PDA

View Full Version : Extremely slow ripping

keroner
05-21-2014, 02:21 PM
Hi All,

I've been using CD ripper for quite some time now and succesfully ripped about 300 cd's without a problem. I've always been ripping directly to my Synology DS-212J, and this hasn't slowed me down before.

Now all of a sudden CD ripper became extremely slow. As shown in the picture the encoding hangs, and this can take up to 10/20 minutes.
Also shown in the picture that there is no extreme usage in the resources of either the PC nor the NAS.

Has anyone ancountered this, and found a solution. It must be some setting or something since it worked flawlessly before.

Thanks in advance !!!!

Btw, using DB 14.4

http://i62.tinypic.com/dm9sg5.jpg

Spoon
05-21-2014, 04:34 PM
Try ripping to your local computer as a test, which encoder are you using? Try ripping to Test Conversion as a test.

keroner
05-23-2014, 02:23 PM
Ok. So ripping to desktop works like a charm and finished in 3 minutes.

Strange that ripping to the NAS suddemly became a problem. I did upgrade the Synology to DSM 5.0. Anyone reported the same problem after updating?
I did reinstall dBp but I can't remember doing anything different.

Ps. I'm ripping to FLAC Lossless uncompressed. I do imbed coverart though.

Spoon
05-23-2014, 03:17 PM
A nas share should be transparent to the computer, that is it should work just like a local HDD. It does point to a NAS >> PC issue.

keroner
05-24-2014, 03:39 AM
Just uploaded a movie to the NAS. Average upload speed 24 Mbyte/sec.

Considering my cables are 100Mbit and my hardware is 1Gbit, 24Mbyte translate to 192Mbit (correct ?).

This should be no problem for ripping I asume?

Spoon
05-24-2014, 04:16 AM
Except with CD Ripper it is stalling, there is nothing in our code which can stall, we simply write to the file, if this write call never completes then it is the fault of the share.

keroner
05-24-2014, 04:24 AM
I just rebooted the NAS, Router, switch and PC.

No luck :(

Now hanging on one thread........ I am lost here. Damn I hate that.

I just read about dBpoweramp [Encode Local] Utility Codec. Is this still necessary?

Spoon
05-24-2014, 08:06 AM
It used to be required for FLAC because it would shuffle the whole flac file at the end of ripping to make way for tags, not it puts a blank space whilst ripping, the tags just fill that space. It is no longer required.