PDA

View Full Version : Conversion Error while trying to change RG tags (FLAC --> FLAC)

Eleven13
12-13-2014, 04:23 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm in the process of trying to change my replay gain tags from -23 to -18. It seems like it should be a really easy process, but for some reason I'm getting some errors.

I did a test run on my first 3 artists and everything went well except for a few tracks from two albums. After the conversion was done, an error box came up and it said:

"Error converting to FLAC, 'E:\Music\A Perfect Circle\Mer de Noms\10 A Perfect Circle - Thinking of You.flac' to 'E:\Music -18\A Perfect Circle\Mer de Noms\10 A Perfect Circle - Thinking of You.flac'
Encountered 'FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_READ_METADATA' in FLAC File 'E:\Music\A Perfect Circle\Mer de Noms\10 A Perfect Circle - Thinking of You.flac'
Encountered 'FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_READ_METADATA' in FLAC File 'E:\Music\A Perfect Circle\Mer de Noms\10 A Perfect Circle - Thinking of You.flac'

Error converting to FLAC, 'E:\Music\A Perfect Circle\Thirteenth Step\01 A Perfect Circle - The Package.flac' to 'E:\Music -18\A Perfect Circle\Thirteenth Step\01 A Perfect Circle - The Package.flac'
Encountered 'FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_READ_FRAME' in FLAC File 'E:\Music\A Perfect Circle\Thirteenth Step\01 A Perfect Circle - The Package.flac'
Encountered 'FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_READ_METADATA' in FLAC File 'E:\Music\A Perfect Circle\Thirteenth Step\01 A Perfect Circle - The Package.flac'
Encountered 'FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_READ_METADATA' in FLAC File 'E:\Music\A Perfect Circle\Thirteenth Step\01 A Perfect Circle - The Package.flac'

Error converting to FLAC, 'E:\Music\A Perfect Circle\Mer de Noms\06 A Perfect Circle - 3 Libras.flac' to 'E:\Music -18\A Perfect Circle\Mer de Noms\06 A Perfect Circle - 3 Libras.flac'
Encountered 'FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_READ_METADATA' in FLAC File 'E:\Music\A Perfect Circle\Mer de Noms\06 A Perfect Circle - 3 Libras.flac'
Encountered 'FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_READ_METADATA' in FLAC File 'E:\Music\A Perfect Circle\Mer de Noms\06 A Perfect Circle - 3 Libras.flac'

Error converting to FLAC, 'E:\Music\A Perfect Circle\Thirteenth Step\09 A Perfect Circle - The Nurse Who Loved Me.flac' to 'E:\Music -18\A Perfect Circle\Thirteenth Step\09 A Perfect Circle - The Nurse Who Loved Me.flac'
Encountered 'FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_READ_METADATA' in FLAC File 'E:\Music\A Perfect Circle\Thirteenth Step\09 A Perfect Circle - The Nurse Who Loved Me.flac'
Encountered 'FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_READ_METADATA' in FLAC File 'E:\Music\A Perfect Circle\Thirteenth Step\09 A Perfect Circle - The Nurse Who Loved Me.flac'
"

I'm not really sure why there would be a conversion error because these tracks were ripped accurately from the CD and are already FLAC level 5.

All I am doing is re-converting and adding the RG DSP to -18, pretty much everything else about the files are staying exactly the same.

Do you guys have any ideas as to what could be causing this problem?

Thanks!

garym
12-13-2014, 05:28 PM
Are you reconverting FLAC to FLAC and at the same time redoing the RG? Or are you just redoing the RG (without reconverting flac to flac)? You realize that you can redo all the RG tags without reconverting the flac files?

Eleven13
12-13-2014, 06:19 PM
Are you reconverting FLAC to FLAC and at the same time redoing the RG? Or are you just redoing the RG (without reconverting flac to flac)? You realize that you can redo all the RG tags without reconverting the flac files?

I actually did not realize that at all, basically what I did was open the Batch Converter, click my main music directory, clicked "convert," chose "FLAC level 5," then added the RG DSP at the bottom and set it to -18 and then hit convert.

So basically yes, I was converting FLAC to FLAC with the only difference being adding the -18 RG tag to replace the old -23 one. Do you think you could give me a quick walk through on how I could simply just change the tags without a conversion?

Thanks!

garym
12-13-2014, 06:26 PM
I actually did not realize that at all, basically what I did was open the Batch Converter, click my main music directory, clicked "convert," chose "FLAC level 5," then added the RG DSP at the bottom and set it to -18 and then hit convert.

So basically yes, I was converting FLAC to FLAC with the only difference being adding the -18 RG tag to replace the old -23 one. Do you think you could give me a quick walk through on how I could simply just change the tags without a conversion?

Thanks!

make sure you've installed the ReplayGain DSP from here under utility codecs:
http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central.htm

Then with the batch converter, select what files you want to convert and then hit the CONVERT button at upper left and select "RG [ReplayGain]" as the CODEC you are converting to (rather than FLAC). Then you'll simply be changing the RG tags in the files rather than converting the entire audio of the FLAC to a new FLAC. Much faster and no need to reconvert the FLAC files. Somewhere in this process you can see that the settings in RG are -18, track and album values, etc.

Eleven13
12-13-2014, 06:36 PM
Wow, thanks a ton I had no idea I could do that. I downloaded and installed it and it seems like it's ready to go, I just have a few more questions regarding the set up if you don't mind?

So when I click "convert," and choose the Replay Gain codec, it comes up with a drop-down menu that says "Write" and the choices are "track gain,"track and album gain" etc. Which option do I want to choose here?

Basically on my HD I have about ~150 CDs, and they are organized into E:\Music\Band\Album\Track. So ideally I'd either like to:
1. Create a new folder with that exact structure where the only difference would be that the RG tags changed from -23 to -18

or

2. Simply overwrite what I have now from -23 to -18 (though I'm sort of afraid to do this, since I don't want to risk screwing something up).

So once I choose an option for "Write" and set "advanced options" to -18, I don't have to do anything else other than point to the directory I want the files to end up and click convert?

Sorry if that was confusing, I have my music on my internal HD, backed up to an external HD, and also on an ipod w/ rockbox that is what I mainly use for listening, so I just want to change all the files to -18 on all of the HDs/ipod as painlessly as possible.

garym
12-13-2014, 06:46 PM
Wow, thanks a ton I had no idea I could do that. I downloaded and installed it and it seems like it's ready to go, I just have a few more questions regarding the set up if you don't mind?

So when I click "convert," and choose the Replay Gain codec, it comes up with a drop-down menu that says "Write" and the choices are "track gain,"track and album gain" etc. Which option do I want to choose here?

Basically on my HD I have about ~150 CDs, and they are organized into E:\Music\Band\Album\Track. So ideally I'd either like to:
1. Create a new folder with that exact structure where the only difference would be that the RG tags changed from -23 to -18

or

2. Simply overwrite what I have now from -23 to -18 (though I'm sort of afraid to do this, since I don't want to risk screwing something up).

So once I choose an option for "Write" and set "advanced options" to -18, I don't have to do anything else other than point to the directory I want the files to end up and click convert?

Sorry if that was confusing, I have my music on my internal HD, backed up to an external HD, and also on an ipod w/ rockbox that is what I mainly use for listening, so I just want to change all the files to -18 on all of the HDs/ipod as painlessly as possible.

choose write, choose "track and album gain" and then just run. It won't move things to different directories it will just overwrite the RG tags in the existing files. That's what I would do, and you do have a backup of these files anyhow should anything go wrong (which it shouldn't, but one should always have AT LEAST ONE complete backup). If' you're afraid, just do this with one album subdirectory and see what that does. so you get comfortable with it. But this is a simple thing to do. you don't really have lots of complicated options!

Eleven13
12-13-2014, 07:19 PM
Awesome, thanks a ton for your help that is so much simpler!

edit: is there a way to check the tag value manually just to make sure things worked once this is done?

Eleven13
12-13-2014, 07:43 PM
Hmm...so I ran the converter and it actually went pretty quickly, but I then got these error messages afterwards:

Error converting to [ReplayGain], 'E:\Music\A Perfect Circle\Mer de Noms\06 A Perfect Circle - 3 Libras.flac' to 'E:\Music\A Perfect Circle\Mer de Noms\06 A Perfect Circle - 3 Libras.IGNORE'

Error converting to [ReplayGain], 'E:\Music\A Perfect Circle\Mer de Noms\10 A Perfect Circle - Thinking of You.flac' to 'E:\Music\A Perfect Circle\Mer de Noms\10 A Perfect Circle - Thinking of You.IGNORE'

Error converting to [ReplayGain], 'E:\Music\A Perfect Circle\Thirteenth Step\01 A Perfect Circle - The Package.flac' to 'E:\Music\A Perfect Circle\Thirteenth Step\01 A Perfect Circle - The Package.IGNORE'
Encountered 'FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_READ_FRAME' in FLAC File 'E:\Music\A Perfect Circle\Thirteenth Step\01 A Perfect Circle - The Package.flac'

Error converting to [ReplayGain], 'E:\Music\A Perfect Circle\Thirteenth Step\09 A Perfect Circle - The Nurse Who Loved Me.flac' to 'E:\Music\A Perfect Circle\Thirteenth Step\09 A Perfect Circle - The Nurse Who Loved Me.IGNORE'

Error converting to [ReplayGain], 'E:\Music\Between the Buried and Me\Alaska\09 Between the Buried and Me - The Primer.flac' to 'E:\Music\Between the Buried and Me\Alaska\09 Between the Buried and Me - The Primer.IGNORE'
Encountered 'FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_READ_METADATA' in FLAC File 'E:\Music\Between the Buried and Me\Alaska\09 Between the Buried and Me - The Primer.flac'
Encountered 'FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_READ_METADATA' in FLAC File 'E:\Music\Between the Buried and Me\Alaska\09 Between the Buried and Me - The Primer.flac'

Error converting to [ReplayGain], 'E:\Music\Between the Buried and Me\Between the Buried and Me\04 Between the Buried and Me - What We Have Become.flac' to 'E:\Music\Between the Buried and Me\Between the Buried and Me\04 Between the Buried and Me - What We Have Become.IGNORE'
Encountered 'FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_READ_METADATA' in FLAC File 'E:\Music\Between the Buried and Me\Between the Buried and Me\04 Between the Buried and Me - What We Have Become.flac'
Encountered 'FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_READ_METADATA' in FLAC File 'E:\Music\Between the Buried and Me\Between the Buried and Me\04 Between the Buried and Me - What We Have Become.flac'

Error converting to [ReplayGain], 'E:\Music\Between the Buried and Me\Between the Buried and Me\05 Between the Buried and Me - Fire for a Dry Mouth.flac' to 'E:\Music\Between the Buried and Me\Between the Buried and Me\05 Between the Buried and Me - Fire for a Dry Mouth.IGNORE'
Encountered 'FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_READ_METADATA' in FLAC File 'E:\Music\Between the Buried and Me\Between the Buried and Me\05 Between the Buried and Me - Fire for a Dry Mouth.flac'
Encountered 'FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_READ_METADATA' in FLAC File 'E:\Music\Between the Buried and Me\Between the Buried and Me\05 Between the Buried and Me - Fire for a Dry Mouth.flac'

Error converting to [ReplayGain], 'E:\Music\Coheed and Cambria\Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One; From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness\07 Coheed and Cambria - Once Upon Your Dead Body.flac' to 'E:\Music\Coheed and Cambria\Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One; From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness\07 Coheed and Cambria - Once Upon Your Dead Body.IGNORE'
Encountered 'FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_READ_METADATA' in FLAC File 'E:\Music\Coheed and Cambria\Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One; From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness\07 Coheed and Cambria - Once Upon Your Dead Body.flac'
Encountered 'FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_READ_METADATA' in FLAC File 'E:\Music\Coheed and Cambria\Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One; From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness\07 Coheed and Cambria - Once Upon Your Dead Body.flac'
Encountered 'FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_SEARCH_FOR_FRAME_SYNC' in FLAC File 'E:\Music\Coheed and Cambria\Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One; From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness\07 Coheed and Cambria - Once Upon Your Dead Body.flac'

Error converting to [ReplayGain], 'E:\Music\Coheed and Cambria\In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth; 3\06 Coheed and Cambria - Blood Red Summer.flac' to 'E:\Music\Coheed and Cambria\In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth; 3\06 Coheed and Cambria - Blood Red Summer.IGNORE'
Encountered 'FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_SEARCH_FOR_FRAME_SYNC' in FLAC File 'E:\Music\Coheed and Cambria\In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth; 3\06 Coheed and Cambria - Blood Red Summer.flac'

Error converting to [ReplayGain], 'E:\Music\Coheed and Cambria\In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth; 3\07 Coheed and Cambria - The Camper Velourium I; Faint of Hearts.flac' to 'E:\Music\Coheed and Cambria\In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth; 3\07 Coheed and Cambria - The Camper Velourium I; Faint of Hearts.IGNORE'
Error This FLAC File is Corrupt

Error converting to [ReplayGain], 'E:\Music\Coheed and Cambria\In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth; 3\08 Coheed and Cambria - The Camper Velourium II; Backend of Forever.flac' to 'E:\Music\Coheed and Cambria\In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth; 3\08 Coheed and Cambria - The Camper Velourium II; Backend of Forever.IGNORE'

Error converting to [ReplayGain], 'E:\Music\Coheed and Cambria\In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth; 3\09 Coheed and Cambria - The Camper Velourium III; Al the Killer.flac' to 'E:\Music\Coheed and Cambria\In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth; 3\09 Coheed and Cambria - The Camper Velourium III; Al the Killer.IGNORE'

Error converting to [ReplayGain], 'E:\Music\Coheed and Cambria\In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth; 3\10 Coheed and Cambria - A Favor House Atlantic.flac' to 'E:\Music\Coheed and Cambria\In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth; 3\10 Coheed and Cambria - A Favor House Atlantic.IGNORE'

Error converting to [ReplayGain], 'E:\Music\Coheed and Cambria\In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth; 3\11 Coheed and Cambria - The Light & The Glass.flac' to 'E:\Music\Coheed and Cambria\In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth; 3\11 Coheed and Cambria - The Light & The Glass.IGNORE'
Encountered 'FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_READ_FRAME' in FLAC File 'E:\Music\Coheed and Cambria\In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth; 3\11 Coheed and Cambria - The Light & The Glass.flac'
Encountered 'FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_READ_METADATA' in FLAC File 'E:\Music\Coheed and Cambria\In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth; 3\11 Coheed and Cambria - The Light & The Glass.flac'
Encountered 'FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_READ_METADATA' in FLAC File 'E:\Music\Coheed and Cambria\In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth; 3\11 Coheed and Cambria - The Light & The Glass.flac'

Error converting to [ReplayGain], 'E:\Music\Coheed and Cambria\In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth; 3\23 Coheed and Cambria - 21;13.flac' to 'E:\Music\Coheed and Cambria\In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth; 3\23 Coheed and Cambria - 21;13.IGNORE'
Encountered 'FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_READ_METADATA' in FLAC File 'E:\Music\Coheed and Cambria\In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth; 3\23 Coheed and Cambria - 21;13.flac'

Error converting to [ReplayGain], 'E:\Music\Deftones\Around the Fur\01 Deftones - My Own Summer (Shove It).flac' to 'E:\Music\Deftones\Around the Fur\01 Deftones - My Own Summer (Shove It).IGNORE'

Error converting to [ReplayGain], 'E:\Music\Parkway Drive\Don't Close Your Eyes\11 Parkway Drive - Emotional Breakdown.flac' to 'E:\Music\Parkway Drive\Don't Close Your Eyes\11 Parkway Drive - Emotional Breakdown.IGNORE'
md5 did not match decoded data, file is corrupt.

Error converting to [ReplayGain], 'E:\Music\Parkway Drive\Killing with a Smile\10 Parkway Drive - Smoke 'Em If Ya Got 'Em.flac' to 'E:\Music\Parkway Drive\Killing with a Smile\10 Parkway Drive - Smoke 'Em If Ya Got 'Em.IGNORE'
Encountered 'FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_READ_METADATA' in FLAC File 'E:\Music\Parkway Drive\Killing with a Smile\10 Parkway Drive - Smoke 'Em If Ya Got 'Em.flac'

Error converting to [ReplayGain], 'E:\Music\Tool\Ænima\02 Tool - Eulogy.flac' to 'E:\Music\Tool\Ænima\02 Tool - Eulogy.IGNORE'
Encountered 'FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_READ_METADATA' in FLAC File 'E:\Music\Tool\Ænima\02 Tool - Eulogy.flac'

Error converting to [ReplayGain], 'E:\Music\Tool\Ænima\03 Tool - H..flac' to 'E:\Music\Tool\Ænima\03 Tool - H..IGNORE'
Encountered 'FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_READ_METADATA' in FLAC File 'E:\Music\Tool\Ænima\03 Tool - H..flac'

Error converting to [ReplayGain], 'E:\Music\Tool\Ænima\09 Tool - Jimmy.flac' to 'E:\Music\Tool\Ænima\09 Tool - Jimmy.IGNORE'

Error converting to [ReplayGain], 'E:\Music\Tool\Ænima\11 Tool - Pushit.flac' to 'E:\Music\Tool\Ænima\11 Tool - Pushit.IGNORE'
Encountered 'FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_READ_METADATA' in FLAC File 'E:\Music\Tool\Ænima\11 Tool - Pushit.flac'
Encountered 'FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_READ_METADATA' in FLAC File 'E:\Music\Tool\Ænima\11 Tool - Pushit.flac'

It seems like there are some different kinds of errors getting thrown around now and I'm not sure what to do, would these errors require a re-rip?

Eleven13
12-13-2014, 08:46 PM
(This was going to be an edit to the above post but I was past the 60 minute limit)

So I ended up replacing all the music on my internal HD with the backup on my external HD, just to be safe. I then cherry picked a few of the above songs that threw an error code, put them in a test folder, and ran the converter like I did before and everything went through with no errors.

I guess that's good news, but I'm just sort of confused as to why that happened. The only thing I could think of is that while I was going through the FLAC-->FLAC process the first time, the converter said it "stopped working" but it continued to work for a few more minutes after that before I manually canceled it. Maybe that caused some weirdness with some of the files?

Anyways, I think I'll try this method again only going slower this time, maybe an artist or two at a time instead of everything in one shot just to be safe.

The only other thing that confused me a bit was looking at the "Replay gain" values in the file properties under the "ID TAG" tab. There are like 4 things that say "replay gain" and I tried to compare the values between files to see if the tag conversion was working, but I'm not even sure if they correlate with anything. Is there any sure fire way to look and see if the tags are correct?

http://i.imgur.com/E0H9KT6.png

There's a screenshot just so you can see what I mean, it's two songs and on the left it's the original file and the right it's the "test" file that went through the RG tag conversion. For "My Own Summer" the values seem to make sense because it goes from ~-15 to ~-10, but for "The Package" it goes from ~-15 to ~-5 which is a much bigger jump?

Eleven13
12-13-2014, 09:21 PM
So I actually just ended up replacing the files on my internal HD with the backup files on the external HD just to be safe.

Then, I cherry picked a few of the files from the above list and put them in a test folder and ran the batch converter on them like last time, and no errors occurred this time (which is weird, but I think my attempt to convert FLAC to FLAC earlier may have corrupted some files in the process because I tried it a few times and a few of the times it stopped responding due to errors so I manually would cancel it).

So now this is my only question:

http://i.imgur.com/VBoIUFD.png

In this screenshot, I have two songs from above, "My Own Summer" and "The Package." I have opened both ID-Tag tabs from the original files (left) and the tag conversion files (right). I'm not sure if this corrleates at all, but it seems like "The Package" underwent a much larger change from original to converted. Does this make any difference or signify that anything went wrong? Are these values even worth looking at? I was just trying to get some confirmation that the tag change worked and that seemed like it is what I should be looked at.