PDA

View Full Version : Tag Update & File Modified Dates

Late2DM
04-10-2015, 12:40 PM
Under what circumstances are file modification dates reset when ID tags are changed?
-- If I use the explorer extension to update tags (any, but specifically import folder.jpg) the file's modification date is changed.
-- If I use the batch converter to import folder.jpg the modification date does NOT change. I don't know the impact of using any of the many other DSPs.
-- If I use the dMC scripting DLL to modify tags (say removing "(Disc x)" from album names and adding the "Disc" tag) the modification dates change.

What are the rules that are in place? A reasonable (but perhaps overly simplistic) expectation is -- any change to the file should impact the modification date.

Spoon
04-15-2015, 04:10 AM
>-- If I use the batch converter to import folder.jpg the modification date does NOT change.

Using ID Tag update?

Late2DM
04-15-2015, 10:39 AM
Yes, using the ID Tag.
Is there another way to accomplish the import using the features of the Batch Converter?

Late2DM
03-29-2017, 11:49 AM
(Almost exactly) 2 years on (release 6.1) and this problem ]still[/B] exists.
This is true even though the file size changes as a result of the import.
It appears to also be true for the [Replay Gain] process -- no change to the modified timestamp.
Is this not considered a bug?!
Why is this important...? I use dBpoweramp to maintain my extensive digital library. Since I have a great deal of money, time & energy invested in that library I back up that library, a process that relies on the modified timestamp to determine if the current version of a file is different than the existing backup and should thus replace the backup copy.

I know you back up your code base...and I am certain you would not tolerate any process that allowed a single byte of that base to be modified in such a way that the change would go undetected and be ignored by your backup procedure.
Really disappointed to find this condition still exists...but if there is some overriding consideration that makes this a "feature" rather than a bug I stand ready to be enlightened.

Spoon
03-29-2017, 04:25 PM
For replaygain utility codec >> Advanced and uncheck 'preserve date modified file time'

Late2DM
03-29-2017, 04:53 PM
For replaygain utility codec >> Advanced and uncheck 'preserve date modified file time'

Okay, thanks for that tip. I'll make a note if it.
But...is that the end of the response to the concern I raised?
Does any modification to any file performed by the batch [Id Tag Update] change the file modification timestamp? If not, why not?
Since I know that "Import from: folder.jpg" does not update the timestamp, what is the argument for that as a reasonable outcome?
Please.....

Spoon
03-30-2017, 02:59 AM
We will update update ID tag with an option in due course.

Late2DM
03-30-2017, 12:24 PM
We will update update ID tag with an option in due course.

Okay...I'll desist.
No disrespect, but I hope you'll understand my skepticism. After all I did raise this as a potential issue 2 years ago and was essentially disregarded.
Kind regards.
</EOT>