PDA

View Full Version : Batch convert FLAC files while also copying MP3 files?

trailbait
07-16-2014, 03:32 PM
Let me begin by conceding that I am a total novice at this so please don't yell at me for being stupid.

With that disclaimer out of the way, I have a massive CD collection. Over many months, I used CD Ripper to rip everything into a huge library of FLAC files (nearly 200 GB). Interspersed here and there among the FLAC files are some MP3 files (of varying bit rates) from the occasional download over the years.

I want to use Batch Converter to make an mirror copy of the entire library except I want the copied library to be all MP3's. In other words, I'd like Batch Converter to convert the FLAC's and simply copy the MP3's (so I'll have a mirror copy of the library). Thus, I want to copy but not convert the MP3's.

Because of the size of the library, going through it and manually identifying and copying the MP3's is not a viable option.

Is there any way Batch Converter can do this? I have experimented with a few folders I know contain both FLAC and MP3 files but have not been successful converting FLAC's but unsuccessful in simultaneously copying the MP3's.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Spoon
07-16-2014, 05:02 PM
It cannot do this, there is the wish list section of our forum.

garym
07-16-2014, 07:50 PM
It would be a good idea to get your lossless vs lossy library under control. Many of us had to do this in the past and it was well worth it. Should be pretty easy. There are ways to do this with ARRANGE AUDIO in dbpa or in mp3tag. For example, in mp3tag, I could open parent directory with all files, then filter on *.mp3 extension. Then with only mp3 files showing, I could use the CONVERT, tag to filename, function and move all these mp3 files into new directories, retaining same directory/subdirectory/filename structure. (note, all this done in simple batch, with a matter of a few mouse clicks once the "mapping" is setup). Then when done, you'd have two music directories. For example,

d:\music
d:\music\lossless
d:\music\lossy

and you'd have only FLAC files in your lossless directory. Then you could convert those to mp3 copies. In my own case I actually have 3 directories:

\music\lossless
\music\lossyonly
\music\lossycopies

This way, I know that the music in the lossycopies directory are simply copies of what I have in FLAC. And at home, where I play my FLAC files, I point my music server at the libraries "music\lossless" and "music\lossyonly". In this way, at home I have only the best copies of everything. For my iThings, I point my library at \music\lossyonly and \music\lossycopies. Then I have all mp3 files for my iThings.

EDIT: And I've done this on a much larger library than yours (about 7 times larger: mine is about 1.5 TB of FLAC files and I'm not done ripping!)

trailbait
07-17-2014, 10:26 AM
Garym, that sounds like what I need to do. Thanks for your advice. I am going to try to set up my music exactly as you've done. Dumb question: where can I find the "arrange audio" feature in dbPoweramp so I can automatically identify the mp3's and move them to the lossyonly folder? Batch converter, CD ripper, Music converter??? I looked around and didn't see it.

If it matters, my master directory (which is 95% FLAC and 5% MP3) consists of lots of sub-folders arranged as artist/album/individual files.

garym
07-17-2014, 01:03 PM
Garym, that sounds like what I need to do. Thanks for your advice. I am going to try to set up my music exactly as you've done. Dumb question: where can I find the "arrange audio" feature in dbPoweramp so I can automatically identify the mp3's and move them to the lossyonly folder? Batch converter, CD ripper, Music converter??? I looked around and didn't see it.

If it matters, my master directory (which is 95% FLAC and 5% MP3) consists of lots of sub-folders arranged as artist/album/individual files.

yep, all my stuff is artist/album/individual files. You install the ARRANGE AUDIO codec from the codec central page. Then you "convert to" the DSP [ARRANGE AUDIO]. Basically you enter info there that has a parent directory (e.g., d:\lossy) and then use variables like "[artist]\[album]\[track] - [title]" or something similar to that. Play around a bit obviously before you do a giant batch convert. I'm not sure how you filter the mp3 files only with ARRANGE AUDIO. Might have to filter with windows explorer, then cut and paste the mp3 files to a different parent directory, and then use ARRANGE AUDIO to organize them by artist/album/tracks....

trailbait
07-17-2014, 02:02 PM
I successfully installed the Arrange Audio codec. When I get to the "convert to" box in Batch Converter, there is no option for DSP or Arrange Audio. In the DSP Effects/Actions box at the bottom, there is nothing. When I click to Add a DSP Effect, I don't see anything that looks like it would sort and move the MP3's.

I also tried to identify and move the MP3 files via Windows Explorer but couldn't figure out a way that wasn't 100% manual, i.e., opening each individual artist and album folders and looking for MP3's. It doesn't show the file type until I open the artist folder and then the album folder.

There has to be an easy way to do this but I'm really struggling to find it.

garym
07-17-2014, 02:29 PM
I successfully installed the Arrange Audio codec. When I get to the "convert to" box in Batch Converter, there is no option for DSP or Arrange Audio. In the DSP Effects/Actions box at the bottom, there is nothing. When I click to Add a DSP Effect, I don't see anything that looks like it would sort and move the MP3's.

I also tried to identify and move the MP3 files via Windows Explorer but couldn't figure out a way that wasn't 100% manual, i.e., opening each individual artist and album folders and looking for MP3's. It doesn't show the file type until I open the artist folder and then the album folder.

There has to be an easy way to do this but I'm really struggling to find it.

probably easiest to do this in mp3tag at this point. Install mp3tag here:

http://download.mp3tag.de/mp3tagv261asetup.exe

1. right click on the parent directory containing all your music.
2. in popup menu choose open with mp3tag. (may take a while to load all your files)
3. in top menu click VIEW and select filter. Now there is a filter line at bottom of screen.
4. Enter "mp3" without quotes into filter line.
5. Now your active window should just be showing mp3 files (no flac files)
6. In mp3tag menu, select EDIT, then select all files. This will highlight all the mp3 files.
7. in top menu select CONVERT, then "tag to filename"
8. In the tag-filename popup, enter format string as follows:
c:\lossy\%artist%\%album%\$num(%track%,2) - %title%

(obviously, change the "c:\lossy\" to whatever parent directory you want these files moved to.)

Then hit OK. This will move and reorganize the files and subdirectories, leaving you with c:\lossy\artist\album\tracks.... format.

Obviously, for the above to work, you must have proper tag data in these files (i.e., artist, album, track number, and track name). Play around with an album or two just to get comfortable with how it works. But once you're comfortable, you can batch move all your mp3 files in one step. And note that this only moves and reorganizes the files. The above does NOT change any of your Tagging info.

trailbait
07-22-2014, 09:21 AM
Garym, I did exactly as you suggested. Mp3tag worked great for sorting out the various lossy files. Thank you for giving such clear directions! I then used BatchConverter to copy the FLAC files as MP3's into my new lossy copies directory. My poor computer chugged and chugged all night long to get it done, but it's finally done.

The only issue I have now is the FLAC to MP3 copies made by BatchConverter are just the file names, i.e., no folder for artist or subfolders for albums. It's just a long list of MP3 files, although all the ID Tags are there. Is there a way to automatically create folders for artists and subfolders for albums? I have BatchConverter, MusicConverter, CD Ripper, PerfectTunes and now Mp3tag.

garym
07-22-2014, 09:36 AM
Garym, I did exactly as you suggested. Mp3tag worked great for sorting out the various lossy files. Thank you for giving such clear directions! I then used BatchConverter to copy the FLAC files as MP3's into my new lossy copies directory. My poor computer chugged and chugged all night long to get it done, but it's finally done.

The only issue I have now is the FLAC to MP3 copies made by BatchConverter are just the file names, i.e., no folder for artist or subfolders for albums. It's just a long list of MP3 files, although all the ID Tags are there. Is there a way to automatically create folders for artists and subfolders for albums? I have BatchConverter, MusicConverter, CD Ripper, PerfectTunes and now Mp3tag.

You should have used dynamic naming when you ran the batch converter in dbpa. This would have created artist/album subdirectories. You can use AUDIO ARRANGE dsp in batch converter to move all these files into artist/album subdirectories automatically. Or in mp3tag do the exact same thing you did before that created a separate directory of lossy files. In this case, just open that giant single directory of all these converted files in mp3tag. Then select all files.

CONVERT > tag to filename

format string would be:
c:\lossy\%artist%\%album%\$num(%track%,2) - %title%

(or wherever these files are located equivalent to "c:\lossy"

trailbait
07-22-2014, 10:49 AM
Sweet! It worked great in Mp3tag!

Garym, you've been a lifesaver. I really wish the BatchConverter had a simple user guide or instructions for novices like myself. There was a user guide for CD Ripper that gave step-by-step instructions for the "typical" configuration. Simple instructions for the typical batch conversion would be nice, too. I realize the program can do a million things for true audiophiles but it can be confusing for a simple user like me who only wants to rip lossless files and create smaller MP3 copies for portables.

In any event, my loooong project of ripping all my CDs is now complete. I now have lossless files organized nicely and lossy files that I can load onto portable devices. Very happy! Thanks for all your help, Garym. If you're ever in Knoxville, TN, let me know because I owe you some beer!

garym
07-22-2014, 11:03 AM
If you're ever in Knoxville, TN, let me know because I owe you some beer!

Happy it worked out. I haven't been in Knoxville for a couple of years but I'll have to make a note of my Beer "receivable" for any future trips. I do listen almost daily to WDVX, East Tennessee radio (and even contribute to the station). A very good "americana" station.

p.s. for other readers, I know that dbpa and things like [ARRANGE AUDIO] can do the same things that my mp3tag instructions can do. I just started using the mp3tag approach before I became a dbpa user and have never bothered figuring out the [ARRANGE AUDIO] approach (under the "if it works, don't change" philosophy).