PDA

View Full Version : Forum upgrade to gamma 3

Razgo
12-06-2003, 06:48 AM
yes there are lot's of cganges and still more to come when the first RC of vbulletin is out. should be soon. and the look will change again as the final vbulletin style isn't out yet.

anyhow i haven't worked out everything yet either. i'm trying to figure out how to get the who's online to show on the index page.

and maybe the instant email notification bug is now fixed too. also check your user control panel for all the changes.

Razgo
12-06-2003, 07:48 AM
i had to revert the templates to get a few things working again. so links at the top are gone and the footer also.

also added an option to change style/color of forum down the bottom left is a drop down menu option.

MasterOfPuppets
12-06-2003, 09:29 AM
I liked the old forum, the one we had before the last upgrade, a lot better (I'm pretty sure board.afireinside.net has the same version as the one I'm talking about). I guess theres just a few aesthetic differences, such as its not as wide etc.; I'm sure I'll get used to it in due time though.

RossRoy
12-06-2003, 10:08 AM
The only gripe I have so far is really just the absence of a link to go back to the topic listing of the forum at the bottom of the page. It's really a big hassle to have to scroll back to the top of the page to go back to the topics listing. Or if it's there, can somebody point it to me, I must be blind or something!

donny
12-06-2003, 04:28 PM
I have to say it does looks nice, and you definitely can't miss the change:)
It will take a little while to get used too, and probably to customize a few things, but I guess in time it will all come to place...

Razgo
12-06-2003, 05:09 PM
yes topic listing should not have gone. i will see how to get it back. and width of the forum should be easy to adjust.

Spoon
12-06-2003, 07:21 PM
I would settle for my Spoon picture back :)

Razgo
12-06-2003, 07:33 PM
yes i have noticed my avatar went missing too. just looking into that now.

there are also instructions for putting our avatar/username back on the left/verticle instead of this new horizontal rule.

i will look at that also.

Razgo
12-06-2003, 07:45 PM
ok avatars are back again. this is not the final colors according to vbulletin so i will wait for the next release before we panick to much about these colors.

they are very busy over there at the moment since this release :D , so things should sort themselves out over the next couple of days.

but do post any errors and or things that might be missing so i can make notes.

i think the width issue is now ok?

Razgo
12-06-2003, 08:28 PM
ok i got the username bit on the left again but um it looks a bit large.

or is the new way of it being horizontal ok?

Razgo
12-06-2003, 09:08 PM
i asked over at vbulletin about the missing link that gets you back to the thread and they said they removed it and may not come back in the final release. just witing to see what i need to put back in the code to make it re appear now.

now why would you remove such a usefull feature? i use it all the time on all vbulletin forums as i am sure many others do to. so i would say many would ask for this to be put back in by default.

MasterOfPuppets
12-06-2003, 09:17 PM
ok i got the username bit on the left again but um it looks a bit large.

or is the new way of it being horizontal ok?

Definitely better this way, I like this already.

MasterOfPuppets
12-07-2003, 02:16 PM
Looking over the forums actually, some of them are in a different format, like:

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10 and http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12.

Interesting.

Logging out changes this. I've been playing with the Quick Style Chooser. Is there a way to reset that?

On a side note: I gladfully accept my invitation to the dBpowerAMP Club! This calls for a feast!

Razgo
12-07-2003, 05:24 PM
yeh i couldn't get the other style to be consistant either.

if you go back to the original style it comes back? perhaps clear your browser cache too.

Razgo
12-08-2003, 08:32 AM
and welcome to our 4th dBpowerAMP Club member :thumbup:

donny
12-08-2003, 07:26 PM
I would say the this position of the names and avatars is definetly better - somehow the text is more fluid to read - and you can just take a look at the left to see who wrote it. The horizonatal layout kinda interupts the flow of the text...

donny
12-08-2003, 07:31 PM
I have just noticed that the tooltips in the forums listings don't show the post contets anymore. It used to show the begging of every post when you hovered over the post title...

Razgo
12-08-2003, 07:41 PM
it shows for me.

RossRoy
12-08-2003, 10:08 PM
it shows for me too, but the odd thing is it shows after I click on the link and the thread has loaded into the browser. I'm using Mozilla Firebird 0.7

MasterOfPuppets
12-09-2003, 03:44 PM
Opera doesn't show, but I just tried IE and it does. Interesting, it's always been working with Opera so far.

donny
12-09-2003, 04:43 PM
I'm using Opera too - and I used it before also - I guess it is somekind of a script change not supported in Opera... interesting

MasterOfPuppets
12-09-2003, 04:54 PM
donny, or any Opera user, do you notice this?
Don't hover your mouse over the link to the topic, there is a very thin blue line seperating each thread from the next, hover your mouse over that line and the post summary will appear in the status bar in the bottom, and then pop up after a second or two.
I'm using the wide style so it might be different with the other one.

donny
12-09-2003, 05:18 PM
No I can't find the thin blue line ( although you have to say it sounds interesting :))

MasterOfPuppets
12-09-2003, 05:46 PM
Correction: it's gray. Here, as an example, go http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19 and run your mouse down the center of the page and look at the status bar, it should flicker with each topic.

Razgo
12-09-2003, 07:47 PM
yes there has been several reports of different browsers not seeing the forum correctly over at vbulletin.com support forums.

one person even said firebird wasn't behaving well with it.

for me firebird is ok and IE6, but as said in opera it doesn't show the info pop up over the thread.

so i guess this should resolve in the next release.

donny
12-11-2003, 04:43 PM
OK now I've found the line with the thread contents... interesting - I guess it is just the way Opera decodes stuff -and yes they will probably fix it - Opera is popular enough I think...:)

kweller
12-15-2003, 03:56 PM
yes there are lot's of changes,,,

Nice job.

Kevin

Razgo
02-09-2004, 03:38 PM
The only gripe I have so far is really just the absence of a link to go back to the topic listing of the forum at the bottom of the page.

take another look :D

it's not exactly the way it was but maybe even better now? you have no idea what i have gone through to try and get this back! only took me 2 months :o

RossRoy
02-09-2004, 07:42 PM
Sweet! Can't believe they had removed it!

Razgo
02-09-2004, 08:33 PM
well i put it in the suggestion que for the final gold release. but if they don't, thats ok because it was easy to fix once someone told me how to. :komisch12

donny
02-10-2004, 05:01 AM
you call 2 months easy :)
Yeah it looks cool, and the browseing is faster now 'cause of it ;)

Razgo
02-10-2004, 05:13 AM
lol, it's like cleaning the car, it always makes it go faster :D

RossRoy
02-10-2004, 05:16 AM
lol, it's like cleaning the car, it always makes it go faster :D

Don't know about cleaning the car, but changing oil does :D