PDA

View Full Version : Lots of X AR (18) Errors

naimconvert
03-17-2015, 12:20 PM
I am finding that with many of my CD I am getting this error code. I have turned the C2 pointer off and its not made much difference. Does this code mean the track will not play when I stream it from the NAS to my Akurate DS? I cannot see any scratches on the CD's. Do you think its could be my CD drive?

Spoon
03-17-2015, 03:10 PM
It is a single track on the disc? last track?

naimconvert
03-17-2015, 05:12 PM
No random. It does seem to be happening a quite a number of cd's. When I look at the disc I cannot see any obvious scratches or marks.
Is the insecure rip still a playable file on the streaming device? Will I hear the fault?

garym
03-17-2015, 07:42 PM
No random. It does seem to be happening a quite a number of cd's. When I look at the disc I cannot see any obvious scratches or marks.
Is the insecure rip still a playable file on the streaming device? Will I hear the fault?

your error message seems to be saying there is an error in the rip and it doesn't match another 18 rips reported in the AR database. This seems very odd as it is highly improbable that every disk you try to rip has exactly 18 matches in AR database.

With regard to playable. I've had CDs rip with error and with warning and in both cases I could play the file and heard not a single problem. In other cases, I did hear a problem in a portion of a song. So you just have to try. Sometimes "repair" in cuetools can repair the error in a rip if it is contained in the cuetools database.

naimconvert
03-18-2015, 03:15 AM
I must admit that sometimes the number after the AR does change.

garym
03-18-2015, 06:12 AM
I must admit that sometimes the number after the AR does change.

OK. That makes much more sense. Your being told that your rip doesn't match the rip reported in the AR database (with the number in parentheses). That sometimes happens, but shouldn't typically happen a lot. By the way, not seeing scratches, etc. is not really relevant. Most of the time I have errors ripping a CD, the CD is brand new, first time out of package is to RIP, and there is no visible damage. I do often find that trying to rip the CD on a different drive can make a difference. I don't fully understand the technical info, but different CD/DVD drives can be very different in error recovery, reading CD, etc. Even a $10 CD drive may do a better job of ripping *some* CDs than a much higher quality CD/DVD drive. You should consider having a couple of different drives you can use, even if one is connected via USB or eSata.