PDA

View Full Version : Newbie: need help with burst/secure settings

olot007
08-04-2014, 02:40 AM
Hi, I finally took the plunge and purchased the Reference Bundle. I'm getting started on a 700 cd collection and have ripped a couple cd's to get a feel for things. My goal is to rip everything to a NAS as FLAC. I'll use these rips for my main Home A/V system. I'll also be converting the desired tracks and/or albums to m4a files for the apple gear.

If someone could help me understand a few things, I would be ever grateful.

I've been using "burst" as the ripping method. Why do I need the "secure" method if AccurateRip tells me my rip is good?
I've been using the ReplayGain DSP with "track & album gain" selected, and in the advanced window it defaulted to EBU R 128 and -18. Are these settings correct?
I received the following error but couldn't hear anything wrong with the track: (not sure what it means...)

Information ripping to FLAC, 'Track 1' to 'C:\Ripped_CDs\Pink Floyd\The Dark Side of the Moon\01 Pink Floyd - Speak to Me.flac'
Warning: Normalisation gain would have resulted in clipping, gain has been reduced to prevent this: Loudness=-30.49LUFS, Gain=12.49dB, Maximum True Peak=-1.00LUFS, True Peak=-10.63LUFS, New gain=9.63dB [clDSP::EndConversion]
On albums that don't actually pause between tracks, is there a way to tell the player not to pause between tracks?

thanks in advance.

Spoon
08-04-2014, 05:02 AM
1. Secure will retry to rip a track if has errors, so there is a good chance a small error can be corrected.
2. Yes
3. Not to worry about, the program just lowers the RG value to stop clipping
4. You need a gapless player, lossless files are 100% gapless from all CD Ripping programs.

olot007
08-04-2014, 01:21 PM
thanks Spoon! that was quick.

I figured out *4 when I was practicing converting to m4v. Windows Media Player played the m4v tracks without a gap but vlc still had a gap. (which is fine, I only use it on my pc for testing and quick checks.) I don't have a FLAC codec for WMP so I couldn't check the FLAC rips but it all makes sense now.

Spoon
08-04-2014, 01:50 PM
Foobar is a player which can play gapless.