PDA

View Full Version : 20 Bit CD Won't Play or Rip

musicmafia
07-18-2015, 09:20 PM
Creedence Clearwater Revival "Green River" 20 bit remaster.

CD Ripper shows Track Zero (greyed out) hidden track and shows Track 1 as being 335 hours long.

The data is displayed wrong (song titles where artist should be, etc.

Plays fine on a standalone CD player.

No track will play or rip. Tried from 2 different disc drives. I'm stumped.657

Spoon
07-19-2015, 06:36 AM
Try enabling Defective by design from the options menu.

musicmafia
07-19-2015, 03:11 PM
Try enabling Defective by design from the options menu.

hey spoon, thanks for your help. unfortunately this option appears to be greyed out and i cannot tick the box to choose this option.

i also tried installing hdcd dsp and that had no effect.

Spoon
07-20-2015, 04:10 AM
Defective by design requires the Reference version. HDCD would not help.

musicmafia
07-20-2015, 01:33 PM
how do i determine what version i have? if i upgrade to reference will i be able to rip these types of cds? thx, MM

Spoon
07-20-2015, 04:54 PM
Run 'Configure dBpoweramp' it will show the version. There are no guarantees that Defective by Design will rip that cd, as it half depends on your drive.

musicmafia
07-20-2015, 07:45 PM
Run 'Configure dBpoweramp' it will show the version. There are no guarantees that Defective by Design will rip that cd, as it half depends on your drive.

Tried my luck. Upgraded to Reference and ticked Defective by Design setting, but it still won't work with either of my drives.

I only found one other 20 bit CD in my collection and it plays/rips fine with normal settings.

For my next drive, is there a particular spec I should look for?

mville
07-20-2015, 09:00 PM
I only found one other 20 bit CD in my collection and it plays/rips fine with normal settings.

You do not have a 20-bit CD. You have standard audio CD, which is 16-bit. The 20-bit mastering refers to the technology used to create the stereo masters and not the CD.

musicmafia
07-20-2015, 09:10 PM
You do not have a 20-bit CD. You have standard audio CD, which is 16-bit. The 20-bit mastering refers to the technology used to create the stereo masters and not the CD.

Whatever it is I'd sure like to rip it :)

mville
07-20-2015, 09:29 PM
Whatever it is I'd sure like to rip it :)

Yes, sure.

I'm guessing the problem is related to the Track Zero (greyed out) hidden track you mentioned earlier in post no. 1

Spoon
07-21-2015, 04:14 AM
You want to look for a drive which can overread in to the lead in / out.

musicmafia
07-21-2015, 09:06 PM
I googled those terms and didn't find any links to drives, only old discussions in various forums. Does anyone know where to find a list of these drives? Thanks, M

c-eling
07-21-2015, 11:39 PM
I googled those terms and didn't find any links to drives, only old discussions in various forums. Does anyone know where to find a list of these drives? Thanks, M

Good luck, it's a type of copy protection, my Peter Gabriel Up Promo has it also with the same symptoms, been trying for years with different software etc... gave up and did a analog out recording of it, cut and tag

Spoon
07-22-2015, 04:39 AM
Many of the earlier plextors could, see:

http://daefeatures.co.uk/

musicmafia
07-23-2015, 05:22 PM
Thanks to everyone for weighing in. I ended up thinking of a totally old-school workaround and it actually worked.

I have an old stand alone Tascam CD recorder that I haven't used in ages. Since the disc played fine on CD players (just not in drives) I burned it from a CD player via digital optical cable into the CD recorder and then ripped the CD-R using CD ripper. Read all the data and tracks. Old school but it worked :) Thanks again.