PDA

View Full Version : CD with no MetaData

The_Grim_Ripper
08-21-2014, 06:04 AM
Hi,

I've purchased a CD, Delta Saints Live at the Exit/In, and when i put the CD in the computer not one piece of metadata is found. The CD was purchased from american as it doesn't seem like its for sale in the UK.

I entered in all the details and ripped the disc. Not in AR but a green secure tick. When i listened it had 2 seconds pauses after each track. Very frustrating. I'm using Kinsky as i have a Linn DS. When i put the CD in the car it also paused for 2 seconds, but not sure that is the config. Winamp put pauses in but MediaMonkey is fine. I brought the latest version of DBpoweramp yesterday and i'm using Windows 7, 64bit.

Is there away to get the metadata ? I would have thought at least one database would pick up the details.
Is there a way to rip it without the gaps and why is this not working automatically. The CD is an original pressing.

Spoon
08-21-2014, 08:26 AM
The gaps are likely encoded into the audio, for a CD to have no metadata and no AR result, is possible the CD is a copy?

The_Grim_Ripper
08-21-2014, 09:10 AM
It doesn't look like a copy, i.e. a CD-R.
If i put on CD-Text it does populate the metadata. But would i not see something in a metadata database ?
Even when i rip it with the CD-Text i still get the gaps between the tracks. Is xAR and Secure(Tick) not the best other than an accuraterip?

Spoon
08-21-2014, 10:42 AM
> Is xAR and Secure(Tick) not the best other than an accuraterip?

Yes, this uses the drive to self verify.

The_Grim_Ripper
08-21-2014, 11:01 AM
Thanks. Is it common not to have a cd in accuraterip?

What can I do about my live album? Should I see metadata from an online database ? Is cd text as good? Also what about the gapless playback? Thanks spoon.

Spoon
08-21-2014, 01:29 PM
Even manually entered metadata is fine, AccurateRip has some 3m unique discs, but there will still be missing discs.

You can try a DSP effect to remove the silence at the end of the tracks, such as 'Trim Silence'

The_Grim_Ripper
08-21-2014, 01:45 PM
Ok spoon I'll try that. Do you think that will make it flow like it should?

The cd came from the bands official site and was all wrapped up in celofain. The disc looks like an original from the bottom. Seems odd doesn't it that seems to have these gaps? Got me concerned there is something wrong with the disc. Can you be happy with a secure rip ? Apologies for all the questions.

Spoon
08-21-2014, 04:54 PM
If the disc is not in accuraterip, secure is the next best thing.

The_Grim_Ripper
08-22-2014, 02:36 AM
Spoon, The cd came from the bands official site and was all wrapped up in celofain.

Seems odd doesn't it that seems to have these gaps? Got me concerned there is something wrong with the disc ?

Will the "trim silence" make it flow without the gaps ?

question on the side, if your had an accuraterip of 1 or above is that classed as perfect ?

If you had a strange noise on a track that had an accurate result of 8, would that mean that strange noise would be on other discs ?

Sorry for all the questions, just getting my head around DBPOWERAMP and how Accuraterip works.

Spoon
08-22-2014, 03:11 AM
Yes,
Yes,
Yes

(to your questions).

The_Grim_Ripper
08-22-2014, 03:23 AM
Sorry spoon, those answer are to which questions, i had more than 3 ! :)

Spoon
08-22-2014, 05:15 AM
>Seems odd doesn't it that seems to have these gaps? Got me concerned there is something wrong with the disc ?

Yes

>Will the "trim silence" make it flow without the gaps ?

Yes

>question on the side, if your had an accuraterip of 1 or above is that classed as perfect ?

Yes

>If you had a strange noise on a track that had an accurate result of 8, would that mean that strange noise would be on other discs ?

Yes

The_Grim_Ripper
08-22-2014, 05:23 AM
Could the gaps on the disc be the way that DBPOWERAMP has read it ? Could it be the replaygain setting causing an issue ?

garym
08-22-2014, 06:24 AM
Could the gaps on the disc be the way that DBPOWERAMP has read it ? Could it be the replaygain setting causing an issue ?

replaygain setting has nothing to do with gaps or lack thereof. And dbpoweramp will rip what's on the disk, including gaps if they exist. dbpa never "adds" gaps. There are CD writers (as opposed to rippers) that can create disks that have added gaps of 1 or 2 seconds (and these gaps are not on the original CD). But again this is certain WRITERS and not how the dbpa RIPPER works. Sounds to me like the disk you have was created by a CD writer with "add gap between tracks" option turned ON. But these are definitely not being added by dbpa. I rip gapless CDs all the time with dbpa and they work perfectly with no special options to set in dbpa.

The_Grim_Ripper
08-22-2014, 06:30 AM
Hi Garym,

The CD came from the bands official website and was all wrapped in cellophane. The disc itself looks like a Normal disc not a CD-R or anything. So i don't understand.

garym
08-22-2014, 06:41 AM
Hi Garym,

The CD came from the bands official website and was all wrapped in cellophane. The disc itself looks like a Normal disc not a CD-R or anything. So i don't understand.

you'll have to contact folks at the bands website and ask them about the disk. Just because it is from a band's website doesn't mean they didn't do weird things. I've found that lots of bands have little or no understanding of digital music and its distribution. Heck there are bands that convert mp3 files to FLAC to sell because people have asked for FLAC files, without understanding that these FLAC files are not really lossless (since sourced from mp3). But the bottom line is that dbpa isn't modifying the CD to add gaps. What happens if you play the original disks in a CD player or on your computer directly. Are there gaps between tracks?

The_Grim_Ripper
08-22-2014, 06:46 AM
Thanks for replying GaryM. When i payed it in the car it did pause between each track. Could be the setup of the car stereo.
When i played it through the laptop with Winamp and DBpoweramp it added the 2 second gap. When playing it through MediaMonkey it played fine.
This stuff stresses me out as i just want it to be perfect.

garym
08-22-2014, 06:57 AM
Thanks for replying GaryM. When i payed it in the car it did pause between each track. Could be the setup of the car stereo.
When i played it through the laptop with Winamp and DBpoweramp it added the 2 second gap. When playing it through MediaMonkey it played fine.
This stuff stresses me out as i just want it to be perfect.

all this info you've provided (car playback, winamp playback) confirms for me that the gaps are built into the original CD. Nothing you are doing on your end is adding the gaps. You've done all you can do.

The_Grim_Ripper
08-22-2014, 07:11 AM
all this info you've provided (car playback, winamp playback) confirms for me that the gaps are built into the original CD. Nothing you are doing on your end is adding the gaps. You've done all you can do.

OK thank you. Its really stressing me out thinking a CD has a problem. :cry:

PepsiCan
08-23-2014, 11:00 AM
OK thank you. Its really stressing me out thinking a CD has a problem. :cry:

Your disc does not have a problem. You were sold a badly made product. They wouldn't be the first band to produce their own cds without being able to properly master the recording and create a cd. Don't be surprised if they have their files on a server and record a disc on demand using a computer. In your case someone used the wrong burning options.

Your computer will identify what type of disc it is when you insert it I think. At least, Windows does.

The_Grim_Ripper
08-24-2014, 03:17 AM
Thank you PepsiCan :-)