PDA

View Full Version : *Extremely* slow ripping ... on all disks. Not sure why?

szhosain
06-20-2015, 06:26 PM
Hi, all.

Pardon the newbie problem I am experiencing ... have searched on the forum for an answer without any luck. Tried disabling Magic Brainz meta-data search (as mentioned by one person) for example without no change!

Basically, I am experiencing extremely frustratingly slow ripping performance ... pretty much on all disks that I am trying (new and old).

Sometimes, the very same disk (without unloading from the LG Blu-ray drive - on the good list, by the way) goes relatively quickly and then sometimes - with the exact same settings (no change!) - the rip runs for hours to get the job done. All writes are being done to the same SSD on my laptop and speeds test on that drive show very high performance to do read and writes.

The symptom is that the Pass 1 RIP proceeds very rapidly, but then dbpoweramp just sits there for long periods without any observable results. The computer (a quad-core I7 laptop) is idling according to general system monitors.

I am attaching an image to show what I am talking about - on one of the disks I am trying to get into my system that exhibits this problem.

Where do I even begin looking to see what might be causing this issue? Thanks for your assistance in advance!

Z

Spoon
06-21-2015, 08:49 AM
As a test change ripping to 'Burst' and the encoder to Test Conversion. Does it always rip fast with these selected?

szhosain
06-21-2015, 01:10 PM
As a test change ripping to 'Burst' and the encoder to Test Conversion. Does it always rip fast with these selected?

I'll try that and report back ... thanks!

Z

szhosain
06-22-2015, 02:02 AM
Ahha! I think I have figured out my problem. For some reason (unknown to me), my super-sophisticated Firewall/Web Filter was causing things to slow down for CD Ripper when it went to do the encode. Probably when it tried to compare to the info at AccurateRip, I would guess.

Once I put in a bypass for my laptop, all so far has been proceeding rapidly and normally! I just need to retry one of the discs that was consistently slow to verify that is well.

I am now a happy paid user of the product!

BTW, I tried EAC too, but dbpoweramp is so much smoother, with a well-done interface, that it makes it much easier to use. Plus, it was able to successfully handle one disc (just one song) that EAC could not rip due to an error.

So far, the only real problems I have encountered was the slowdown (now [apparently] fixed!) and one disc that has a well-defined 0.5mm circular "hole" in the Aluminum (!) ... can't rip that one song at all no matter why I try! Is this an example of "CD rot" in some way?

Z

garym
06-22-2015, 09:48 AM
one disc that has a well-defined 0.5mm circular "hole" in the Aluminum (!) ... can't rip that one song at all no matter why I try! Is this an example of "CD rot" in some way?
Z

Yes, or some other damage, or maybe it was even a manufacturing defect. Hard to know.

szhosain
06-22-2015, 03:05 PM
Yes, or some other damage, or maybe it was even a manufacturing defect. Hard to know.

It happened in the past few months ... I had done a rip of that disc as a test some months back, the spot had not been there and I was able to rip it with EAC during my test. So, for now, I have simply used that first copy of that song and I don't have to replace the disk fortunately. Not even sure I can find that disc for sale anymore!

I know I handled the disc gently - always do - so that's why I was speculating about the CD rot or some issue like that. The spot is so unusual ... The Aluminum is simply missing and I can see the "paint" of the label through it. This disc has not been opened or played in a while, fwiw.

Z