PDA

View Full Version : How do I increase volume of flaac files post rip?

HydeTheDarkerSi
05-11-2014, 07:41 AM
Searched a few threads on this topic on the forum but they all appear to relate to mp3 files and I'm not sure if the reason for my issue is caused by flaac files?

The issue...

A number of my old CD's have ripped with a much lower volume than the rest of my collection. A rip process I did a good few years ago now. It's always bugged me that these CD's have such a low volume but never done anything about it until now.

So I've tried:-
Volume Normalise with Replay Gain - no effect on the volume
with Fixed Amplification - +30db, that worked but the output was completely distorted and lower values don't crank up the volume enough.

Replay Gain (apply) with Album Gain and Active value of +20db. That didn't have any audible effect.

What should I be doing please?

TIA

Spoon
05-11-2014, 08:02 AM
If you are applying such large gains as +30 dB then it will cause distortion if the signal clips, try converting a file to wave then look at it in an audio editor such as audacity so you can see the signal and play with amplification values.

In the testing section is a DSP Effects R11, which include a new Dynamic range compression, which might help make the quiet bits louder without distortion, we also have in the Volume Normalize an Adaptive Normalization which uses windows to increase the volume.

HydeTheDarkerSi
05-13-2014, 04:54 AM
...In the testing section is a DSP Effects R11, which include a new Dynamic range compression, which might help make the quiet bits louder without distortionNot sure that will help me as it's the overall volume of the whole album I need to increase.

...we also have in the Volume Normalize an Adaptive Normalization which uses windows to increase the volume.Sorry, newbie here ;-) What does "uses windows to increase the volume.", mean?

Thanks.

Spoon
05-13-2014, 06:56 AM
Traditional volume normalize will apply a single value to the whole file, so if you had a file which was mostly quiet, except for a loud part, there would be no normalize done. The Windowing is like someone having their hand on the volume knob, changing to suit the audio.

HydeTheDarkerSi
05-13-2014, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the clarification. I'll try both and see what that gives me.

Cheers.

HydeTheDarkerSi
05-13-2014, 10:18 AM
...we also have in the Volume Normalize an Adaptive Normalization which uses windows to increase the volume. Sorry this has had no effect on the volume at all. :confused:

Edit...

How do I install "DSP Effects R11" please? I've downloaded and run the exe but if I look in dBPoweramp Configuration it reports version 7 of the DSP.

Spoon
05-13-2014, 01:38 PM
R7? that must be 8 years old, not sure how you have that. Try to uninstall the DSP effects, then look at configuration, which version does it show? or does it say 'DSP Effects: Not installed' (or similar)

HydeTheDarkerSi
05-13-2014, 02:54 PM
Well I purchased dbppoweramp in 2011. It'll be whatever version came at the time.

Anyway, uninstalled DSP and re-installed R11. Configuration still says V7 :confused: actually just uninstalling DSP and configuration STILL reports V7 when nothing is installed. :confused::confused:

HydeTheDarkerSi
05-13-2014, 03:23 PM
Trying to post a jpg file from PC showing the Configuration screen reporting V7 but the basic browse dialog box on this site allows me to select the image to upload but no buttons on the dialog to actually post it. If I click the insertion point at the end of the path and press "enter" I just get a message that no thread has been selected :confused::confused:

HydeTheDarkerSi
05-13-2014, 03:29 PM
If I run Batch Converter again it still presents a list of DSP effects with it uninstalled????

Spoon
05-13-2014, 03:50 PM
You must have 2 installs of dBpoweramp, see:

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?13285-Totally-Clearing-dBpoweramp-from-the-System

To clear.

HydeTheDarkerSi
05-14-2014, 05:20 AM
Uninstalled all DB* entries using Control Panel > Programs and Features. Ran your clean up utility. Downloaded registered copy of dbpoweramp and reinstalled, also reinstalled the beta dsp effects. Versions reported by Configuration are:-

dbpoweramp 14.4
DSP 11 beta

Reran Volume Normalize with EBUr128 > Max Amp 8 and Desired Volume of 4db

Played audio tracks and absolutely no change in the volume :'(

What am I doing wrong please?

Spoon
05-14-2014, 05:31 AM
Select 'Adaptive Normalization'

HydeTheDarkerSi
05-14-2014, 05:59 AM
Sorry, still no audible difference :confused: