PDA

View Full Version : R15.3 unable to load encoder m4a FDK (AAC)

jkonrad
01-15-2016, 11:50 AM
Just upgraded to R15.3 on Windows 10. First, I uninstalled R13.5 and codecs, and then restarted the computer and installed R15.3 and m4a encoder. Tried regular install (just double clicking on files). Then uninstalled/restarted and tried 32-bit install (right-shift+double click). In both cases everything installs in Program Files (x86). Shouldn't the first (without right-shift) install in Program Files?

After installing the encoder, the file "m4a FDK (AAC).dll" exists in the encoder directory but dBconfig does not list it among installed encoders. Batch Converter allows to select m4a but no encoding options appear and it fails to load encoders when trying to convert:

Error: Unable to load encoder 'm4a FDK (AAC)'. [dBCoreConverter::dBCoreConverter]

I am completely confused. I expected it to be a simple installation.

Thanks

Spoon
01-15-2016, 12:44 PM
Uninstall as much as dBpoweramp as you can, then run:

https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?13285-Totally-Clearing-dBpoweramp-from-the-System

To clear the install folders.

Then install R15.3, then the encoder to default folders.

jkonrad
01-15-2016, 02:13 PM
Thank you. I removed all dbpoweramp stuff, restarted, used the above utility twice (as admin and then as regular - I am the admin BTW) and resinstalled R15.3 and then m4a encoder, by just clicking both (went to x86 - is it 64-bit version?) - no change, fails to load encoder. THen, cleaned everything as before and installed the same with right-shift + double-click (32-bit, went again to x86) and no effect, still cannot find encoder. dbconfig cannot see m4a but batch converter shows it in the list (without coding options when clicked) but fails to load the m4a encoder. What's happening. Again this is Win10.

Thanks

jkonrad
01-15-2016, 07:57 PM
I read some FAQ's to find out more. I understand dBpoweramp should install in .../Program Files when double-clicked (64 bits), but in my case it installs into .../Program Files (x86), at least this is what the default installation path is, REGARDLESS whether I double-click or right-shift+double-click. Perhaps this piece of info helps.

Thanks

Spoon
01-16-2016, 06:06 AM
What is the exact file name of the install you are running?

jkonrad
01-16-2016, 10:14 AM
The dBpoweramp file name is: dMC-R15.3-Ref-Registered.exe and the encoder: dBpoweramp-Codec-m4a FDK (AAC) Encoder.exe

The first one downloaded automatically when I clicked "Download" button on my registration retrieval page. For the encoder, I selected "m4a (Apple Lossless & AAC)" codec from the Codec Central page.

Thanks

Spoon
01-16-2016, 01:56 PM
When you run Configure dBpoweramp at the top does it say it is 64 bit that is installed?

jkonrad
01-16-2016, 02:03 PM
It states that dBpoweramp is 64-bit (see the image below), but it is installed in Program Files (x86) since that was the default path when I launched the installation.

Should I change the installation path? But then, will the encoder be installed in the same location?

Spoon
01-16-2016, 06:32 PM
Uninstall, then reinstall, it should default to the proper 'Program Files' path, not (x86).

jkonrad
01-16-2016, 11:21 PM
I did and by default it tries to install into Program Files (x86) despite me NOT pressing the right-shift key when double-clicking - strange Win10 behavior. So, I manually changed paths to Program Files (x86) for both dBpoweramp and m4a codec installation and it works! Great. Thank you for prompt replies.