PDA

View Full Version : Ripping an IFPI copy-controlled CD: Is it possible in Windows?

HartleySan
04-26-2014, 02:24 PM
I recently purchased a used CD that was produced in 2003 by EMI, and it has IFPI Copy Control on it.
I would like to use EAC to rip the tracks from the disc, but that does not seem to be possible.
Is there any way to rip the audio tracks off of this CD in Windows 7?

Thank you.

Spoon
04-26-2014, 05:01 PM
It is more down to the drive than software.

HartleySan
04-26-2014, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the reply, Spoon, but could you please be a bit more specific?

According to Device Manager in Windows, I have an ATAPI iHOS104 ATA drive.
I just bought this drive recently, so I would think that it could handle anything that copy protection from 2003 has to offer... but I guess not.

Any advice?
Thanks.

PepsiCan
04-27-2014, 03:53 AM
Thanks for the reply, Spoon, but could you please be a bit more specific?

According to Device Manager in Windows, I have an ATAPI iHOS104 ATA drive.
I just bought this drive recently, so I would think that it could handle anything that copy protection from 2003 has to offer... but I guess not.

Any advice?
Thanks.

Maybe the manufacturer figured they did not want to be 10 years backward compatible. Also, copy protection is not part of Red Book and as such it is not mandatory for a manufacturer to implement it to be red book compliant. Last but not least, copy protection was there to prevent people from copying and there was pressure on the hardware manufacturers to fall in line.

Try an alternative drive? Also, can you see the files in Windows Explorer? If not, then it is likely the drive not being able to cope with the CD. I recently had it with my Denon Blu-ray player. Wouldn't recognise a CD. Then played it on my computer drive and presto.

HartleySan
04-27-2014, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the detailed explanation, PepsiCan.
What you said makes sense, and I cannot see the audio files when I view the CD from Explorer. I can see the corresponding data files from EAC, but I can't do anything with them.

I'll probably just bring my MacBook Pro from work home tomorrow, and rip the CD from iTunes on Mac OS X. That has worked in the past for me with other EMI CDs from that era.
Thank you.

As a last question, are there any drives in particular that you recommend that would be able to read these types of IFPI copy-controlled CDs in Windows 7?
And if I have a drive that can properly read these CDs, what software would I want to use to rip the CDs to uncompressed WAV files?

Thanks again.

c-eling
04-27-2014, 09:45 PM
Not sure on the drives, but I have a newer pc that had the same issues with copycontrol, I had to use my old super writemaster external and has worked for everything but Peter Gabriel's UP promo, still can't crack that one, I had to hook up my oppo to a usb adc and transfer like I was doing a needledrop, As your on Spoon's forum I would highly recommend dbpoweramp, well worth the $$ :)

HartleySan
04-28-2014, 07:22 AM
Thanks for the reply, c-eling.
I have no problem using dDpoweramp if it works, but I need to know what kind of currently available drive I can buy to even crack everything in the first place.
Thanks.

Spoon
04-28-2014, 09:22 AM
It is very difficult to say, drives constantly change, and there are many different copy protections, which affect different drives, differently.

PepsiCan
04-28-2014, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the reply, c-eling.
I have no problem using dDpoweramp if it works, but I need to know what kind of currently available drive I can buy to even crack everything in the first place.
Thanks.
But that is the point. DBPoweramp does work. It is the hardware that is the problem here. No matter what software you will use, if the hardware can't see the files then that is the end of the line.

garym
04-28-2014, 01:27 PM
But that is the point. DBPoweramp does work. It is the hardware that is the problem here. No matter what software you will use, if the hardware can't see the files then that is the end of the line.

and dbpa program itself is not designed to break any and all copy protection routines. So it may or may not work.

shaboo
04-30-2014, 02:03 PM
I own about twenty copy protected CDs that were manufactured between 2000 and 2006 and was able to rip about half of these with an older version of Exact Audio Copy. It's the version 0.95 prebeta 3, which was the last one that included the options "Retrieve Native TOC" and "Detect TOC Manually". Regarding those CDs I wasn't able to rip with this EAC version, I won't give any advice, because I'm afraid this may be not allowed on this forum.

c-eling
04-30-2014, 03:44 PM
Interesting Shaboo, I'll have to try the Gabriel disc , I have that old EAC for Pre Emph purposes, thanks :)

HartleySan
05-01-2014, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the pointer, shaboo. I will definitely remember that for future instances of these discs.
I ended up just using iTunes on Mac OS X to rip the disc. It instantly ripped everything without any issues.