PDA

View Full Version : How lose the word "the"

hedlite56
03-06-2016, 11:42 PM
First off, I'm new to this and so this is a "newbie" question.

My question: is it possible to tell the ripper to negate the word "the" from the name of a band?

I know that in settings one can have it read either The Beatles or Beatles, The. I'm simply looking to get rid of the word altogether.

I've been going up to the Album Artist and Artist boxes and simply backspacing the "the" out of it and it works fine but with over 2k of CDs to rip, I'd rather not have to do this endlessly but, of course, I will if that's all that's optioned to me.

Thanks in advance for any words of advice you can throw my way.

BTW, great set of programs. The full boat, while modestly pricey, is well worth the price of admission.

Spoon
03-07-2016, 04:18 AM
If you install R16 you can use DSP Effect 'ID Tag Processing', with the rule based manipulation set to:

If artist=[anyvalue]
SET artist=[REPLACE]The ,,[artist][]

If album artist=[anyvalue]
SET album artist=[REPLACE]The ,,[album artist][]

garym
03-07-2016, 07:47 AM
Is your reason related to how a player/server menu reports the artists. For example, the players/servers I use have a setting to ignore the "the" in alphabetic listing of artists. Thus "The Beatles" shows up under the Bs, The Cars shows up under Cs, etc. You may end up crippling your metadata (by not using actual artist names) only to find out later, you wish they were correct because you now use players that deal with the "the" (or "a", "los", etc.). See pic for example from my LMS server feeding my squeezeboxes.

mville
03-07-2016, 11:44 AM
Yes, I agree with garym. Is your reason for removing the The from Artist or Album Artist, to circumvent sorting problems or for visual/aesthetic reasons?

schmidj
03-07-2016, 12:22 PM
Don't forget there is also the Artist Sort tag, which, if supported by your player, solves these issues: Artist: The Beatles; Artist Sort: Beatles, The or Beatles, or whatever you want without messing up the Artist tag.