PDA

View Full Version : Play from dBpoweramp

Kasper
08-31-2015, 12:59 PM
I have just downloaded dBpoweramp to my mac. It works. I have saved cds in in flac, but how do I play them. Do I need another program for that?

Spoon
08-31-2015, 01:15 PM
You can rip to Apple Lossless then play in iTunes.

BrodyBoy
09-01-2015, 10:51 PM
I have just downloaded dBpoweramp to my mac. It works. I have saved cds in in flac, but how do I play them. Do I need another program for that?
dBpoweramp is a program primarily used for creating digital audio files from CDs. As you probably saw when you were setting up and ripping those CDs, it can create/convert audio files in a wide variety of formats. Once you have the digital files, you can use them in any player that is compatible with that format you used. Examples are network media players (standalone or built into TVs, blu-ray players, etc), portable devices like iPods, car audio systems, computer-based players (iTunes, foobar, etc), and so on.

dBp is not, itself, a player. Most of us use it to build our digital music libraries from our CD collections, and then use our libraries for home and portable playback. Spoon mentioned that you could rip or convert to Apple Lossless (ALAC) and then play back your music in iTunes. This is because (1) it's the player that already exists on your Mac, and (2) Apple players (iTunes, iPods, etc) are not compatible with FLAC files. I'm sure there are other Mac programs you could get that can play FLAC, but if you tend to use Apple products, you're better off just going with a format that they'll all use without special software or modification.

There are a few lossless codecs that are compatible with Apple programs and devices, but I'd recommend Apple Lossless as the most user-friendly. For a lossy codec, high-quality AAC and MP3 are good choices....both are well-supported in iTunes and virtually every other player. You can use dBp's Music Converter program to easily and quickly convert your FLAC files to ALAC, or whatever codec you choose.