PDA

View Full Version : Says my user account doesn't have deletion privileges

maclarson
01-29-2015, 01:09 AM
I have a listing of all my duplicates but it says I may have to manually delete since my user account doesn't have deletion privileges. what does this mean? It would be extremely cumbersome to go to each file to delete.

Spoon
01-29-2015, 03:53 AM
It means that PerfectTUNES wants to delete the file, but settings on your system stop it. These settings are likely access permissions, especially if the files are on a NAS.

maclarson
01-29-2015, 01:29 PM
I'm not sure what NAS is an abbreviation for. I have a new flash hard drive but all my music is stored on my old hard drive. I did include it in the de-dup process and I have hundreds of dups. If it is just changing a setting I have a computer guy who could walk me through it.

Spoon
01-29-2015, 05:08 PM
The old HDD will not have write access for the new computer, try copying the files to your new HDD, then run PerfectTUNEs on the new HDD.

maclarson
01-29-2015, 07:17 PM
I can't copy the music files because they are too large which is why I still have them on my old HD but it is an internal drive and I can save to it or delete from it just like my main HD.

Spoon
01-30-2015, 03:08 AM
Ask your computer guy to set the permissions on the old HDD and check the files are not read only.

maclarson
01-31-2015, 11:22 PM
It turns out that once I acknowledge the message that it can't be deleted it then shows that it is deleted. So everything appears to be working fine except each time I have to click on that message before it says it is deleted so it is one more step and I have a lot of dups.

maclarson
02-01-2015, 08:28 AM
Even though the program says deleted on the dup listing when I open up the program again it is still there so I can deleted the file but only by clicking on the file, going to the location and deleting it.

Spoon
02-01-2015, 10:41 AM
Try right click on PerfectTUNES >> Run as Administrator

maclarson
02-01-2015, 03:18 PM
Thank you so much. That was the issue. I would never have figured that out on my own. I hadn't been able to find anything like a comprehensive user's manual.

tuneup
08-21-2015, 07:36 PM
I am getting the same error message about not having deletion privileges. Running as administrator didn't work for me. I checked permissions on my music folders for both myself and administrator as users and both have full permissions checked, including deletion. I can't reach my IT guy as he is out of town. Spoon, do you have any further advice?

Spoon
08-22-2015, 04:42 AM
The files are on a nas? or local?

tuneup
08-22-2015, 07:29 PM
On this test run, they are local. I don't want to try the much larger NAS files until I can get it to work on a smaller quantity.

Spoon
08-23-2015, 04:43 AM
There is nothing any program can do to get more access privileges, the deletion is a simple one function call with no other access rights, either the program is allowed to delete the files or it is not, if not it is Windows Access control which decides.

tuneup
08-23-2015, 05:04 AM
I will relay what you said to my IT guy. In case it is relevant, I can delete songs or albums when I go directly to the music folder, either on the laptop or the NAS. So the questions is why Windows allows it there, but not through PerfecTUNES De-Dup.

mville
08-23-2015, 07:33 AM
I will relay what you said to my IT guy. In case it is relevant, I can delete songs or albums when I go directly to the music folder, either on the laptop or the NAS. So the questions is why Windows allows it there, but not through PerfecTUNES De-Dup.

Are you running any anti-virus/security software? Maybe this is interfering with PerfecTUNES.