PDA

View Full Version : Ripped in Windows want correct title display in Mac

soongsc
01-07-2016, 04:07 AM
Hi,

I have ripped lots of CD in Windows, since now I am using MacBook for playback most of the time, the some titles seem scrambled. Is there a way to batch convert these so that I can correctly see all track titles properly from the Mac? Files are stored on a NAS and played back using Jriver Media Centre.

Spoon
01-07-2016, 05:23 AM
Which audio format you ripped to?

soongsc
01-07-2016, 06:41 AM
Wav files.

Spoon
01-07-2016, 09:52 AM
Not many programs can read ID Tags from wave files, you would be better with a different format, such as FLAC or Apple Lossless.

soongsc
01-07-2016, 07:25 PM
I am using Jriver Media Center under Windows and OS X, and most track titles are displayed correctly under Windows, but under OS X, most titles with a language other than English is not shown correctly, I was assuming it is a text code issue, and hoping that dbpoweramp could help correct it since all were originally ripped using dbpoweramp.

Spoon
01-08-2016, 03:25 AM
If J River is only reading the LIST Tags, not the ID3 chunk (dbp will write both types of tags to wave files), then Unicode is not supported this way, FLAC supports Unicode.

soongsc
01-08-2016, 03:34 AM
So if I convert all the existing files to FLAC then it should work? Or do I have to re-rip?

Spoon
01-08-2016, 08:36 AM
You can convert with dBpoweramp, as it can read the tags correctly.

soongsc
01-08-2016, 09:39 AM
I don't recall seeing options to select character code, when I ripped from Windows. Does converting to FLAC automatically use Unicode for the id tag or is there an option to set it somewhere?

Spoon
01-08-2016, 10:41 AM
There is no option to set it, flac is Unicode, wave stores both Unicode and non-Unicode by default.

mville
01-09-2016, 07:51 AM
I am using Jriver Media Center under Windows and OS X, and most track titles are displayed correctly under Windows, but under OS X, most titles with a language other than English is not shown correctly, I was assuming it is a text code issue, and hoping that dbpoweramp could help correct it since all were originally ripped using dbpoweramp.

Sounds like a Jriver Media Center issue. What do Jriver say about the incorrect titles?

soongsc
01-10-2016, 12:36 AM
I guess I need to find out as well. There seemed to be a similar issue running in Windows for a while in earlier versions, but later versions seemed to work right most of the time.