PDA

View Full Version : How good is the Album Art element of Perfect Tunes?

Peterlanky
09-21-2014, 06:59 AM
I have around 600 CDs all ripped with DBpoweramp, for which probably 80% located the correct album art at the time of ripping. A good number of these are at a resolution of around 750x750 but also a good number are significantly smaller than this, some as low as 300x300. Classical music CDs were less likely than popular music at finding the correct album art.

Now 2 years on, I have a 10" tablet and it would be desirable, but not essential to get higher resolution album art for all these ripped CDs. If I could get a 90%+ success rate I could cope with manually finding the other 60 CDs, but any less success rate would mean there is little point wasting my money.

How good is Perfect Tunes at doing this?
Does Perfect Tunes find album art higher than 750x750?

Is there any option to get Perfect Tunes at a lower price if I already own DBpoweramp R14?

Spoon
09-21-2014, 04:42 PM
You can install the demo and it will show the art is would write if have the registered version.

If you upgrade to R15, then there is a 25% discount on perfecttunes (on the R15 download page).

garym
09-21-2014, 05:11 PM
I've had pretty good luck getting lots of 1000x1000 art over thousands of albums. Obviously it depends on what is out there. Between album art and post-rip ACCURATERIP checking, PerfectTunes is a must have program for serious digital music collectors.

Peterlanky
09-22-2014, 06:18 AM
It would appear from correspondence that there is no cost effective upgrade for existing users. I can either upgrade my R14 and buy PT at full price or get a package of the two as a new user, but not buy the package as an existing user. I have concluded that it is not worth the cost for me.

Spoon
09-22-2014, 06:29 AM
>I can either upgrade my R14 and buy PT at full price

No, when upgrading to R15 (at discount), there is an offer link to purchase PerfectTUNES with a 25% discount on the R15 registration page.

Peterlanky
09-22-2014, 06:38 AM
At the time I am expected to pay for my upgrade I am given no option to purchase PT at a discount. I'm afraid I'm not prepared to commit myself to a payment, and then find that this option doesn't exist (learning from experience).

FredipusRex
09-27-2014, 01:21 AM
I just updated my library of 300+ CDs (wide variety of genres, obscure to popular).

The good news is the majority of artwork (80%) was 1000x1000 or 750x750 and at good compression ratios (average around 150-250K). The bad news is that only about a third were what I would consider good quality. Many were poorly scanned copies with lots of artifacts, creases and speckles.

I've personally found that Album Art Downloader XUI is the best source of covers - it's plugin based and has loads of different sources. You can almost always find a perfect cover with it. The only workflow downside is that sometimes the best cover is ridiculously large (in size or bytes), so you may have to resize or reencode the file to get the size just right.

Spoon
09-27-2014, 06:50 AM
If you compare to a program which has a manual element to it, perfecttunes also lets you manually choose art (click Fix next to a single album), compare apples and apples.