PDA

View Full Version : Ripped CD-Rs - What exactly does "Secure" mean?

Max Dread
12-18-2014, 05:28 PM
Hi all

A little while ago I ripped a CD-R which was showing in AccurateRip. 13 of the tracks ripped fine and were Accurate/Confident. The last track did not. But it did rip "securely".

Here's the log for that last track:

Track 14: Ripped LBA 273452 to 321747 (10:43) in 0:33. Filename: J:\_FLAC\Bob Dylan\[1966] Blonde on Blonde\Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde - 14 - Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands.IGNORE
Secure [Pass 1, Ultra 1 to 1]
CRC32: D446E3D4 AccurateRip CRC: 81A36D62 (CRCv2) [DiscID: 014-00232eaf-0176a896-d710c10e-14]

--------------

14 Tracks Ripped: 13 Accurate, 1 Secure

On playback the last track is awful. It skips glitches and is generally all over the place.

I wondered if someone could please explain what "Secure" means in the context of this rip? I have a lot of CD-Rs to rip in the future and would like to understand as best I can what the results are telling me (without having to listen back to each rip for errors).

Many thanks

Max

Spoon
12-18-2014, 05:40 PM
It means that this CD-R matches a commercial CD (unless someone else has ripped this commercial cd and submitted it to accuraterip), except for the last track which is different to the commercial CD. Secure means the rip was verified only using the cd drive, not accuraterip.

garym
12-18-2014, 06:00 PM
secure means for example that the ripper rips the CD track, rips it again, compares the two rips (in terms of CRCs) and maybe even rips again and compares. When it gets repeated matching CRCs, it is "secure". But that just means that the rip is consistent. It is NOT comparing to other people's rips of the same CD (as with AccurateRip). This said, "secure" usually means that the rip is perfectly fine. But in your case, the rip seems perfect, but the underlying track sounds like it is bad (you have a perfect rip of a bad track). What happens when you play the CD-R on a CD player? Does it sound good or does it also have the bad sound?

Max Dread
12-18-2014, 06:47 PM
Thanks guys, I think that all makes sense.

Unfortunately I no longer have the CD-R so I cannot test how it would sound when played back.

So basically, if a disc (which is not in AR) has fundamental flaws, and those flaws produce the same CRC result, then it will be classed as "Secure" even though it glitches like crazy and skips and jumps about.

Is there any way around that? If DBPA cannot tell you that the rip is going to sound terrible, are there any other programs that will?

Cheers

garym
12-18-2014, 08:30 PM
Is there any way around that? If DBPA cannot tell you that the rip is going to sound terrible, are there any other programs that will?

Cheers

no. A good ripper can tell if it pulled the zeros and ones off the disc in a consistent way. That's all. Checking against other rips (accuraterip) is even better. But if the underlying disc is damaged or it was a bad copy with embedded errors, there is nothing the ripper can do. Unfortunately I've seen a lot of that from old cd-r discs, particularly those created years ago when the cd burning software wasn't great at checking for or reporting problems when writing to the cd-r.

Max Dread
12-19-2014, 04:09 AM
Guys, that's made everything clear and answered my questions fantastically.

Many thanks.