PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Fraunhofer IIS

Dat Ei
09-03-2015, 02:16 PM
Hey Spoon,

I've tried to convert a 24bit / 192kHz flac file with the Fraunhofer IIS codec into a 320 kbps CBR mp3. No matter if I chose fast or high quality, the resulting file is defect and produces nothing but a popping sound at the beginning - the rest is silence. Is this a known issue?

Dat Ei

Spoon
09-03-2015, 02:33 PM
You are using the 32 bit version of dBpoweramp and our fraunhofer mp3 codec?

Dat Ei
09-03-2015, 02:36 PM
You are using the 32 bit version of dBpoweramp and our fraunhofer mp3 codec?

Yes, I do. Fraunhofer is only compatible with the 32bit version of dBpa.

Dat Ei

Spoon
09-03-2015, 05:54 PM
Try using DSP effects resample and Bit depth to reduce the file whilst converting.

Dat Ei
09-04-2015, 02:49 AM
Hey Spoon,

Try using DSP effects resample and Bit depth to reduce the file whilst converting.

I will try this next week. In the meanwhile I've tried to convert the flac file with the lame converter successfully.

Is this a known problem of the Fraunhofer converter? Is there a chance for a fix in the future? The Fraunhofer codex is the only reason for me to stay with the 32bit version of dBpa. Will we ever see a 64bit version of the Fraunhofer?

Dat Ei

Spoon
09-04-2015, 04:23 AM
Fraunhoffer is effectively unsupported as we can no longer develop with it.

Dat Ei
09-04-2015, 04:32 AM
Fraunhoffer is effectively unsupported as we can no longer develop with it.

Thanks for the statement. For me it's time to change to lame and the 64bit dBpa version...

Dat Ei

mville
09-04-2015, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the statement. For me it's time to change to lame and the 64bit dBpa version...i

I'm interested in why you have been using the Fraunhofer encoder and not the lame encoder. Is there any particular reason why?

Dat Ei
09-05-2015, 03:51 AM
Hey mville,

I'm interested in why you have been using the Fraunhofer encoder and not the lame encoder. Is there any particular reason why?

it is not the result of intensive testing. It's more the trust in and respect for Fraunhofer, (one of) the inventors of mp3. So you may call me old-fashioned... :)

But aside of that: the encoding of Fraunhofer is even quicker than that of lame.

Dat Ei

mville
09-06-2015, 10:35 AM
it is not the result of intensive testing. It's more the trust in and respect for Fraunhofer, (one of) the inventors of mp3. So you may call me old-fashioned... :)

But aside of that: the encoding of Fraunhofer is even quicker than that of lame.

Thanks for the clarification.