PDA

View Full Version : FLAC Encoding 0-8 Compression

mrcd
01-12-2015, 06:35 PM
Hello,

Regarding FLAC, if there's no difference in quality using 0-8 compression levels then what's the difference? If it just takes less encoding time using 0 and more using 8 and it's all lossless what's the difference? Something to do with error checking? What's the advantage? Output is the same right?

garym
01-12-2015, 07:04 PM
Hello,

Regarding FLAC, if there's no difference in quality using 0-8 compression levels then what's the difference? If it just takes less encoding time using 0 and more using 8 and it's all lossless what's the difference? Something to do with error checking? What's the advantage? Output is the same right?

decoded output file is the same, remember lossless=lossless=lossless! An "8" compression saves more space (slightly smaller files). But the difference is not large in terms of file size space saving. It takes LONGER to compress at 8 vs 0 as you note, but with modern CPUs this is not a major issue either. Error checking, etc. is the same regardless of compression level. So bottom line, there really is no practical difference.

d2b
02-06-2015, 08:33 PM
Doesn't "0" compression level mean no compression at all, i.e., a pure PCM file in a FLAC container? If that's the case, the file size would likely be about twice that of a file compressed at level 5. My recommendation: Use the default value of "5" and don't worry about it. I think it will take longer to compress at level 8 and the gains realized are insignificant.

Dennis..aka "d2b"

Spoon
02-07-2015, 05:28 AM
No 0 is still compressed, it is the special 'uncompressed' option that is uncompressed.