on CD I'm trying. Freedb is the only one it pulls, others are grayed out. So is there a way to try out the metadata lookups to decide about purchasing?

Spoon
12-17-2016, 05:09 AM
It sounds like the trial has not activated. If you create a new user account in windows and give it administrator access rights when creating, sign into this account and install dbpoweramp you should get the trial.

meiche
12-25-2016, 04:30 PM
It sounds like the trial has not activated. If you create a new user account in windows and give it administrator access rights when creating, sign into this account and install dbpoweramp you should get the trial.

I've just installed the 16.1 trial as well. The metadata providers GD3, discogs, and musicbrainz are greyed out. Only freedb is available. I would really like to get the full functionality of the metadata checking across the various providers. If this works as advertised I plan to purchase a copy. My trial says 21 days remaining so I assume it is activated. Help would be appreciated. I'm also trying the EZ CD audio converter - it doesn't have any issues accessing various databases. Thanks in advance. Merry Christmas!

Spoon
12-26-2016, 04:53 AM
Did you create a new user account with administrator access rights?

meiche
12-26-2016, 04:35 PM
My windows user account has administrator access. Why would I need to create a new account to run this trial?

Gail
12-28-2016, 01:36 AM
There definitely seems to be a problem with the 16.1 Trial. I'm having the same problem as several of the previous posters. I installed the 16.1 trial over the weekend. The metadata providers GD3, discogs, and musicbrainz are greyed out. Only freedb is available.

I've tried several suggestions I found in the forum to no avail. I then installed the PerfectTunes trial, hoping that would enable the providers, unfortunately, it didn't. I uninstalled both and reinstalled the dBpoweramp trial, but still can access the providers or the PerfectMeta functionality.

I would really like to be able to test the full functionality of the metadata checking across the various providers before making a purchasing decision. Since the trial is supposed to be fully functional, I would appreciate advice on how to correct the problem.

Thanks.

Spoon
12-28-2016, 03:10 AM
Which windows versions do you have?

Gail
12-28-2016, 03:18 AM

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium, 32 bit version.

Gail
12-29-2016, 06:35 AM
There definitely seems to be a problem with the 16.1 Trial. I'm having the same problem as several of the previous posters. I installed the 16.1 trial over the weekend. The metadata providers GD3, discogs, and musicbrainz are greyed out. Only freedb is available.

I've tried several suggestions I found in the forum to no avail. I then installed the PerfectTunes trial, hoping that would enable the providers, unfortunately, it didn't. I uninstalled both and reinstalled the dBpoweramp trial, but still can access the providers or the PerfectMeta functionality.

I would really like to be able to test the full functionality of the metadata checking across the various providers before making a purchasing decision. Since the trial is supposed to be fully functional, I would appreciate advice on how to correct the problem.

Thanks.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium, 32 bit version.

Hi Spoon,

Any progress on this?

Spoon
12-30-2016, 07:11 AM
Fixed:

https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?38725-dBpoweramp-R16-2-Beta-Windows&p=171196*post171196

Gail
12-31-2016, 05:30 AM
Fixed:

https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?38725-dBpoweramp-R16-2-Beta-Windows&p=171196*post171196

Thanks Spoon!

iantos
01-30-2017, 05:23 PM
I am a new trialist and had all the problems mentioned in this thread.
I did as you suggested and the problem with the metadata is solved.
I now have 20 days left of my trial but the beta option runs until June.
Do I register and purchase in 20 days or in June?

Spoon
01-30-2017, 06:31 PM
20 days.

fasterbyelan
01-13-2021, 02:32 PM
Sorry to raise this again but I'm having the same issue since I installed my registered copy of the program on a new computer recently (Version 16.6 on Windows 10 64 bit). I have installed the software as an Admin. It worked fine on my previous computers running Windows 10.

Would like to get this sorted asap as I don't have the time or inclination to manually type in the metadata.

Any thoughts anyone?

Regards,

Karl

Spoon
01-14-2021, 06:38 AM
See:

https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?45629-CD-Ripper-Metadata-Slow-(R16-R15-R14-etc)

fasterbyelan
01-14-2021, 07:22 AM
See:

https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?45629-CD-Ripper-Metadata-Slow-(R16-R15-R14-etc)

Thanks - I have upgraded.

Karl

MRoweVA
01-18-2021, 05:21 PM
Hello:

I'm an old (ver 16.1 ,about Jan. 2016), lapsed (work, real life) and new (yesterday, stuck indoors with COVID, purchased 17.2) user. And this seemingly recurring problem is well, recurring.

The software says it it fully licensed with no restrictions. The symptom is that metadata is extraordinarily slow to load, and the CD ripper freezes while you wait. I thought it was just broken, but left it waiting for metadata once, and eventually, the program found the metadata and returned to the ripping screen. But I was looking at this, for a tad over three minutes:

That plainly won't work during a serious work session.

I've gotten this far logged in as Admin, but I suspect this will also work the same way in a standard user account. Just a crazy delay. But it looks fixable based on past experience.

Feel free to get in touch if there's anything I should configure/try/report.

And congrats on a nice program -- liked it before, and still like it. Simple and effective. Just a tad crippled at present.

Thanks
Mike

P.S.: Confirmed. Same behavior in a standard user account, and the interval is just about at three minutes.

Spoon
01-19-2021, 11:17 AM
If using R17.2, restart Windows in 'Safe Mode with Networking' and see how quick metadata retrieval is.

Just tested all providers and it took 9 seconds to read from all 4.

MRoweVA
01-19-2021, 06:05 PM
OK. Will do that later this evening and report back. So we're expecting a conflict?

Just fyi, I did try turning off all of the AV stuff -- but that was from their respective in-GUI interfaces, which, as we know, isn't always "off."

But, sounds like a good experiment -- should have something in a couple of hours.

Appreciate the help.

Mike

MRoweVA
01-19-2021, 09:04 PM
@ Spoon:

Confirmed. Booting Safe Mode with Networking results in a nearly instantaneous read and return to the ripping screen. So if that's diagnostically useful, send me my next chore and I'll get right on it.

There is one odd thing though. Did we lose a lot of database support somewhere while I was out? I tested with AC/DC's "Black Ice," and it was back in a flash, ready to rip and compare with accurate-rip. No surprise there.

But the databases couldn't ID Tracy Chapman's "Crossroads" or Sara Bareilles' "Little Voice?" Ian Ethan Case I can understand -- he's quite talented, but not that famous . . . yet. Check him out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TlsJCqf5NM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLLSdo9f3O4

But my point here is that Jackson Browne's "Solo Acoustic Vol.1" isn't exactly obscure. Yet for all three of these, the system needed help (name, artist) and on at least a couple there was no accurate-rip info. Don't recall that being the case before. I mention it on the theory that this too could be diagnostically useful - in Safe Mode the response is so fast that I can't see what the system is reading and what it might not be. Maybe we're not able to check all sources?

Or this might be and unrelated problem. Haven't used the software in sometime, so I'm trying to relearn. I also seem to recall multi-threaded CPUs being able to rip multiple tracks at once -- but that might be an earlier program I used, or the somewhat more powerful PC and Drive I was using -- this is the basement machine.

I'll be fine I think once I get this glitch sorted.

OK, more than enough here -- appreciate the help very much and happy to keep testing with some instruction. And still like the software -- it was, for example, MUCH easier on the disc drive than what I had been using last time I was working on the music library.

Best,
Mike

MRoweVA
01-19-2021, 09:16 PM
Hmmm . . .my attempt to report vanished when I said "post it." I hope I'm not double posting. I seem to be having a "snake bit" day when it comes to tech. Now let's see, as I was saying . . .

Theory confirmed: Safe mode + networking results in an nearly instant return to the main screen, ready to rip with accurate-rip on line.

But the database has never heard of Jackson Browne's "Solo Acoustic Vol 1," Sarah Bareilles' "Little Voice," or Tracy Chapman's "Crossroads?" Are we sure the software is actually checking? These three were all found when I supplied Artist and Album name -- but no accurate-rip, it appeared. AC/DC's Black Ice, my initial test, was a winner though.

Understand that less well known music like Ian Ethan Case might not be there -- though it often was -- and he's worth a listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TlsJCqf5NM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLLSdo9f3O4

So that got me wondering.

Thanks, and let me know what to try next . . .

Mike

Spoon
01-20-2021, 07:24 AM
The safemode would not load any security software, so that is likely blocking access to the internet.

Keep trying different discs, popular discs should have no issues getting metadata. Also check the date and time on the computer, https is used and that needs the correct date and time.

MRoweVA
01-20-2021, 06:11 PM
Merci:

Despite my experiments the other evening, 'twas BitDefender after all. Turned it off again and tested with Jackson Browne and it came right up. Added CDGrab.exe to exclusions, turned protection back on, and all is good. Many thanks.

And apologies. I thought I had managed to test this before I got in touch, but I must have botched it somehow.

Now good to go with some new music. Keep up the good work.

MRoweVA
11-12-2021, 08:06 PM
Spoon:

A quick note for something that might help. You assisted on this thread with my earlier problems accessing metadata and accurate rip on my basement workstation. All was fine upstairs, but down below ground -- not so much. And coming back a couple of months later, I encountered problems again. Took me a while to get back to troubleshooting, and there are two things that seem to have been part of the problem.

The first, which made me feel foolish, was that the advanced settings has a check box that says "allow access to the internet." Hadn't occurred to me that this was an issue, and I certainly don't recall unchecking the box. Not sure if I glitched or the software did. But it might be worth a bit of code that would point to this possibility when the thing can't get to the internet, and reminds you that the box is present.

Second, I have a firewall set to block outbound ports unless I grant permission. If I set the machine to allow it always communicate outbound, and check the box above, everything works. That's a viable solution I can turn on and off during ripping sessions, but if there are particular outbound TCP or UDP ports the program uses, that'd be handy.

Program is working perfectly now and continues to be a great tool.

Thanks much.