PDA

View Full Version : Use batch convert with mp3gain?

ShowsOn
10-02-2014, 10:06 AM
Hello

Is it possible to use the command line DSP function to use MP3gain on MP3 files straight after they are converted from FLAC files? Ideally the FLAC files would convert to MP3, and then the MP3 files would have track gain applied. I can't seem to get this to work, I think because I am not using the correct command line.

Spoon
10-03-2014, 11:20 AM
Which command line are you using?

ShowsOn
10-04-2014, 04:52 AM
Which command line are you using?

Hi

I've tried a few combinations but frankly I have no idea what I'm doing. I've tried checking "after conversion" and then using the command lines "-r [infilelong]" and "-r [outfilelong] because I read that the -r switch enables track gain, which is what I want. I've tried just checking "After batch" and using -r. I really don't know what I'm doing, but I would've thought it would be possible to get this to work somehow.

I'm using a Core i7 notebook that has an SSD so I don't want to use the MP3gain GUI after encoding files because this only does one file at a time which is a waste of CPU power. It would be great if I could do MP3 encoding and apply MP3gain in track gain mode in one step. I am converting to LAME MP3 -V5 from FLAC files. I'm using dBpoweramp 64 bit on Windows 8 Pro 64 bit.

At the moment the batch encoder converts the FLAC files to MP3 fine, but it just doesn't do the MP3gain to them. The files are just MP3 versions of the FLAC files without any change.

dbfan
10-04-2014, 05:29 AM
Why not use the Replaygain DSP effect to calculate and save the gain?

ShowsOn
10-04-2014, 10:24 AM
Why not use the Replaygain DSP effect to calculate and save the gain?
Will this be compatible with all MP3 players, hardware and software? I've used MP3gain for about 5 years so I just wanted to stick with what I know.

I can't even seem to get Replay gain to work. I tried the Analysis filter and the Apply filter but the MP3 is just the same loudness as the flac file.

mville
10-04-2014, 12:15 PM
I can't even seem to get Replay gain to work. I tried the Analysis filter and the Apply filter but the MP3 is just the same loudness as the flac file.

There are 2 Replaygain DSPs, ReplayGain and ReplayGain (Apply).

ReplayGain is a non-destructive DSP which writes tags to the files only and DOES NOT alter the audio. These tags are read by media players, which adjusts the audio levels on playback.

ReplayGain (Apply) is a destructive DSP, which alters the audio in a similar way to MP3Gain.

Ideally though, you would use the non-destructive DSP, ReplayGain, but you would have to check that your media player supports reading ReplayGain tags.

ShowsOn
10-06-2014, 03:40 AM
There are 2 Replaygain DSPs, ReplayGain and ReplayGain (Apply).

ReplayGain is a non-destructive DSP which writes tags to the files only and DOES NOT alter the audio. These tags are read by media players, which adjusts the audio levels on playback.

ReplayGain (Apply) is a destructive DSP, which alters the audio in a similar way to MP3Gain.

Ideally though, you would use the non-destructive DSP, ReplayGain, but you would have to check that your media player supports reading ReplayGain tags.

So is there anyway to get ReplyGain applied to the MP3s after batch conversion? I can't seem to do it.

My old way of doing this was to batch convert FLAC to MP3, and then use the MP3gain GUI. But I'm trying to figure out a way to do this in one step. Just use the batch converter to make the FLAC files and replay or MP3gain them in one step.

Spoon
10-06-2014, 04:23 AM
Use the DSP effect 'Volume Normlize' set to EBU or Replaygain.