PDA

View Full Version : Some of my folder.jpg files are no longer displayed correctly.

warpian
07-22-2014, 04:12 PM
Hi there,

I switched to Linux not so long ago and now some of my folder.jpg files are no longer displayed correctly in BubbleDS.

Because other folder.jpg files still work just fine, I thought I'd swap a few to see what happens. Indeed the folder.jpg file itself is the problem. So I inspected the meta data of several folder.jpg files and they are indeed different. Extra info: all my folder.jpg files were correctly displayed when I was still using AssetUPnP under Windows.

So I opened up a faulty folder.jpg file in the Gimp and saved it with different settings. More specifically I removed the checkbox for "Progressive" and now the folder.jpg works again. I dont know whether this Progressive flag is causing anything, that could be just a fluke/side effect.

So I have a work around (might be of help to others), but I am still busy converting files because my library is quite extensive and one in about ten folder.jpg files is faulty.

Any ideas?

kind regards,
Tom

warpian
07-22-2014, 04:18 PM
Example file that does not display correctly when running AssetUPnP on Linux.

I inspected the jpg meta data by using this tool: http://regex.info/exif.cgi

garym
07-22-2014, 04:29 PM
Hi there,

I switched to Linux not so long ago and now some of my folder.jpg files are no longer displayed correctly in BubbleDS.

Because other folder.jpg files still work just fine, I thought I'd swap a few to see what happens. Indeed the folder.jpg file itself is the problem. So I inspected the meta data of several folder.jpg files and they are indeed different. Extra info: all my folder.jpg files were correctly displayed when I was still using AssetUPnP under Windows.

So I opened up a faulty folder.jpg file in the Gimp and saved it with different settings. More specifically I removed the checkbox for "Progressive" and now the folder.jpg works again. I dont know whether this Progressive flag is causing anything, that could be just a fluke/side effect.

So I have a work around (might be of help to others), but I am still busy converting files because my library is quite extensive and one in about ten folder.jpg files is faulty.

Any ideas?

kind regards,
Tom

can't you just do a search for only *.jpg files within your parent music directory, select all jpg files that show up, right click and untick the "progressive" flag?

warpian
07-22-2014, 06:08 PM
Uhhh I dont think so?

I guess I could make a script of some kind, but that takes time as well. Anyway, I thought I'd share this info on the forum because I do believe AssetUPnP could be improved here. Especially since the exact same jpg files did not give any troubles when running AssetUPnP under Windows, nor does Gimp complain about them not being readible or broken.

mville
07-22-2014, 06:22 PM
Uhhh I dont think so?

Why not?

I do believe AssetUPnP could be improved here. Especially since the exact same jpg files did not give any troubles when running AssetUPnP under Windows, nor does Gimp complain about them not being readible or broken.

Why do you assume that the problem is with Asset?

It could be a problem with BubbleDS. I use FoobarCon on Android and FoobarCon cannot display .jpg album artwork files with CMYK color mode and I have to change them to RGB color mode for them to be viewable in FoobarCon.

garym
07-22-2014, 06:32 PM
Uhhh I dont think so?

I guess I could make a script of some kind, but that takes time as well. Anyway, I thought I'd share this info on the forum because I do believe AssetUPnP could be improved here. Especially since the exact same jpg files did not give any troubles when running AssetUPnP under Windows, nor does Gimp complain about them not being readible or broken.

not sure about linux, but in windows I could open the parent directory containing all my music (including all subdirectories), filter for *.jpg files, then batch change file properties (or use xcopy and copy all *jpg files to new *jpg files in same subdirectories). Problem solved in a couple of mouse clicks. I'm not saying Asset couldn't also be improved to deal with these files (don't know), just suggesting an reasonably simple alternative.

Spoon
07-23-2014, 05:56 AM
Issue noted, it will be corrected when we are next working on Asset.

AndersHu
07-24-2014, 07:08 AM
not sure about linux, but in windows I could open the parent directory containing all my music (including all subdirectories), filter for *.jpg files, then batch change file properties (or use xcopy and copy all *jpg files to new *jpg files in same subdirectories). Problem solved in a couple of mouse clicks. I'm not saying Asset couldn't also be improved to deal with these files (don't know), just suggesting an reasonably simple alternative.

But Progressive is not a file propertie, but a setting for the jpeg encoder.

garym
07-24-2014, 07:14 AM
But Progressive is not a file propertie, but a setting for the jpeg encoder.

Aha. didn't know that. thanks.

pafal
07-26-2014, 05:18 PM
For your information. It is the same problem in the QNAP version of Asset.