PDA

View Full Version : Question before purchase

tr0ner
03-11-2016, 08:46 AM
Hi,

Asset UPnp looks like the server software I need after trying a couple of Upnp servers available for ubuntu server.

I am especially intrested in the following feature in the pro version:

Browse by File & Folder

I will try to explain what I hope the pro version can do (when the new search function in the upcoming version is done):
I have a large music collection hosted on my NAS running Ubuntu server which I organise by file and folder names only. I do not use tags at all. I don't use playlists (although there are several playlists in my collection).
I want to use BubbleUPNP to browse through my files and folders and use it to play on my Denon Receiver either by file (if it is only one song) or by complete folder (if it is an album).
When I search for music I want to enter a keyword and hopefully get a list of results showing me all foldernames and filenames containing that keyword.
Is that something I could achieve with the pro version?
All the other servers I have tried sort the searchresults by tags (albums / artists) and so on. Since my collection is not properly tagged that leads to lots of cluttered results (The Beatles, the Beatles, beatles, Beatles and so on).

Another concern are the library updates:
can Asset Upnp handle the change of a large collection after adding new folders or do I have to rescan the whole library again after each change?

I am looking forward to your feedback!

Spoon
03-11-2016, 10:23 AM
Search is unlikely to help you because search is ID Tag based.

Asset is able to rescan detecting the changes.

tr0ner
03-11-2016, 01:24 PM
Search is unlikely to help you because search is ID Tag based.

Asset is able to rescan detecting the changes.

Thanks for your reply. I'm starting to think that there is no software which does what I need, although it really seems to be one of the most basic functions :(

mville
03-11-2016, 02:43 PM
Thanks for your reply. I'm starting to think that there is no software which does what I need, although it really seems to be one of the most basic functions

You need to tag you files. If your file/folder structure is comprehensive and consistent, you can tag your files from the file and folder names.

Dunelm
04-10-2016, 08:16 PM
Thanks for your reply. I'm starting to think that there is no software which does what I need, although it really seems to be one of the most basic functions :(

I agree. I am thinking of puchasing Asset but hoped it would allow me to browse/search by folder and file name.

In addition, most of my files are .wav files and I read somewhere that .wav files can't be tagged with metadata.

Dat Ei
04-11-2016, 01:47 AM
Hey Dunelm,

In addition, most of my files are .wav files and I read somewhere that .wav files can't be tagged with metadata.

you have several options: tag the wave files (is possible to a certain degree) or convert the wave files into i.e. flac files and then tag those flac files.

Dat Ei

schmidj
04-11-2016, 09:52 AM
If you download and run the "audio tag update" utility codec available for dBPoweramp , you can then tag .wav files pretty successfully, at least using the tagging capability within dBPoweramp. Some other software, in particular mp3tag (which despite the name works with almost all audio files) will not work with .wav files. I tag the .wav files I record and produce myself that way, before conversion to other filetypes. I have to keep the master files as .wav, for compatibility with my editing software.

If you don't have the editing issues then you should seriously consider converting to flac. The copies of my files that I actually listen to when not editing are flac conversions of the .wav files.

Dunelm
04-11-2016, 03:20 PM
Dat Ei and schmidj, many thanks for your comments. Nearly all my files are currently .wav. Some I recorded myself from live performing and most were recorded from the BBC's internet radio on demand, with Total Recorder. So I'll do what schmidj suggests.