PDA

View Full Version : Tanscoding: Yet Another File & Folder Structure Naming Pattern Question

dbcamp
02-19-2015, 10:33 AM
Hello everybody,

I must have read 'most all the forum posts on naming patterns, but after many hours of reading and experimenting, I am still at a loss as how to do what I need to do, and I could really use your help:

I wish to trans-code my lossless archive to a lossy format. Both formats are to occupy the same drive, though each a different folder. If I should specify the new folder into which the newly trans-coded files must go, and use the Dynamic naming convention [origpath]\[origfilename], expectedly, the entire original folder structure is recreated in this specified folder. Instead, I am hoping to avoid this from happening, perhaps by being able to mirror my original stored format, using a custom folder depth, or, folder tree, from thereon to mirror the original? I would also hope to avoid using the original music file tags to perform this- if it all possible.

I do hope I have expressed myself well enough to make sense. Could you assist me, please?

Thank you.

Spoon
02-19-2015, 10:59 AM
Give an example full filename of a source file, and example destination, including path.

dbcamp
02-19-2015, 12:28 PM
E:\MUSIC\FLAC\CD\*\*... to E:\MUSIC\MP3\V0\CD\*\*...

E:\MUSIC\FLAC\LP\*\*... to E:\MUSIC\MP3\V0\LP\*\*...

E:\MUSIC\FLAC\TP\*\*... to E:\MUSIC\MP3\V0\TP\*\*...

E:\MUSIC\FLAC\UN\*\*... to E:\MUSIC\MP3\V0\UN\*\*...

The * represents the original tree (as deep as it goes) that needs to be mirrored.

[Edit] Example: full source filename: E:\MUSIC\FLAC\TP\Ottawan\Ottawan 2\06. It's A Top Secret.flac (Note: different file naming styles exists)

Spoon
02-19-2015, 04:40 PM
[TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][origpath][][]\[origfilename]

dbcamp
02-20-2015, 02:24 AM
[TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][origpath][][]\[origfilename]

Spoon, thank you and thank you. :). Your example work splendidly.

I surely would now like to figure out, and try, some variations on my own. Where do I start to learn the very basics? Your recommendation to a few resources is highly appreciated.

Thanks again- I am a happy dBpoweramper in more ways than one.

Spoon
02-20-2015, 04:18 AM
https://dbpoweramp.com/Help/dMC/Naming.htm

dbcamp
02-20-2015, 05:11 AM
https://dbpoweramp.com/Help/dMC/Naming.htm

:cool:, I'm sorry, I should've looked in the HELP file first.

My first huge batch have run successfully, with only two errors reported out of more than a thousand files- both of which were fixed on a second run.

Have a nice weekend.

[Edit]

[TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][origpath][][]\[origfilename]: Would it not be beneficial to add an application option to replace the first part of the string (i.e. *.*\[origfilename]) with a simple user ("browse") choice of the desired output folder?

BrodyBoy
02-21-2015, 02:33 PM
[Edit]

[TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][origpath][][]\[origfilename]: Would it not be beneficial to add an application option to replace the first part of the string (i.e. *.*\[origfilename]) with a simple user ("browse") choice of the desired output folder?
You can set the output folder to wherever and whatever you want....is that what you mean?

dbcamp
02-21-2015, 05:40 PM
You can set the output folder to wherever and whatever you want....is that what you mean?

Hi BrodyBoy

Yes, to wherever I want. I am not sure what you mean by whatever, though?

BrodyBoy
02-22-2015, 03:37 AM
Hi BrodyBoy

Yes, to wherever I want. I am not sure what you mean by whatever, though?
In your first post, you seemed to indicate that you don't want simply re-create the folder structure of your lossless source files:

.....the entire original folder structure is recreated in this specified folder. Instead, I am hoping to avoid this from happening, perhaps by being able to mirror my original stored format, using a custom folder depth, or, folder tree, from thereon to mirror the original? I would also hope to avoid using the original music file tags to perform this- if it all possible.

I just meant that you can use dynamic naming to customize the folder/file structure however you want, that you're not limited to using [origpath] and/or [origfilename]. You can set the PATH to whatever location is common to all the rips....for example, "E:\Music\MP3\V0" or whatever....and then use a naming string, which can be constructed of both static elements and tag variables, to specify the folder organization and the filename format.

What I don't really understand is the second part of your question above. After saying you don't want to recreate the original folder structure, you suggest you want to "mirror" it?.....I guess I don't understand the distinction. Nor do I understand why you want to avoid using the original music tags in this effort, or how you'd do that, as the tags comprise the basic data that identifies the files.

dbcamp
02-22-2015, 05:23 AM
In your first post, you seemed to indicate that you don't want simply re-create the folder structure of your lossless source files:

I just meant that you can use dynamic naming to customize the folder/file structure however you want, that you're not limited to using [origpath] and/or [origfilename]. You can set the PATH to whatever location is common to all the rips....for example, "E:\Music\MP3\V0" or whatever....and then use a naming string, which can be constructed of both static elements and tag variables, to specify the folder organization and the filename format.

What I don't really understand is the second part of your question above. After saying you don't want to recreate the original folder structure, you suggest you want to "mirror" it?.....I guess I don't understand the distinction. Nor do I understand why you want to avoid using the original music tags in this effort, or how you'd do that, as the tags comprise the basic data that identifies the files.

BrodyBoy, please accept my apology for the confusion. My native language is not English, and sometimes I do struggle to express myself clearly- especially on matters technical. In the end, what matters is that we all can do what we wish to do when engaging the Output Location. The flexibility of the Dynamic option is really just awesome, and I venture that it covers 'most everything it needs to. I am not criticizing at all, more lamenting the fact that there is not an "easier way" out (read: avoid having to learn new "scripts"/"regex"/etc.) for the unskilled like me. It is quite easy to "unlearn" the numerous naming formats, and often I have to refer back to the original, which I find a bit of a process.

Thanks.

BrodyBoy
02-22-2015, 12:59 PM
No problem, and no need for apology. :)

I do understand your point about learning new "scripts" and such. It seems every program has its own little system and it gets hard to keep them all straight. But having said that, the naming strings in dBp really aren't complicated....they're basically just strings of tags...and the nice thing is that, once you get it set up the way you want, you probably won't have to bother with it again.

Like you said, the flexibility of the dynamic naming option in dBp is awesome....one of its most useful and powerful tools. There are many users around here who are happy to help you with it anytime, so don't hesitate to ask whenever you have questions. :)

dbcamp
02-22-2015, 01:54 PM
No problem, and no need for apology. :)

I do understand your point about learning new "scripts" and such. It seems every program has its own little system and it gets hard to keep them all straight. But having said that, the naming strings in dBp really aren't complicated....they're basically just strings of tags...and the nice thing is that, once you get it set up the way you want, you probably won't have to bother with it again.

Like you said, the flexibility of the dynamic naming option in dBp is awesome....one of its most useful and powerful tools. There are many users around here who are happy to help you with it anytime, so don't hesitate to ask whenever you have questions. :)

Thanks, BrodyBoy.

You know, just now I mass-converted a set of folders- and missed the output directory by a mile. I like my files well-organized and don't fool around with them too often- this is the first time in c. 15 years I am re-organizing my music files. Before filing them away in their respective directories, I keep the ones I am currently working on (renaming, tagging, etc.) in a Work-in-Progress (WIP) folder. It's from this WIP-folder that I tried to file away my FLAC-MP3 conversion in its usual place- instead of filing the FLAC away in its usual place first and then convert. Hence I missed the target folder as I'd clean forgotten to replace the appropriate tag string. That's when I would've preferred a point-and-shoot option.

For interest sake, see the snapshot below of how the renaming is being handled by another app.

Enjoy what's left of your weekend. :)

BrodyBoy
02-22-2015, 05:59 PM
Thanks, BrodyBoy.

You know, just now I mass-converted a set of folders- and missed the output directory by a mile. I like my files well-organized and don't fool around with them too often- this is the first time in c. 15 years I am re-organizing my music files. Before filing them away in their respective directories, I keep the ones I am currently working on (renaming, tagging, etc.) in a Work-in-Progress (WIP) folder. It's from this WIP-folder that I tried to file away my FLAC-MP3 conversion in its usual place- instead of filing the FLAC away in its usual place first and then convert. Hence I missed the target folder as I'd clean forgotten to replace the appropriate tag string. That's when I would've preferred a point-and-shoot option.

For interest sake, see the snapshot below of how the renaming is being handled by another app.

Enjoy what's left of your weekend. :)
I get that it's frustrating to have made that mistake with a large batch of files. But.....not to put too fine a point on it ;)....your oversight isn't really a fault of the program itself, which easily accommodates changes to the path, folder structure, and filenames.

It's always good practice, when working with a large music library, to test any kind of processing on a smaller batch before running it on the whole thing.

dbcamp
02-23-2015, 02:11 AM
I get that it's frustrating to have made that mistake with a large batch of files. But.....not to put too fine a point on it ;)....your oversight isn't really a fault of the program itself, which easily accommodates changes to the path, folder structure, and filenames.

It's always good practice, when working with a large music library, to test any kind of processing on a smaller batch before running it on the whole thing.

I absolutely realize that, yes- I am not blaming dBp at all for my own folly. :). I apply too, as a matter of course, the prescribed best practice of doing a test run before applying a rule on a huge batch of files. This time around I was too eager to get the conversion rolling, and ignored the pre-checks at my peril. Fortunately, I caught it early enough and it only cost me an hour or so in time- and a cut in self-confidence. :)

I love this app.

Cheers!

GeekEmeritus
04-03-2015, 03:48 PM
Is there an option that allows elements such as "Batch ID" or "Batch Name" from the batch ripper main screen to be added to the file/folder names?

BrodyBoy
04-03-2015, 04:32 PM
Is there an option that allows elements such as "Batch ID" or "Batch Name" from the batch ripper main screen to be added to the file/folder names?
Where are you seeing those elements?

Spoon
04-03-2015, 04:46 PM
Batch Ripper has those tag values, but Batch Converter does not.