PDA

View Full Version : Error messages using Test Conversion in Batch Converter

wvgraber
01-13-2016, 02:00 PM
Apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere- I searched but could not find it.

I used the Test Conversion in Batch Converter on a large library of ~18,000 tracks including mp3, flac, wav and m4a formats. It reported 206 errors which included only mp3 and flac file types. I've begun listening to these tracks and have found very few of them actually have audible playback errors (currently using VLC player). The errors listed are either

Error decoding mp3 data stream, is corrupt? (for the mp3s)
indicated sample count does not match decoded sample count, possible file corruption (for the flacs)

Basically I'm just wondering what the test conversion looks at and what the reported errors actually mean. Considering the total number of tracks 206 aren't very many, but it's still a lot to listen to when looking for problem files. I'm getting ready to do a large batch conversion of my lossless files to mp3 for portable players and wondering if the process will stall due to unremoved corrupt files and if I'll have problems knowing where to restart the conversion. (Hope I stated that clearly enough!)

Many thanks,
Butch

Spoon
01-13-2016, 02:59 PM
The mp3 will be corrupted blocks, as each block in mp3 is relatively short it is possible you do not hear the error.

The flac error might not be an error at all, as far as the decoded audio is concerned, just a faulty encoder. With flac the total number of samples is stored in a header, if this number was written wrong then the error would show, but the audio could be 100% correct.

wvgraber
01-19-2016, 09:15 AM
Thanks Spoon, I've been away. I'll let my ears be my guide then. It's a really useful tool- I've identified some music which can easily be replaced now but might not be so easy to reacquire in the future. Cheers.