PDA

View Full Version : hal.dll total crash

Cabrales
06-06-2002, 10:01 AM
When I launch dbpowerAMP or music converter, I get nowhere. The PC creashes into a DOS looking screen with a lot of codes, but it says 800143fa has base at 80010000, and it is somehow related to hal.dll Any thoughts? By the way, at this point the pc is totally frozen and I have to reboot to get back in. I operate Windows NT version 4.00.1381. I downloaded the latest version of DBpoweramp (as of 6/5/2002), and I installed a CODEC ASPI manager from the CODEC website.

Spoon
06-06-2002, 10:18 AM
Does it crash when you convert say a Wave file to Wave file?

Cabrales
06-06-2002, 10:39 AM
Most of the time I don't get that far. It crashes as soon as I double click on the dbpowerAMP icon. A couple of times it has made it as the screen where I tell it which track to convert, and when I tell it to convert it crashes. I am trying to convert .cda files to the real format

totalXSive
06-06-2002, 12:32 PM
You should use the Audio CD Input utility to copy audio CDs - the .cda files aren't really files, just representations of the songs on the CD.

It may be that you have a problem with the command set dMC is using to talk to CD-ROM drive. Go to Start > Programs > dBpowerAMP Music Converter > Configuration > dMC Audio CD Configuration and try changing some of the settings.

[added later]

hal.dll is, according to its properties, the "Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL". A quick search on Google brought up http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q237556 which may help you to solve your problem.

Cabrales
06-06-2002, 01:23 PM
I am not trying to copy the songs, I am trying to convert them to a pc file format so I can send it to a friend as an attachment, and she can double click and listen to it with one of the run of the mill programs like real. The crazy thing is that I'll probably only do it this one time. The web link above has help regarding a Windows 2000 system. I have NT and the instructions are not applicable.

Spoon
06-06-2002, 02:35 PM
The hal is quite a low level of NT, it should not crash - I would look at updating drivers, videocard, etc.