PDA

View Full Version : getting lots of decoding stream errors

Sossity
09-27-2014, 06:36 AM
I find that when I am converting my flac albums to m4a or mp3, half the time I get an error message at the end of conversion saying decoding stream error could not open file.

I would then see these files, and notice it seems to have a hard time with longer file names of individual tracks, so I would go and rename those tracks or shorten the file name.

Then I would reconvert, and this time with no errors. It tuns out it just reconverts and leaves out the album artwork for those tracks. I checked some in mp3 tag. I do not want to have to check all my 300+albums to be sure that the album art is getting embedded properly into each track.

So it seems the batch converter can only convert tracks with short file names or it converts with errors and leaves out album artwork.

It is also leaving out tracks, and creating separate folders and placing each song in its own folder for each letter from the title of some albums.

This is getting frustrating, I would like to be able to simply load my files, and get a good conversion, I have over 300+ albums converting, and it is too tedious to have to backtrack to be sure the converter is doing its job; converting without all these weird errors and missing album art. It is wasting my time. This batch converter is not doing a very good job for me right now.

I am using windows XP SP2 through parallels on a mac mini. dBpoweramp reference 15.1

Spoon
09-27-2014, 06:46 AM
It will place the files where ever you tell it to do so with naming, however if your filenames are over the 260 characters then this can cause the naming to split in different folders. On Windows if you want good compatibility with everything (even Microsofts own Windows Explorer) the total path length has to be under 260 characters.

Album art, they are folder.jpg or embedded?

Sossity
09-27-2014, 06:52 AM
In the batch converter settings, I have force embedded artwork under manipulations. I also have export to folder jpg.

I dont know why I get these conversion failures, and it seems to have trouble with some tracks and not others. Sometimes shortening the file names does not always work.

How do I go through and make sure all my album art got embedded into every track of all these converted albums? I dont want to have to go back and reconvert, this will take me way to long.

Is windows 7 better with character length of file names?

Spoon
09-27-2014, 08:52 AM
260 is the maximum length for Windows 7 and 8.1

Check that the folder names are not over the 260 character length.

Sossity
09-27-2014, 04:22 PM
It does this even when I shorten file names, sometimes the file names are not that long for individual tracks, and it leaves out album art.

Spoon
09-27-2014, 07:16 PM
Your filenames also include folders? if you have classical music, the album name can often be very long with extra information.

didero
10-01-2014, 05:05 PM
Your filenames also include folders? if you have classical music, the album name can often be very long with extra information.

Just a suggestion. Keep the number of subfolders limited. For example one main folder called "Music" and for each album one subfolder that is limited to the maximum number of characters. When copying files in Windows one gets errors that the filename is too long when the three of folders with subfolders gets to deep.