PDA

View Full Version : RG codec not writing Album Gain tag, "All Files in Same Folder"

Late2DM
10-28-2015, 07:36 PM
version R15.3
RG codec, Track & Album Gain specified
"All Files in Same Folder" selected for album identification.
Processing Vorbis files, single folder selected, then 2 folders selected.
In both cases the only tags written are Track Gain & Track Peak.

Selecting "Album Id Tag" for album identification causes both Track (Gain & Peak) and Album (ditto) tags to be written.

Since music files are all organized by album and all files within any given folder belong to the same album, am I correct in assuming that Album Gain tags should be written for both of the named album identification specifications?

Late2DM
10-28-2015, 08:21 PM
I need to update the initial post..

Just ran the process against a 30+ folder tree, specifying "Album Id Tag" for album identification. A cursory examination of tracks in a dozen folders indicates the Album Gain tags are not being written.

?!?!

Spoon
10-29-2015, 04:44 AM
The album tags are written at the end of processing, if some other program has the files open (because they previously were tagged) then it would block the album gain from writing.

garym
10-29-2015, 06:39 AM
The album tags are written at the end of processing, if some other program has the files open (because they previously were tagged) then it would block the album gain from writing.

do you have a server or NAS or some program that is attempting to process these files as they are being ripped?

Late2DM
10-29-2015, 09:13 AM
I retract my "update" post. I had checked for all replay gain tags while the RG process was still running with "Album Id Tag" specified. My bad. I just retested that specification with 3 folders and all tags existed at completion.

I also just tested the RG process against 3 (different) folders with "All Files in Same Folder" specified -- only Track Gain & Peak written, as I originally posted.

Process running on old XP SP3 machine. Target folder structure is on secondary physical drive of same machine. Target Vorbis files created previously (prior day) by batch converter from FLAC library. I am struggling with the suggestion the album tags are missing due to file access conflicts. Those tags are missing from every one of the 31 files in the 3 folders most recently processed, yet the track tags do exist for every one of those same 31 files.

Late2DM
10-29-2015, 09:20 AM
Not to muddy the water of this thread, but...

Am I wrong to assume the application of replay gain tags is actually a change to the files processed, even if that change is only adding metadata? I ask because "file modification dates" displayed by Windows Explorer are not changing, which seems counter intuitive. Sorry...same question applies to Id Tag Update, which I've used to remove track gain & track peak tags between tests of the RG process. Again file changes not reflected by modification date values.

garym
10-29-2015, 09:33 AM
Not to muddy the water of this thread, but...

Am I wrong to assume the application of replay gain tags is actually a change to the files processed, even if that change is only adding metadata? I ask because "file modification dates" displayed by Windows Explorer are not changing, which seems counter intuitive. Sorry...same question applies to Id Tag Update, which I've used to remove track gain & track peak tags between tests of the RG process. Again file changes not reflected by modification date values.

keep in mind that track RG tags are written when track originally written, but ALBUM tags are added later (at the end of the album rip). regarding date modfied, not sure about dbpa, but I know some programs don't change the date modified just editing the tags. some do. And some have this as a user option (e.g., mp3tag). also note that when ripping, dbpa adds extra space (padding) to the tags so that future edits won't actually require rewriting the file. So unless what is added later to tags is very large (very large embedded artwork, etc.), dbpa won't rewrite the file. Album RG tags are tiny, so the padding is more than enough and I suspect the file itself is not rewritten after adding Album RG. I suspect that is what is happening in your case.

Late2DM
10-29-2015, 10:30 AM
version R15.3

Selecting "Album Id Tag" for album identification causes both Track (Gain & Peak) and Album (ditto) tags to be written.

Since music files are all organized by album and all files within any given folder belong to the same album, am I correct in assuming that Album Gain tags should be written for both of the named album identification specifications?

Getting back on topic...
Behavior described in original post remains. I asked a very specific question...given the stated album organization (all tracks for any given album grouped together in a single folder with no other music files), should the RG process generate both Track and Album tags for either "Album Id Tag" or "All Files in Same Folder" specification?

garym
10-29-2015, 11:47 AM
Getting back on topic...
Behavior described in original post remains. I asked a very specific question...given the stated album organization (all tracks for any given album grouped together in a single folder with no other music files), should the RG process generate both Track and Album tags for either "Album Id Tag" or "All Files in Same Folder" specification?

Yes. (I only use "Album ID Tag" method, so have no first hand experience with "All files in same folder"). But I can confirm that with FLAC rips or mp3 conversions, I always have both Track and Album RG values written.

scala
01-05-2016, 10:36 AM
version R15.3

+1
I have been having the same problem for a long time: Windows 7 - 32bit, AMD proc., version R15.3, MS defender as antivirus. And the problem was there also in R14.
Today, just for a trial, I installed dBpoweramp on another PC (Windows 7 - 64bit, Intel proc., version R15.3, MS defender) and the bug is still there.
This happens irrespective of the file type (I tested with flac, aac, aac lossless, mp3), and irrespective if located on internal HD, external HD, or NAS/SMB server.

The problem was already pointed out long ago in another thread https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?30684-ReplayGain-Album-Gain-Probmlem where Spoon commented (February 2015) "noted" ;)

scala
01-23-2016, 05:23 AM
I recently installed Windows 10 -32 bit replacing the older Windows 7... and the Album Gain & Album Peak problem is still there.

huppi
03-31-2016, 05:58 AM
I started with dBpoweramp on my Mac a few days ago, mainly to convert FLAC files to ALAC (Apple lossless) and add the ReplayGain tags in one go.
There are thousands to do. Because I use iTunes and typically listen to complete albums like LPs in the older days I need the Album Gain (which is automatically used as iTUNNORM)
But I also get only the Track Gain when using Batch Converter and when using Music Converter with the Setting Album ID.
Only with "All files in Batch same album" I get all RG-Tags written correctly.
But scanning and converting thousands of albums one by one is definitely too much work.
Some more info:
I don't use security software - only a firewall (Little Snitch)
Nothing uses my Audio Files while dBpoweramp is working on them.
My collection is living on a Synology NAS; this also is not in use during the scanning and converting.
I did the same Actions with the same files in Foobar2000 (using CrossOver because it is Windows Software) and it worked perfectly and fast.

So this is definitely a bug which should be fixed to give dBpoweramp the full and reliable Replaygain functionality. Without that it is unusable with big collections.

garym
03-31-2016, 07:23 AM
This *should* work automatically for you. Note that itunes doesn't use RG values at all. It uses the itunes normalization values (that are also written by the dbpa RB DSP and then used by iTunes). You've got both these settings as in the attached pictures.