PDA

View Full Version : Strange 'input loss'

Unregistered
06-02-2002, 10:19 AM
Using the latest dMC, win2kSP2.

I was ripping albums to ogg, using VBR 256. My first album ripped fine. Whilst it was ripping, I downloaded and installed winamp, and then downloaded and installed an ogg plugin for winamp, and listened to the already done tracks... nice.

It finished, I ejected the CD, inserted the next one. It picked up the track names, and I carried on. I did this for the next 3 CDs.

It was only when I finished, that I noticed that all the albums, except for the first one, had ogg sizes of ~30k !!!

I tried to rip one again, and it did the same... takes as long as usual, but gave me a tiny file, as if there was no sound being encoded.

In the end I rebooted my machine, and it's now working fine again.... Very strange, and I have yet to reproduce it, but thought it may be useful to know about.

MODatic
06-03-2002, 02:55 AM
Did you reboot previously or was that the first time you rebooted and that fixed your prob?

Just goes to show that rebooting is recommended after installs, if only Windows was like Linux, we wouldn't need to reboot even 1/10 of the times we do now...

Thanks for the info ;)

totalXSive
06-03-2002, 04:32 AM
I've found that I don't have to reboot as much in Windows XP (I can usually manage a week without rebooting), but I agree, Linux is much better in that field. That's probably why most servers are Linux-based.