PDA

View Full Version : Using Batch Converter to re-file 1000s of CDs

Z0001
11-19-2014, 04:35 AM
Hi

I ripped an entire library (1000s of CDs) and I used dBpoweramp to create a bespoke folder structure and file name around multi-disc sets. Now when I import using JRiver I find that the path and file name is too long and some (a lot) of tracks were not imported. So I need to apply a fix to the whole library because I don't know where the problems are (and I want consistency) and then re-import.

So 3 questions.

1. If I use Batch Converter to convert say a wav to a wav at the same fidelity settings do I need to apply the same DSP effects/Actions, or should I leave this blank- I applied only HDCD and ReplayGain on rippling.

2. if I apply a Batch Conversion to my entire library will I get any audio degradation due to re-processing?

3. The original rips included an album art file in each album folder. My test with Batch Converter did not bring this over to the new folder structure. Is there an efficient way to carry the album art over to the new folder structure? (or do I have to do that in JRiver?)

Many many thanks
Z

Spoon
11-19-2014, 05:37 AM
1. You can readd replay gain, hdcd is not needed
2. not it lossless to lossless
3. There is the DSP effect 'Preserve Folder.jpg'

Z0001
11-19-2014, 06:26 AM
Thats helpful. so if I use batch converter on an mp3 or m4a with the objective of simply re-filing, will I lose any audio fidelity from the starting mp3 or m4a? (I appreciate these are already lossy, I just don't want pops and crackles due to bad conversion).

Thanks
Z

Spoon
11-19-2014, 06:36 AM
A small amount of quality is lost going mp3 >> mp3

Z0001
11-19-2014, 06:51 AM
so would i be better converting the lossless wav or flac to mp3 (for the portable) rather than converting mp3 to mp3 if my only objective is to re-file and not risk any quality loss?

thanks
Z

garym
11-19-2014, 07:41 AM
or you can use mp3tag to read your files and use the "tag to filename" conversion within the mp3tag program to reorganize your files, including directories/subdirectories. It does not reencode your files, mp3, flac, or otherwise.

Z0001
11-20-2014, 03:34 AM
Interesting. Is mp3tag able to re file the album art file too?

Separately if I do an entire library wav>> mp3 will the mp3 be as good as possible or could the large volume result in any degradation at all?

Many thanks
Z

garym
11-20-2014, 09:14 AM
Interesting. Is mp3tag able to re file the album art file too?

Separately if I do an entire library wav>> mp3 will the mp3 be as good as possible or could the large volume result in any degradation at all?

Many thanks
Z

yes. It will move art too. They have a forum if you have questions. Large volume of conversions don't change quality. The conversions are actually done one at a time whether you convert 1 album or 5000 albums. Large volume will simply take longer.

Edit: do note that wav to MP3 is lossless to lossy. Why not use dopa to convert wav to flac and reorganize at same time. I'm not sure mp3tag works with wav files. For myself I have all files as flac and keep a mirror library of MP3 for my portable devices.