PDA

View Full Version : Asset UpnP is not showing all my music files

Watson
08-31-2015, 10:59 AM
Guys, help needed.

I have Asset running on my QNAP. I have configured Asset UPnP to scan two directories. One with mostly FLAC and one with only WAV files.
Switching on the logging I can see that Asset is scanning both directories. Here is a snapshot of one album:

16:19:46 Adding New Track: /share/MD0_DATA/Naim_backup/MQ/ABBA/18 Hits/15 - Honey, Honey.WAV
16:19:46 Adding New Track: /share/MD0_DATA/Naim_backup/MQ/ABBA/18 Hits/12 - Lay All Your Love on Me.WAV
16:19:46 Adding New Track: /share/MD0_DATA/Naim_backup/MQ/ABBA/18 Hits/16 - Waterloo.WAV
16:19:46 Adding New Track: /share/MD0_DATA/Naim_backup/MQ/ABBA/18 Hits/02 - Super Trouper.WAV
16:19:46 Adding New Track: /share/MD0_DATA/Naim_backup/MQ/ABBA/18 Hits/03 - Waterloo.WAV
16:19:46 Adding New Track: /share/MD0_DATA/Naim_backup/MQ/ABBA/18 Hits/18 - Dame! Dame! Dame! [Gimme, Gimme, Gimme (A Man After Midnight)].WAV
16:19:46 Adding New Track: /share/MD0_DATA/Naim_backup/MQ/ABBA/18 Hits/09 - Fernando.WAV
16:19:46 Adding New Track: /share/MD0_DATA/Naim_backup/MQ/ABBA/18 Hits/05 - The Name of the Game.WAV
16:19:46 Adding New Track: /share/MD0_DATA/Naim_backup/MQ/ABBA/18 Hits/13 - Thank You for the Music.WAV
16:19:46 Adding New Track: /share/MD0_DATA/Naim_backup/MQ/ABBA/18 Hits/01 - The Winner Takes It All.WAV
16:19:46 Adding New Track: /share/MD0_DATA/Naim_backup/MQ/ABBA/18 Hits/08 - S.O.S.WAV
16:19:46 Adding New Track: /share/MD0_DATA/Naim_backup/MQ/ABBA/18 Hits/17 - Ring Ring.WAV
16:19:46 Adding New Track: /share/MD0_DATA/Naim_backup/MQ/ABBA/18 Hits/11 - Mamma Mia.WAV
16:19:46 Adding New Track: /share/MD0_DATA/Naim_backup/MQ/ABBA/18 Hits/04 - Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight).WAV
16:19:46 Adding New Track: /share/MD0_DATA/Naim_backup/MQ/ABBA/18 Hits/14 - Happy New Year.WAV
16:19:46 Adding New Track: /share/MD0_DATA/Naim_backup/MQ/ABBA/18 Hits/10 - Hasta Maņana.WAV
16:19:46 Adding New Track: /share/MD0_DATA/Naim_backup/MQ/ABBA/18 Hits/06 - Ring Ring.WAV

These are tracks from my second directory.

Unfortunately, Asset is not showing any of these tracks from my second directory but all from my first directory.

What is my mistake? Any further logging I can activate to have a better view on this problem?

Thanks for your help.

Watson

mville
08-31-2015, 11:06 AM
Unfortunately, Asset is not showing any of these tracks from my second directory but all from my first directory.

What is my mistake? Any further logging I can activate to have a better view on this problem?

In what client software are these tracks not showing?

Can you post examples from the Asset log, showing files from the first directory?

... also

Make sure wav isn't excluded here:
Asset UPnP Configuration >> Advanced Settings >> Exclude Audio Types

What do you have set here:
Asset UPnP Configuration >> Advanced Settings >> Audio Format Streaming
FLAC
WAV

are they set to FLAC as is and WAV as is?

Watson
08-31-2015, 11:19 AM

Can you post examples from the Asset log, showing files from the first directory?

Here you go:

16:18:33 Adding New Track: /share/MD0_DATA/Music/Cole Holly/Temptation/16 Holly Cole - Briar and the Rose.flac
16:18:33 Adding New Track: /share/MD0_DATA/Music/Cole Holly/Temptation/03 Holly Cole - Jersey Girl.flac
16:18:33 Adding New Track: /share/MD0_DATA/Music/Cole Holly/Temptation/05 Holly Cole - Falling Down.flac
16:18:33 Adding New Track: /share/MD0_DATA/Music/Cole Holly/Temptation/15 Holly Cole - Good Old Girl Waltz.flac
16:18:33 Adding New Track: /share/MD0_DATA/Music/Cole Holly/Temptation/11 Holly Cole - Tango 'Til They're Sore.flac
16:18:33 Adding New Track: /share/MD0_DATA/Music/Cole Holly/Temptation/17 Holly Cole - Shiver Me Timbers.flac
16:18:33 Adding New Track: /share/MD0_DATA/Music/Cole Holly/Temptation/01 Holly Cole - Take Me Home.flac
16:18:33 Adding New Track: /share/MD0_DATA/Music/Cole Holly/Temptation/02 Holly Cole - Train Song.flac
16:18:33 Adding New Track: /share/MD0_DATA/Music/Cole Holly/Temptation/04 Holly Cole - Temptation.flac
16:18:33 Adding New Track: /share/MD0_DATA/Music/Cole Holly/Temptation/12 Holly Cole - Heart of Saturday Night.flac
16:18:33 Adding New Track: /share/MD0_DATA/Music/Cole Holly/Temptation/10 Holly Cole - I Don't Wanna Grow Up.flac
16:18:33 Adding New Track: /share/MD0_DATA/Music/Cole Holly/Temptation/13 Holly Cole - Soldier's Things.flac
16:18:33 Adding New Track: /share/MD0_DATA/Music/Cole Holly/Temptation/14 Holly Cole - I Want You.flac
16:18:33 Adding New Track: /share/MD0_DATA/Music/Cole Holly/Temptation/08 Holly Cole - Frank's Theme.flac
16:18:33 Adding New Track: /share/MD0_DATA/Music/Cole Holly/Temptation/06 Holly Cole - Invitation to the Blues.flac
16:18:33 Adding New Track: /share/MD0_DATA/Music/Cole Holly/Temptation/09 Holly Cole - Little Boy Blue.flac
16:18:33 Adding New Track: /share/MD0_DATA/Music/Cole Holly/Temptation/07 Holly Cole - Cinny's Waltz.flac

Client Software is Twonky and Media Connect on my mobile Device. If it helps I can check with my Hi-Fi equipment.

mville
08-31-2015, 11:30 AM
Have you re-booted the server or restarted Asset?

Are your wav files tagged? If there is a problem here and there often is when it comes to tagging wav files, Asset may not build it's database successfully.

I'm guessing that it is a wav only problem.

Watson
08-31-2015, 11:31 AM

... also

Make sure wav isn't excluded here:
Asset UPnP Configuration >> Advanced Settings >> Exclude Audio Types

What do you have set here:
Asset UPnP Configuration >> Advanced Settings >> Audio Format Streaming
FLAC
WAV

are they set to FLAC as is and WAV as is?

Everything is set as default. No exclusion, everything set to "as is"

mville
08-31-2015, 11:45 AM
Client Software is Twonky and Media Connect on my mobile Device. If it helps I can check with my Hi-Fi equipment.

Worth a try. What is the Hi-Fi device that will be playing the flac and wav files?

Make sure the Hi-Fi device is capable of playing flac and wav via DLNA.

Spoon
08-31-2015, 11:49 AM
Try browsing with Advanced Search >> File and Folder Browsing

Watson
08-31-2015, 11:50 AM
Have you re-booted the server or restarted Asset?

Are your wav files tagged? If there is a problem here and there often is when it comes to tagging wav files, Asset may not build it's database successfully.

I'm guessing that it is a wav only problem.

Yes, rebooted, restarted, re-scanned.

How can I check it the WAV files are tagged? I did not but maybe the ripping HW/SW?

Watson
08-31-2015, 11:55 AM
Try browsing with Advanced Search >> File and Folder Browsing

Requires Premium ...

I am happy to pay 30 bugs but I want to make sure that it is working as I expect.

mville
08-31-2015, 12:32 PM
How can I check it the WAV files are tagged? I did not but maybe the ripping HW/SW?

What is/was the ripping HW/SW?

Watson
08-31-2015, 12:40 PM
What is/was the ripping HW/SW?

That is a NAIM UnitiServ which is ripping CD's automatically. The idea is to sell this device because all CD's are ripped and than use Asset UPnP as the only music server based on my NAS.

mville
08-31-2015, 12:47 PM
That is a NAIM UnitiServ which is ripping CD's automatically. The idea is to sell this device because all CD's are ripped and than use Asset UPnP as the only music server based on my NAS.

How many CDs have you ripped as wav? If there aren't many, maybe consider re-ripping them as flac, assuming you don't have dBpoweramp.

Watson
08-31-2015, 12:58 PM
app. 300 CD's are ripped using UnitiServ. So, I have not planned to do it again.

Spoon
08-31-2015, 01:16 PM
The wave files will have no ID tags, so asset can only show as unknown artist, etc.

mville
08-31-2015, 01:18 PM
app. 300 CD's are ripped using UnitiServ. So, I have not planned to do it again.

I am not familiar with QNAP, so I'd like to confirm one more thing. The audio files (flac and wav) are stored locally on the QNAP and the QNAP has no tag editing software installed?

Do you have another PC?

Watson
08-31-2015, 02:13 PM
I have found the tracks under All Tracks. So Asset UPnP has importet them but was not able to parse correctly.

How can this be fixed?

mville
08-31-2015, 02:39 PM
I have found the tracks under All Tracks. So Asset UPnP has importet them but was not able to parse correctly.

How can this be fixed?

By tagging the files correctly, hence all my previous questions.

I am trying to establish what options you've got, based on your setup. I can't help you otherwise.

Watson
09-01-2015, 10:24 AM
What do you mean by "correct tagging" and which program should I use (on a Mac) to view the tags?

Sorry for asking, but I am only a consumer not a hacker.

Thanks for your help

mville
09-01-2015, 03:07 PM
What do you mean by "correct tagging"

You are probably aware of most of the following, but I'll explain anyway.

Most audio servers/streamers/players/clients use metadata tags to 'describe' the digital audio files in an audio library.

Asset UPnP Premium is a DLNA compatible audio server which uses these tags to build it's database. The data is served to the client software, using the DLNA protocol, so the client can select, search and play tracks.

If any important/descriptive metadata is missing, Asset is unable to adequately tell the client about the tracks. Asset has a work-around for this, where you are able to use File and Folder Browsing to access the tracks based on their file and folder location. However, this option is only available in the paid version of Asset.

At the moment, it is unclear what metadata is contained in your wav files. It is possible there isn't any. So, by correct tagging, I mean the basic metadata tags which need to be populated e.g. Artist, Title, Album, Year, Genre, Track Number, Disc Number, Comment, etc., to get a basic, usable user experience with Asset.

which program should I use (on a Mac) to view the tags?

Regarding a tagging application for the Mac, that supports the tagging of wav files, I cannot comment as I am a Windows only user, due to the lack of software/tools available for the Apple platform and the inflexible attitude Apple currently imposes on it's users. Hopefully, some Apple users will chime in here to help and advise you.

Sorry for asking, but I am only a consumer not a hacker.

It is absolutely fine to ask questions. This is a support forum and we are all consumers here, not hackers (well, there might be one or two, but I think you know what I mean)

Watson
09-01-2015, 04:20 PM
Here is was I did and the result but unfortunately not the solution of my problem:

I have copied my wav files to the first directory - no changes
I have converted the wav files to FLAC - no changes
I have added the missing tags to one album and now it appears as it should.

The bad thing is that I do not want to add tags to all my files (app. 300 albums containing app 3500 tracks)

We have now found the problem but I do not have a solution for my problem.

Any ideas how this tags can be added in an automated way? All files tracks are sorted in folders: Artist/Album/Tracknumber Artist - Title

Needed information is there but not in the needed format.

garym
09-01-2015, 04:33 PM
Here is was I did and the result but unfortunately not the solution of my problem:

I have copied my wav files to the first directory - no changes
I have converted the wav files to FLAC - no changes
I have added the missing tags to one album and now it appears as it should.

The bad thing is that I do not want to add tags to all my files (app. 300 albums containing app 3500 tracks)

Any ideas how this tags can be added in an automated way? All files tracks are sorted in folders: Artist/Album/Tracknumber Artist - Title

Needed information is there but not in the needed format.

If your directories/subdirectories and file names have useful info, then you can add tags in a giant batch, very easy. Convert WAV files to FLAC first, keeping same file names/directory structure. Then install mp3tag from here:
http://download.mp3tag.de/mp3tagv271setup.exe

Then within mp3tag you can select all the files, then "convert", filename to tags option, then use the appropriate listing. For example, if your files are named:

c:\music\The Beatles\Abbey Road\1. Come Together.flac

You would use this in the "convert filename to tag" option:
\%artist%\%album%\%track%. %title%

(may need a "\music" in front, as in:
\music\%artist%\%album%\%track%. %title%
..you'll need to play around with this first to get it what you want).

Then you'll end up with these tags automatically:

ARTIST, ALBUM, TRACK, TITLE

if there's stuff in filename you don't want in tags, you put in placeholders like %dummy%, etc.

All this is doing is reading the info from filename/directory and writing that to the FLAC tag. It is not changing the audio stream. You will probably want to treat regular albums differently from Compilations, etc. But you get the idea. Actually quite easy. Obviously, play around a bit first to make sure you know what it is doing. And I'd make sure I had a backup of everything before doing anything (which is what one should always have in any case).

ps I helped a friend do this with >50,000 tracks with no tags but good organization and filenames and it worked very nicely.

mville
09-01-2015, 05:50 PM
If your directories/subdirectories and file names have useful info, then you can add tags in a giant batch, very easy. Convert WAV files to FLAC first, keeping same file names/directory structure. Then install mp3tag from here:
http://download.mp3tag.de/mp3tagv271setup.exe

This link is for the Windows version, try here for info on running MP3Tag, Apple OSX and Wine:
http://www.mp3tag.de/en/mac-osx.html

If you can get MP3Tag running on your Mac, garym is correct and you'll be able to populate Album, Track, Artist and Title automatically from the directory name and filename.

Alepsis
09-01-2015, 05:51 PM

You have two options.

(1) Add tags to WAV files.

Problem: There isn't a wide consensus about tagging the WAVE format. Best bet would be ID3 tags, but I don't know (and AFAIK we're not told) if Asset reads ID3 tags in WAV files. (I assume it does.)

(2) Convert your WAV to another format and tag it.

IMHO, there's no good reason to keep your files in the WAVE format (or AIFF for that matter). There may have been, in days of yore, when there wasn't a lot of processing power available; but that hasn't been an issue for years.

(2.1) So, convert it to what? You have various options -- FLAC, ALE (Apple Lossless), APE (Monkey's Audio), WavPack, etc. (We're serious people here, so I won't even mention lossy compression.) There are pros and cons for each. For instance, you can manage and tag ALE with iTunes. If you have AirPlay devices, you can stream ALE from iTunes to these devices, while controlling it remotely from iOS devices. But ALE is a proprietary Apple format, and some devices don't handle ALE (Asset does). I also am a Mac user, but I prefer FLAC. I can't manage it, tag it, or play it with iTunes, but there is other software to do these jobs.

(2.2) If you decide for ALE, then the tags are going to be ID3 tags. You can use iTunes for converting and tagging. I don't know if it can do what you need automatically, but, on the Mac, iTunes is highly scriptable. Doug's Scripts

http://dougscripts.com/itunes/index.php

by Doug Adams is a handy collection of such scripts, especially if you can't write your own.

A useful ID3 tag tool is kid3 by Urs Fleisch

http://kid3.sourceforge.net

it's free, open source, and also available for OS X. It can populate some tags automatically, and you can use it for ALE, as well as FLAC and others. You can also use it if you choose option (1).

(2.3) If you choose FLAC or APE, then you need to encode your files. One such tool is Scott Brown's xACT

http://xact.scottcbrown.org

which converts to/from various formats.

If you choose FLAC or APE, you can tag it with kid3, or use Stephen Booth's Tag

http://sbooth.org/Tag/

Tag can populate tags from the file hierarchy, which may be close to what you want.

(The standard FLAC distribution includes an encoder -- flac -- and a tag editor -- metaflac -- which can be compiled on the Mac, but I infer from your posts that you're not comfortable with the CLI.)

The software tools I mentioned above are by no means the only ones available. I could also mention XLD (can't live without it, myself) or MusicBrainz Picard; you just have to search, look and test until you find what you're comfortable with.

Alepsis
09-02-2015, 09:28 AM
PS: One little detail I forgot about. Don't waste your time trying to tag WAV files with iTunes. Yes, iTunes can be used to manage WAV files; but, on the Mac, iTunes doesn't write tags in the WAV files themselves (as it does with other formats); it only writes them to its internal database.

Watson
09-04-2015, 01:47 PM
Guys,

Thanks a lot for your help. It is now working. And I learned a little bit about tagging.

- I have copied the directory with all my WAV files
- Then I have converted all WAV files to FLAC by writing in the same directory. It did not work to write in a different directory (if files are not tagged). Might be a bug.
- Deleting all WAV files in this tree was also not an easy one rm -rf *.WAV did not work as expected.
- Then I used kide for tagging. Great tool and must have for large music collection

All in all I am happy now.

Thanks again

Alepsis
09-04-2015, 04:14 PM
All in all I am happy now.
Good to hear that. It's what counts.

rm -rf *.WAV did not work as expected
I don't think you received here any advice on using rm.

It seems to me that what you wanted to do was delete all WAVE files from a directory hierarchy, irrespective of where in the hierarchy they were. If so, rm was not the best tool for the purpose. (I assume you already know that the CLI is case-sensitive, hence, in Terminal, ".WAV" is not the same thing as ".wav".) You should have used find in the top level of your hierarchy, thus:

find . -name "*.wav" -type f
This gives you listing of every file with the name extension ".wav" in the current directory, recursively; it allows you to review the list of files which are going to be deleted, to make sure it doesn't include any files you wish to keep. Then,

find . -name "*.wav" -type f -delete
will delete those files.