PDA

View Full Version : Bug in Read Metadata DSP

dcn
01-24-2015, 06:35 AM
Hello,

I believe I have found a bug in the Read Metadata DSP of the Batch Converter (R14).

There's a song with title "Cosmic Ascension (feat. DJ Jörg)".
I'm having trouble with the character "ö".

dbPoweramp
When I enter this metadata in dbPoweramp, through Write Metadata DSP, it writes a .xml file containing literally the character "ö".

Batch Converter
However, when I use that .xml file as input for Read Metadata DSP of Batch Converter, no metadata is written to the output file.

When I change the character "ö" to "ö", it does not write the metadata to the output file.
When I change the character "ö" to "o", it does write the metadata to the output file.
Could it be that special characters like that aren't handled the same way?

What I am doing is archiving my music in .wav format and keeping the metadata in a .xml file.
The reason is that not all programs (read iTunes) seem to be able to read embedded metadata from a .wav file.

Thanks in advance for having a look,

Dominic

P.S. Example metadata file in attachment 454

daren
01-25-2015, 05:55 AM
Hi Dominic,

I'm trying to reproduce your issue. Can you tell me which version of the DSP effects package you have installed? You can find the DSP effects version number in the dBpoweramp configuration program, under the "versions" tab.

Best regards,
Daren.

dcn
01-26-2015, 11:20 AM
Hello Daren,

Thanks for your reply.

The DSP effects package I have installed is Release 9.

Kind regards,

Dominic

daren
01-26-2015, 02:22 PM
Hi Dominic,

The XML writer DSP writes UTF-8 files, but your example file is not UTF-8. In UTF-8, the "ö" character is made up of two bytes (when viewed in a hex editor) "C3 B6", in the example it is just one byte. The DSP also writes lots of other data to the output file, which is not in your example.

Are you using an XSLT to translate the output data? If so, could you try and run the write and read process without the XSLT?

If not, it might be worth upgrading your installation to R15 to get the very latest versions of the XML read/write DSP's.

Best regards,
Daren.

dcn
01-27-2015, 12:48 PM
Hello Daren,

Indeed I modified the output file (with notepad, not XSLT) to move the IDTags from ConvertedFile to SourceFile.
It never occurred to me that data might get lost this way.

As you suggested, I've rerun my flow doing only metadata DSP - and paying attention to the encoding this time.
It works :-)

Now I feel like a proper idiot having started a thread called "Bug" when that is clearly not the case... serves me right I suppose.
Please accept my apologies; and thank you very much for your assistance.

Kind regards,

Dominic

daren
01-27-2015, 03:01 PM
No problem Dominic, happy to help!