PDA

View Full Version : Another renaming question

IanF
08-06-2015, 07:03 AM
Hi,
I have a few questions please. I have read a large number of the posts re naming files and using naming conventions. However, I am struggling with my own issues, so if anyone could be so kind as to identify where to correct the code that would be most kind.

My CD's are already ripped but along with a number of HD downloads. What I would like to do is a batch rename all of them to get some consistency across the file structure for once and for all. My target is to get a folder and naming structure something like:-
Artist/Artist - Album (Disc), if more than one (year), just the 4 digits of the year, - HD Sample Size-Sample Rate, if these values are greater than a normal CD ie 16-44.1 /Track No - Artist - Track Name. The result would be something like
Bruce Springsteen/Bruce Springsteen - The River (Disc 1) (1980) - HD 24-44.1/01 - Bruce Springsteeen - The Ties That Bind
or a normal CD
Blondie/Blondie - Parallel Lines (1980)/01 - Blondie - Hanging on the Telephone

But also take into account The Beatles being named as Beatles, The etc, and some way of naming compilations.

I can get sections of this but putting the whole string togther just defeats me.

I would also ask out of curiosity if members would care to post their own naming conventions? I am sure what I have is not optimal and others have devised better ways, as classical music is especially hard and I am sure others have tackled this in a much better way.

Lastly - as my files are already ripped is there a way to just batch rename the files rather than processing the audio - doingn a flac to flac doesn't make sense.

Thank you for any assistance.
Ian

mville
08-06-2015, 09:39 AM
My CD's are already ripped but along with a number of HD downloads. What I would like to do is a batch rename all of them to get some consistency across the file structure for once and for all. My target is to get a folder and naming structure something like:-
Artist/Artist - Album (Disc), if more than one (year), just the 4 digits of the year, - HD Sample Size-Sample Rate, if these values are greater than a normal CD ie 16-44.1 /Track No - Artist - Track Name.

Extracting the sample rate and bit depth will be problematic. MP3Tag software can provide the sample rate but how to get the bit depth, I don't know.

as my files are already ripped is there a way to just batch rename the files rather than processing the audio - doingn a flac to flac doesn't make sense.

You don't need to process the audio again, just the tags, filenames and folders, using the Arrange Audio Utility Codec or MP3Tag.

How many CDs are you talking about?

Have you populated the Album Artist and Album Artist Sort tags?

What does the existing file/folder structure look like?

Also, backup your existing library, before you start.

IanF
08-06-2015, 11:06 AM
Hi,
Its around 1000 CD's that were ripped.
From what I see in Batch Converter Sample rate 96KHz, Simple Size 24bit seems to be fields that are populated for my files, along with Artist and Album Artist.

My existing structure is:-
Music/Artist/Artist - Album - Year/Track No - Artist - Track Name

Seeking assistance re the naming convention is for a) to get help for compilations, classical music naming advice/suggestions, to change all those "The Beatles, The Who etc, to Who, The etc, get the HD aspect added and then also go through a complete conversion to allow me to reuse my entire library for an AIFF / Apple directory.

I realise as I have most of the info already in the directory, its about cleaning up the data and the consistency of it, which could also be done manually, but it seems a shame not to be able to use the code for such a naming convention now and in the future.

Thanks, Ian

mville
08-06-2015, 11:21 AM
From what I see in Batch Converter Sample rate 96KHz, Simple Size 24bit seems to be fields that are populated for my files, along with Artist and Album Artist.

In Batch Converter, Sample rate 96KHz and Sample Size 24bit are file properties and not tag data.

mville
08-06-2015, 11:30 AM
I realise as I have most of the info already in the directory, its about cleaning up the data and the consistency of it, which could also be done manually, but it seems a shame not to be able to use the code for such a naming convention now and in the future.

I don't think you can automate all this in one step, more like 3 or 4 steps to add/cleanup the tags.

However, whatever method you use e.g. dBpoweramp ID Tag Update and Audio Arrange utility codecs or MP3tag actions, you can save the settings/actions for future use.

I would start with Step 1, creating an Album Artist Sort tag from those Album Artist where Album Artist begins with 'The '. e.g. Album Artist is The Beatles, Album Artist Sort is Beatles, The.

Personally, I would do all this in MP3Tag, which allows you to filter tracks and apply the necessary action(s).

You can filter tracks to check for inconsistencies and for selection for processing e.g. all tracks have a discnumber, all tracks that start with 'The ', all tracks that have a sample rate equal to '44100', all tracks that have a sample rate not equal to '44100' etc.

Does your library contain about 20,000 tracks? What is the file format of this library?

What specification is your PC, OS, CPU, Ram etc.?

IanF
08-06-2015, 12:38 PM
I think its around 15,000 items and I have a Mac Pro, Quad Core with 32Gb Ram so processessing should be fine. I will look at your suggestion re MP3Tag - never used it so I'll explore.

Still interested in others naming conventions etc

DaveHemm
01-09-2017, 07:35 AM
Hi,

Did the question over appending sample rate and sample size to a folder. Batch converter picks up sample rate and sample size - is there anyway to use that information to write tags to files or to parent folder in the form e.g. [16-48] or [24/44] etc ?
I'm sure if tags could be written then take tag information from track one to append to folder ?

mville
01-09-2017, 09:06 AM
Did the question over appending sample rate and sample size to a folder. Batch converter picks up sample rate and sample size - is there anyway to use that information to write tags to files or to parent folder in the form e.g. [16-48] or [24/44] etc ?
I'm sure if tags could be written then take tag information from track one to append to folder ?

As yet (in dBpoweramp), I don't think there is a feature to take file properties and write as tag data. It is definitely doable in MP3Tag.

DaveHemm
01-09-2017, 10:44 AM
OK, cool i'll take a look at that - i tried tag&rename - couldn't figure out if that would infact do it, also musicbrainz Picard couldn't find anything there that would do it.