PDA

View Full Version : Ripped a file with dBpoweramp as secure but file appears to be corrupted

alex2407
06-09-2015, 12:07 AM
Some time ago I have used secure settings to rip a CD and passed the rip with confidence check of 20. I have ripped to FLAC. However, now, when trying to convert it to ALAC, various decoders report the file as broken. What could be the culprit? I have 4 files like these but I am attaching one of them if examination is needed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ajogj306rmpspma/10%20Bob%20Marley%20%26%20the%20Wailers%20-%20Rat%20Race.flac?dl=0

mville
06-09-2015, 08:05 AM
Some time ago I have used secure settings to rip a CD and passed the rip with confidence check of 20. I have ripped to FLAC. However, now, when trying to convert it to ALAC, various decoders report the file as broken. What could be the culprit?

Could be a few things, but it is impossible to know for sure. Have you run any diagnostics on your hard disk to check for errors?

garym
06-09-2015, 08:46 AM
I tried it and it is definitely corrupted. But a file can be corrupted *after* it is ripped securely. Could be HDD failing, could have been corrupted when copying to the HDD, etc. Do you have backup of this file on a different HDD and is it also corrupted?

alex2407
06-09-2015, 10:23 AM
Unfortunately, I don't have a backup copy. I can check for errors of the hard drive. Should I be testing the hard drive itself or partition?

mville
06-09-2015, 01:29 PM
Unfortunately, I don't have a backup copy.

Oh dear. I would advise all users to backup their PC/audio library. A lot of time and effort can so easily be lost.

I would re-rip the CDs with corrupt files.

I can check for errors of the hard drive. Should I be testing the hard drive itself or partition?

Both. You need to rule out the HDD as a possible cause of the corruption.

alex2407
06-09-2015, 03:03 PM
Oh dear. I would advise all users to backup their PC/audio library. A lot of time and effort can so easily be lost.
What can I do to ensure integrity of archive? Keep a list of MD5 hashes?

I would re-rip the CDs with corrupt files.
Since I have a few folders to check, I'd like to do it via batch but apparently, for Mac, they don't exist. PerfectTUNES and CUEtools are for Win only. Do you know any Mac alternatives?

mville
06-09-2015, 03:14 PM
What can I do to ensure integrity of archive? Keep a list of MD5 hashes?

Not sure what you are asking here. Standard system/data backup should suffice.

Since I have a few folders to check, I'd like to do it via batch but apparently, for Mac, they don't exist. PerfectTUNES and CUEtools are for Win only. Do you know any Mac alternatives?

No. I am a Windows user.

BrodyBoy
06-09-2015, 03:45 PM
Have these files been moved around and copied much? If you're anything like me, files tend to get moved from drive-to-drive-to-drive over the years. If they've been moved/copied from the original rips, the corruption could have occurred anywhere in the "chain of command," so testing the HDD where they currently reside is more of a maintenance, covering-all-your-bases, ensuring-drive-integrity-going-forward kind of action. It won't do anything for those existing files.

I get the same error message when converting your sample file. But the file plays fine (in foobar), as does the supposedly "unsuccessful" conversion.

To get a file that converts without error, do this:

Convert to .flac or .wav (You'll get the same error message, but a file will be created. If using .flac, write to a different location so as to avoid overwriting your original files)
Convert the new .wav or .flac files to .alac

alex2407
06-09-2015, 05:02 PM
Have these files been moved around and copied much? If you're anything like me, files tend to get moved from drive-to-drive-to-drive over the years. If they've been moved/copied from the original rips, the corruption could have occurred anywhere in the "chain of command," so testing the HDD where they currently reside is more of a maintenance, covering-all-your-bases, ensuring-drive-integrity-going-forward kind of action. It won't do anything for those existing files.

I get the same error message when converting your sample file. But the file plays fine (in foobar), as does the supposedly "unsuccessful" conversion.

To get a file that converts without error, do this:

Convert to .flac or .wav (You'll get the same error message, but a file will be created. If using .flac, write to a different location so as to avoid overwriting your original files)
Convert the new .wav or .flac files to .alac

So does this mean that the actual sound wave is damaged or only the container ?

BrodyBoy
06-09-2015, 05:11 PM
So does this mean that the actual sound wave is damaged or only the container ?
I think it's a "technical" corruption, and the audio data itself is fine. All versions that I tried, your original flac file and all conversions I made, play through just fine without errors in the audio.

BrodyBoy
06-09-2015, 05:57 PM
To elaborate and confirm, the re-re-converted .alac file passes PerfectTunes testing as "Accurate."

alex2407
06-09-2015, 05:59 PM
I think it's a "technical" corruption, and the audio data itself is fine. All versions that I tried, your original flac file and all conversions I made, play through just fine without errors in the audio.
Tried doing so however there is a caveat. XLD reports AccurateRip as no, however, PerfectTUNES says it is AccurateRip. I guess I will simply re-rip CDs then.

Spoon
06-09-2015, 06:01 PM
PerfectTUNES will use the ID Tag to quickly verify, unless you tell it not to.

If your source files are flac, then converting to 'Test Conversion' will show all corrupted files.

BrodyBoy
06-09-2015, 06:04 PM
Tried doing so however there is a caveat. XLD reports AccurateRip as no, however, PerfectTUNES says it is AccurateRip. I guess I will simply re-rip CDs then.
Oh, I somehow got the impression you didn't have that option! If you're just talking about four files and you have the original CD....yes, by all means, just re-rip those files.