PDA

View Full Version : Converting FLAC to MP3 bitrates

souwalker
06-12-2015, 07:44 AM
Hi
Have been trying to convert my FLAC files into MP3 for my iPhone but I cannot seem to convert to 192 or 256 or 320. I can only do odd numbers like 190 and up to 250 I think. Any clues?
Thanks

garym
06-12-2015, 08:15 AM
Hi
Have been trying to convert my FLAC files into MP3 for my iPhone but I cannot seem to convert to 192 or 256 or 320. I can only do odd numbers like 190 and up to 250 I think. Any clues?
Thanks

using LAME? Using CBR setting? (vs VBR, which would be V1, V2, etc. which have "averages" of 190, etc.).

Spoon
06-12-2015, 09:44 AM
Select the Constant bitrate (CBR)

souwalker
06-12-2015, 05:40 PM
Thank you all. CBR did the trick but I read that VBR is a better option. I am ripping jazz and contemporary jazz music, from FLAC to mp3 for my iPhone listening via my Sennheiser Momentum 2nd Generation Over Ear headphones. is 190kbps is sufficient for higher quality then 128? I know the higher I go the better but looking fo a medium where the file is reasonable and the sound too using iPhone/M2 headphones.
Many Thanks
Pat

garym
06-12-2015, 05:46 PM
Thank you all. CBR did the trick but I read that VBR is a better option. I am ripping jazz and contemporary jazz music, from FLAC to mp3 for my iPhone listening via my Sennheiser Momentum 2nd Generation Over Ear headphones. is 190kbps is sufficient for higher quality then 128? I know the higher I go the better but looking fo a medium where the file is reasonable and the sound too using iPhone/M2 headphones.
Many Thanks
Pat

You can use the ABX component in Foobar2000 player to do your own testing (make a bunch of versions at various bitrates and you can do blind testing (ABX) and test for yourself where you can distinguish between lossless and a lossy version. I agree that VBR makes more sense most of the time (maybe all the time!). For my own use, I create mp3 at V2 (~190kbs) for use in my iphone/ipod and notice no issues whatsoever. For most music, I can't ABX these mp3 -V2 files from the orginal FLAC lossless file, even on my home, reasonably high quality system. However, I *can* detect at least some files when they are 128 kbs files. Frankly, I think -V2 is probably overkill for my iphone. I'd probably be just fine with iphone and headphones at -V5. This is not super critical listening. For that, it's my home system that matters and there I'm using FLAC in any case.

souwalker
06-12-2015, 06:14 PM
Thanks agree with that FLAC for my home hifi and I think 190 is enough for iphone