PDA

View Full Version : Asset Upnp for Synology?

nw1456
05-05-2014, 12:04 PM
Hi,
Are there any plans for Asset Upnp to be made available for synology? Or is it already, I can't find any reference to it.

The reason I ask is that at the moment I'm running a Qnap and need to "upgrade" as it's a little underpowered. Just started using Asset and it's great and I want to license it. But I can't choose between another Qnap, or Synology. so........

Thanks

Spoon
05-05-2014, 04:24 PM
No current plans to release for Synology

nw1456
05-05-2014, 04:38 PM
Ok, Thanks.

twit
05-22-2014, 09:14 PM
Spoon, if Synology ever made an Atom-based NAS, for example a Silvermont NAS, would that be something you'd consider for Asset? I've been interested in a Silvermont NAS since last Sept and I'm not aware of any yet in the market, but maybe soon.

Spoon
05-23-2014, 04:27 AM
It is about demand and time to create (the actual hardware is required). I do not think there is enough demand.

Tom_W
12-13-2014, 06:06 AM
Hi Spoon,
Is there any change in your intention to develop Asset for Synology NAS? Synology don't appear to be improving their basic media server, so there is definitely a need for a better solution.

Spoon
12-13-2014, 07:17 AM
There are no current plans.

DrGerm
01-18-2015, 10:00 AM
Just replying to state I'd be interested in seeing this on Synology if you ever get around to it :) Thanks!

urgenta
02-12-2015, 03:42 AM
Hi Spoon
I am waiting for Asset UPnP for Sinology too.

Best Regards
Urgenta

jonesthegas
02-20-2015, 09:21 AM
Me too. Synology sell a lot of NAS devices so I am not sure why there would be no demand.

Regards

Martin

Duncan
07-14-2015, 02:50 AM
hi, just count me too for being very interested in asset for SYNOLOGY

kind regards
duncan

OldRocker
11-06-2015, 10:21 AM
Hi,
Good news for owners of a Synology NAS DS214SE or eq. (same ARM7 core)
You can run Asset for Raspberry Pi on it.

Installation instructions for ASSET on Synology DS214SE

Enable the SSH-service (using port 10022) on the Synology NAS via the diskstation manager under control panel>Terminal and SNMP options

On a windows pc:
Launch "Putty.exe" and open a PuTTy session:
Host Name: diskstation (or IP address of synology NAS)
Port: 10022
Connection type: SSH

login as: root
root@diskstation's password: ********** (enter here Synology's admin password)

cd /usr/bin
mkdir asset
chmod 777 asset
cd asset

wget http://www.dbpoweramp.com/install/Asset-RaspberryPi.tar.gz

tar -zxvf *.gz
rm *.gz

cd /usr/bin/asset/bin
./AssetUPnP

Close PuTTy

Configure Asset with a web browser and the URL http://diskstation:45537

To autostart Asset, make an 'asset.conf' script file with 'Notepad'
Content of the 'asset.conf' file:
start on started synonetd
stop on runlevel [06]
exec /usr/bin/asset/bin/AssetUPnP

Copy the asset.conf script file from your pc to the /etc/init folder on your NAS.
To do that? download 'WinSCP', install WinSCP and launch WinSCP
Login with:
File protocol: SFTP
Address Host: diskstation (or IP address of synology NAS)
user name: root
password: ********** (enter here Synology's admin password)

Browse on the left window to the 'asset.conf' file
Browse on the right window to the path: /etc/init
Copy the 'asset.conf' file to the /etc/init folder
Close WinSCP

Reboot the Synology NAS

Enjoy

gegges11
12-10-2015, 02:24 AM
Hello all,
do you have any experience with the solution since that last entry from"Oldrocker"?
I´m using ASSET on my PC and will migrate to my NAS DS213j. I have arounf 500CD´s.

cheers

melgoth
12-10-2015, 03:13 PM
Hello all,
do you have any experience with the solution since that last entry from"Oldrocker"?
I´m using ASSET on my PC and will migrate to my NAS DS213j. I have arounf 500CD´s.

cheers

Yes very interesting for me too!
Please post your experience!

I don't know why ASSET isn't official supported for Synology Nas. I'm using DS2411+.
It would be very appreciate if this works that an official version with support will be released!!

thx
melgoth

MartinGr
12-20-2015, 06:37 AM
Yes very interesting for me too!
Please post your experience!

I don't know why ASSET isn't official supported for Synology Nas. I'm using DS2411+.
It would be very appreciate if this works that an official version with support will be released!!

thx
melgoth

I've just bought a 215j - and the instruction to install ASSET (the RaspberryPi version 4.6) worked perfectly. Everything seems to work.

Martin

melgoth
12-21-2015, 02:50 PM
I've just bought a 215j - and the instruction to install ASSET (the RaspberryPi version 4.6) worked perfectly. Everything seems to work.

Martin

Yes you have a supported NAS (CPU). In the meantime I figured out that my NAS is based on another CPU
http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=107921&p=406074*p406074

The boxes use different processors (Intel Atom D525 vs ARMv71), so you'd have to find a binary built for your CPU.

so I have the bad card :-(

melgoth

Wilts_RM
02-08-2016, 12:45 PM
Hi,
Good news for owners of a Synology NAS DS214SE or eq. (same ARM7 core)
You can run Asset for Raspberry Pi on it.

Installation instructions for ASSET on Synology DS214SE

Enable the SSH-service (using port 10022) on the Synology NAS via the diskstation manager under control panel>Terminal and SNMP options

On a windows pc:
Launch "Putty.exe" and open a PuTTy session:
Host Name: diskstation (or IP address of synology NAS)
Connection type: SSH

login as: root
root@diskstation's password: ********** (enter here Synology's admin password)

cd /usr/bin
mkdir asset
chmod 777 asset
cd asset

wget http://www.dbpoweramp.com/install/Asset-RaspberryPi.tar.gz

tar -zxvf *.gz
rm *.gz

cd /usr/bin/asset/bin
./AssetUPnP

Close PuTTy

Configure Asset with a web browser and the URL http://diskstation:45537

To autostart Asset, make an 'asset.conf' script file with 'Notepad'
Content of the 'asset.conf' file:
start on started synonetd
stop on runlevel [06]
exec /usr/bin/asset/bin/AssetUPnP

Copy the asset.conf script file from your pc to the /etc/init folder on your NAS.
To do that? download 'WinSCP', install WinSCP and launch WinSCP
Login with:
File protocol: SFTP
Address Host: diskstation (or IP address of synology NAS)
user name: root
password: ********** (enter here Synology's admin password)

Browse on the left window to the 'asset.conf' file
Browse on the right window to the path: /etc/init
Copy the 'asset.conf' file to the /etc/init folder
Close WinSCP

Reboot the Synology NAS

Enjoy

Hi,

Thanks so much for posting this; that's fantastic! I've followed the steps, and I've been able to get Asset UPnP working on my Synology NAS, so I'm really pleased.

The only trouble I'm having with it is getting it start up automatically. I couldn't S/FTP in to the root account, and a search online suggested that this is a common problem with DSM.

I therefore used Vi to create the file in the relevant directory, but when I restarted the NAS, Asset wasn't running.

Is there anything else I can try? If I could get it to start up with the NAS, that would be perfect.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Best wishes,

Wilts_RM

Spleen
04-03-2016, 11:49 AM
I'm guessing that Asset is still not available for Synology? Having just bought both I'm rather hoping that it is..

PeterP
04-04-2016, 09:02 AM
Asset is not officially supported for Synology devices. We do not provide a proper installer and currently do not plan on making one.

However, we put a lot of effort into making the generic Linux version of Asset as compatible as possible; as you can see from this thread, you can get it running as a generic Linux program on Linux powered NAS units.

Spleen
04-04-2016, 01:56 PM
Ok, thanks. That's well beyond my ability so I guess I'll have to chalk it up and move on.

melgoth
04-05-2016, 04:41 AM
Hi!

I'm still looking for a version for my NAS DS2411+ with Intel Atom D525. I would try to install it manually, based on the guide above, but I need the right build! I couldn't do it by my own. Is there a chance to get it?

PeterP
04-05-2016, 07:56 AM
On Intel Atom, Linux x86 32-bit build would be the first thing to try.

When in doubt, try uploading each of them to the NAS, unpacking and starting up the main program manually over SSH to see if it runs or not.

melgoth
04-05-2016, 02:30 PM
ok thanks will try it

hecaitomex
05-21-2016, 04:02 AM
hey!
have u tried it melgoth?
im sad that asset upnp is not available for synology now, although community waiting for it is growing, nevertheless i ordered a ds216+ as my new nas wich has a intel celeron 64bit cpu, and i would like to ask what you guys think, wheter the debian intel 64bit manual installer might be working on this ship?
appreciate any recommendations of you pros, as my knowledge is limited to follow instructions above, but not much more.
thanks
H

melgoth
05-21-2016, 11:52 AM
Hi hecaitomex!

I haven't done it until now. I'm not so familiar with Linux and have to prepare myself before doing this but got no time doing it. When finished I will post it here, but you have to be patience. - sorry for that.

best regards

hecaitomex
05-22-2016, 01:15 PM
thanks oldrocker, your posts let me hope that it might work.
what i want to know is if u think wether it might work or not to install the debian intel 64 bit package on the ds216+, im asking because DSM isnt a debian distro.
btw: for those having problems with getting root acces to the DS, before loggin in as root you have to login as admin (via SSH) and type: "sudo -i", thereafter you will be logged in as root, otherwise access will be denied.
kind regards
h

hecaitomex
05-23-2016, 04:14 AM
good news for owners of Intel-Based Synologys!
just got my DS216+ and first thing i did was to install the "asset Upnp debian intel 64bit installer" following oldrockers instructions, and it works perfectly!
only thing to add is that i do not get acces to my nas via SSH as root at first, its always neccessary to login as admin first, then type "sudo -i" and therafter you will have root acces, what is needed to copy the asset.conf into the init folder.
i was not able to make this with winscp (because not knowing how to swicht from admin to root inside the running program), i just copied the asset.conf file via SMB (windows) into the music folder (used by ausiostation), startet putty, logged on as admin, switched to root, and copied the filde via "cp /volume1/music/asset.conf /etc/init" to the init folder, thats it.
thanks for your help guys!
h

Laurent69
05-23-2016, 11:30 AM
Hello folks, I tried this on a DS415+ synology and it worked fine !
Thanks !!
Laurent

melgoth
05-26-2016, 04:36 PM
thx to hecaitomex & Laurent69 for their posts - fine to hear that asset Upnp works on DS216+ and DS415+
and in special thx to hecaitomex for his explaining text

martyn62
06-01-2016, 11:43 AM
I get all the way until the end and then when I type ./AssetUPnP I get the message...

-ash: ./AssetUPnP: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error

Using a RS812+. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

martyn62
06-01-2016, 11:45 AM
I get all the way until the end and then when I type ./AssetUPnP I get the message...

-ash: ./AssetUPnP: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error

Using a RS812+. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Think I've worked this out for myself. I'm trying to run an executable compiled for an ARM architecture on x86-64 architecture doh.

PepsiCan
06-05-2016, 05:33 AM
On the one hand it is good Agent works on Synology Arm. On the other hand, Illustrate is charging money for software it will then not support? Hmm...

In the consumer market Synology and Qnap are equal in sales based on the numbers I have seen.

Dat Ei
06-05-2016, 10:16 AM
On the other hand, Illustrate is charging money for software it will then not support? Hmm...

But isn't it so, that those people would buy deliberately a software for an unsupported hardware and platform? Hmm...

Dat Ei

PepsiCan
06-05-2016, 02:44 PM
But isn't it so, that those people would buy deliberately a software for an unsupported hardware and platform? Hmm...

Dat Ei

My point is merely that Illustrate is causing a grey area. On the one hand they sticky a thread on the company's forum that describes how to install AssetUPnP on Synology for ARM. On the other hand, they won't support it. Yet, through the link they indicate there is some support. So, how far does that go? No standard packaging and icons and all that. But there is support to install it. Does that also mean that when it installs but in the future there is a problem, there is help? Or no help? Or a little bit of help? And now we have gone from a categorical "not supported" to a "we try to enable on as many platforms as possible". So, what is the next step? Full support? Will this be it? Create clarity, communicate the plan.

mville
06-06-2016, 08:22 AM
My point is merely that Illustrate is causing a grey area. On the one hand they sticky a thread on the company's forum that describes how to install AssetUPnP on Synology for ARM. On the other hand, they won't support it. Yet, through the link they indicate there is some support. So, how far does that go? No standard packaging and icons and all that. But there is support to install it. Does that also mean that when it installs but in the future there is a problem, there is help? Or no help? Or a little bit of help? And now we have gone from a categorical "not supported" to a "we try to enable on as many platforms as possible". So, what is the next step? Full support? Will this be it? Create clarity, communicate the plan.

After reading this thread, it seems very clear to me.

"No current plans to release for Synology" and "Asset is not officially supported for Synology"

That does not mean you can't try it though.

PepsiCan
06-06-2016, 08:36 AM
After reading this thread, it seems very clear to me.

"No current plans to release for Synology" and "Asset is not officially supported for Synology"

That does not mean you can't try it though.

Yes, and then after 30 days I need to pay money. But I don't get the same aftercare. A statement like "if you can install it and run it, we'll support it." seems fairer to me.

Dat Ei
06-06-2016, 12:07 PM
Yes, and then after 30 days I need to pay money.

You don't need to pay. It's up to you and it's your personal decision to buy a software, that is not supported for your hardware.

But I don't get the same aftercare. A statement like "if you can install it and run it, we'll support it." seems fairer to me.

Fairer? You expect a service that you did not and can not pay for, because nobody has offered this service.

Dat Ei

mville
06-06-2016, 02:50 PM
Yes, and then after 30 days I need to pay money. But I don't get the same aftercare. A statement like "if you can install it and run it, we'll support it." seems fairer to me.

You don't need to pay. It's up to you and it's your personal decision to buy a software, that is not supported for your hardware.

I agree with Dat Ei. The software is not supported for Synology, so the decision is yours. No-one is forcing you to buy Asset.

stefanradev
06-07-2016, 03:53 AM
Hi MartinGr,

Can you help me to install it using a MAC? I don't have a Windows PC.