PDA

View Full Version : Automatically back up original CD?

diegom
08-18-2015, 06:15 PM
Hello everyone!

Finally ready to get started with this whole CD ripping thing... Obviously is the kind of thing you only want to do once (for about 1,100 CDs...), so it should be done right.
Being in IT, I'm a 'belt and suspenders' kind of guy, and I'd like to make sure that I can always go back a few steps to correct errors.

With that in mind, is it possible to make a CD backup (Let's say a single FLAC file and a cue file, so could potentially recreate the disc) and rip the individual tracks to FLAC on a single pass?

Thanks in advance!

Diego

BrodyBoy
08-19-2015, 04:10 AM
For me, these two different objectives and operations are best done with different programs. A disc backup (for the purpose of re-creating the original audio CD) is something I do separately from ripping the CD to lossless files that I add to my digital music library. dBp is the best program I know of for the latter task. When I also want a "true" backup, I create a BIN/CUE image with ImgBurn. I doubt this is actually necessary, because I keep a backup of my lossless files (which are already a perfect backup anyway)...but it just gives me a little added peace of mind for special discs in my collection. dBp doesn't create BIN files.

There are certainly other ways to do this, including the single FLAC + cue that you mentioned, but that's not really different from your separate FLACs encodes. But a BIN image file is an exact, sector by sector copy of the raw data on the CD.